“Anniversary Treat...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel

You added Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel to your Saves list
Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Lowndes Street, London SW1X 9ES, England (Belgravia)   |
Ranked #192 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Anniversary Treat...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I managed to book a surprise hotel stay in London for our anniversary.
I booked the Jumeirah Lowndes (boutique hotel) for it's convenient position to our itinerary for the day .We have used Jumeirah hotels in Abu-Dhabi and Dubai, so knew what to expect. The Hotel is situated in a very nice square, and is a very safe part of London.
I got a reasonable rate room, not base, but not top level.
The staff were very polite, as in all Jumeirah hotels. The service was exceptional.
We needed valet parking, which was highly efficient .The room was of a very high standard, and all the usual comforts were there.We loved the decoration of the hotel, and the rooms very clean.
If i was going to have one negative it would have to be the exterior appearance! I know you don't look at the outside from within, but we avoided any outside photo shots of the building. It was not in any poor condition or disrepair, but it looks like a 1970's block of apartments.
That said we loved every minute here, the Terrace lounge food was excellent and the staff refreshingly helpful and polite. The costs were not high considering where you are in London. Harrods being a 10minute walk, and Hyde Park the same. All the museums are within easy walking distance.
If you need a comfortable, reasonably priced hotel in London, then you wont go far wrong with the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel.
We loved it, and would recommend it to our friends, family and any travelers who want comfort at a fair price.

Room Tip: The Fitness center, Pool and Spa are located in the sister hotel Jumeirah Carlton Tower, however thi...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
JumeirahGroup, General Manager at Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you very much for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate that the building does not represent an architectural huighlight within its neighbourhood but hope that what happens inside the hotel more than compensates for this! Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Westcountry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

It is with shock and regret that it must be reported that a jewel of London's boutique hotels has fallen. Whilst the service as ever is second to none as you would expect from a Jumeirah. A dear friend has been badly vandalised. The peace and quiet of the retreat that was the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel is no more.

It is very hard to understand why such a cheap refit and redesign has been allowed by the Jumeirah group. The rooms have lost all their old character charm and warmth. For reasons beyond understanding all the doors have been replaced and the large mirrors that gave the rooms a feeling of space removed. In the past there was a satisfying clunk when the sturdy door closed behind you and you were in an oasis of quiet, now every word is heard in the corridor and guest in adjoining rooms may as well throw open the door and join the party.

The re-design is a disaster with a Premier Inn refit. Rooms that had a luxurious and understated charm now have the minimalist feel of a motorway Motel. The Jumeriah team would be well advised not to repeat the mistake at the flagship Carlton Tower. A night or two at the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel was something to look forward to - sadly no longer.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not book a room with an adjoining door or you will be listening to your next door n...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
JumeirahGroup, General Manager at Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your review and obviously I am very disappointed that you are not happy with the recent refurbishment of the bedrooms. As the person overseeing the project I am sad that you no longer look forward to coming to stay with us.
I would just like to mention a couple of points in response. The first is that we did not replace any of the doors or door furniture – they are exactly the same doors as they were before with the only difference being the change we made to the surface treatment. I am therefore at a loss to explain why there is any change in the acoustics of the room, but appreciate that this affected your stay.
With regards to the mirrors, as you say we chose to replace the mirrors over the bedhead with artwork. However, we understand the sense of space that the mirrors created and so relocated them to the wall adjacent to the bed and have actually increased the square meterage of mirrored surfaces in the rooms.
The new furniture is admittedly less traditional than the previous fittings, but the design scheme aimed to contemporise the look and feel of the room, and through the improved quality of the fabrics and furniture, to increase the sense of luxury.
I would be very happy to speak directly with you on any of these points, but I am sorry that the new product is not to your liking.
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Jumeirah always deliver high quality of stay around the world? The answer is yes, as a frequent traveler to Dubai and the first meeting with Jumeirah for 7 years ago, when its possible I always try to stay at Jumeirah.
This was the first time inn London and first stay at Jumeirah Lowndes, a perfect Hotel inn quiet surrounding only a few minutes walk to shopping, parks and typical English pubs. The staff was only a second away to give you a helping hand or just make sure that’s every thing is ok. The breakfast, a lot of fresh fruits, perhaps for a not so small man from Sweden could have some more to choose to, but topping with perfect prepared Egg Benedict the breakfast was complete.
The room was very nice and the sleeping comfort inn the beds was as you expect for Jumeirah very comfortable. Just a perfect weekend stay. As another not so small man from Austria said: Ill be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words and I am pleased that you enjoyed both the location and the service of the hotel, and that these matched the standards that you have come to expect from Jumeirah. We hope to see you again - Hasta la Vista !!
Tyne and Wear
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed here for the first time. Have stayed in Jumeirah hotels in Dubai and would not stay anywhere else. Thought I would give this hotel a go as I was travelling with my teenage son.
This is a wonderful, relaxing hotel. Perfect for singles and families as this is a very informal hotel, but this does not mean any reduction in the high standards of service you expect from a Jumeirah hotel. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful, extremely comfortable rooms and good quality food and drink. all located in a very safe area of London with green and open spaces.
For London prices this hotel also offers good value.
What more could you want.
Returning next week with all of the family.

Room Tip: Executive room with balcony overlooking square on 6th floor quiet and great views.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your positive review, and we are delighted that your enjoyment of your first visit prompted you to return with the whole family. We hope to see you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The good: location.
the average: service was overall ok. Nothing special, but not bad either.
the bad: I think here it was about the details. It's definitely not a cheap place to stay (I think with a discount it was still close to 300GBP/night for a single room, but the overall experience was really just not special at all. The bathroom design was sad, water spilled everywhere when I showered. The bed was too soft. I also got my wake up call late twice (even though I should mention another time when i did not answer the phone because i was in the shower, there was someone quickly up to my door).
There was also no space to sit outside and work, except for the restaurant, in case you need to work. And there was no gym in premises, even though you do get access to the one across the corner at the other Jumeirah, which I was told has a full pool, but I just was not interested.

So, I suppose it depends on what you value, but in general I think you can get the same basics in a good location elsewhere for a better rate.

Room Tip: If you are staying pick a room on either of the top two floors. The windows in the first floor are t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
JumeirahGroup, General Manager at Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review but I am obviously disappointed that you did not feel that the facilities and services on offer met your expectations. We appear to have missed telling you about a number of facilities including our meeting room where guests have a peaceful environment in which to work as well as the Peak Health Club and Spa, and I apologise for the late wake up call which is something that falls well below our normal standards. Thank you again for letting us know your views, and I apologise for the fact that we did not live up to your expectations.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel is in a nice area, really nice staff, actually one of the best staff I've ever had.
Everyone is really kind and helpfull.
Location is great and close to a metro station and close to hyde park, it has a lot of nice restaurants and markets if necessary. The streets are lovely and you can easily find yourself in the city from there.
They have a restaurant, room service, and other services such as gym and pool are available in the building across the street, where they have another hotel from the same chain.
Room has a nice size and so does the bathroom, would definitely stay there again.
It is pricy, but you pay for what you get.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your kind review and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us -we look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Stayed at the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel for one night whilst attending a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. It was a special celebration night for us as a couple.

I made the room booking via Hotels.com for a Superior room and requested a high floor, a quiet room away from the lift and with a view. We also expected a bath with a shower. What we were allocated was a room on the second floor which was designed for disabled guests with a wet room (no bath), low floor (not high as requested), and the room was a few steps from the lift and looking over the taxi rank in Lowndes Street. Perfect for traffic noise! Just not ideal for a couple who live in the quiet of the English countryside.

I do not believe that there is a classification of room below a Superior, so therefore this classification of room is really a “standard room”. Although perfectly clean, with top class facilities, these rooms are extremely small! As an example of just how small – there was no room on one side of the bed for any form of bedside cabinet with just about 30cm between the bed and the wall.

Everything else about the accommodation and hotel was acceptable or excellent. We had lunch on the terrace which was good except there is no area of the terrace which is enclosed and it rained. Later, we ate dinner in the restaurant which was also good. Used the bar for a few drinks after the concert and had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning. We found all the staff highly professional, friendly and hard-working. Food choice and quality was OK.

The main aspect we did not like at all was the service charges automatically added to every single item (even at the bar). Given that a stay in this hotel is not cheap, I fail to understand how the cost of service is not included. (Actually, I think I know the answer – pure greed and it’s easy to rip-off the many international guests who know no different). We are firm believers that gratuities should be discretionary and given only when service is exceptional. Believe me, the use of automatic service charges is not common practise in the UK (in fact it is very, very rare – we know because we travel a lot and only stay in top quality places). A service charge of £10 even appeared on the bill for what must have been the included “turn down service”.

To improve the perception of a “service culture” particularly to international guests (who may not know they are being fleeced) the Jumeirah Lowndes would do well to drop all the service charges and add “gratuities are discretionary” to all their menu/price lists.

On the positive side, the hotel is run with great efficiency, all services and food was good (although extremely expensive, about double what one should normally expect to pay). The staff have the right attention to detail.

We both enjoy luxury (we are fortunately that we can afford to stay in top quality hotels around the world) and the Jumeirah Lowndes is certainly luxurious. But, would we stay there again? Sadly, probably not as overall we believe it did not represent “good enough value for the high price we paid”.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review and while I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of the hotel, I am pbviously disappointed that you felt that we did not provide good value for money. Whilst it is Jumeirah policy to operate a "no tipping" environment, and to automatically add a discretionary service charge to the bill (which can be taken off on request), I appreciate that you would rather be given the option to tip if you felt the service was good rather than ask for the charge to be removed if you were not satisfied. I am sorry that reduced the enjoyment of your stay.

Been to Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel? Share your experiences!