“Good value but with some rough edges” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Longer
Ranked #180 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good value but with some rough edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in the second week of August. First the good stuff: We wanted something in the centre of town and this hotel is very well located. Its close to a number of cafe & restaurants, very close to Harrods and some high-end shopping with a tube station also nearby. If you like a bit of a walk, Buckingham palace, sloane square, picadilly etc are also within a 30-45 minutes walk. With free wifi and free breakfast the hotel is certainly very good value and this too at the peak of the tourist season. The hotel staff are very helpful, attentive and courteous and made our stay a pleasant one.

Now the not-so-good stuff: the rooms are small. we felt our deluxe room was a standard room but named deluxe only because of the free wifi. there was also no free bottle of water or fruit in the room which was a bummer. when one is paying upwards of $200 per night one expect at least a complimentary bottle of water. breakfast is basic but adequate. we heard some guests complaining that the food ran out by 9:30 but we usually had our breakfast by 9 a.m. so we didnt face problems. though breakfast was included in the price, we were informed at check-out that in-fact only continental breakfast was included and they charged me for some extras like an omellete. this was quite sneaky but we were in a rush to check-out so we didnt wait to argue. the phone-calls were ridiculously expensive. we were charged upwards of 45 pounds for a short-call made to peterborough. i've never heard of such expensive phone calls in any five star hotel.

Overall impression: the hotel is definitely not 5 star thought it is rated as so on many websites. if you want free wifi and breakfast and want to stay in the centre of town then this is probably worth it. if you want a luxury holiday then there are plenty of other options available.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed here for the past three days prior to a meeting. I loved it! Staff were absolutely wonderful. Friendly, helpful, so kind! Rooms were spotless, great location. Can't say enough great things about it. Thank you to everyone there!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Portola Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Just discovered this little gem of a hotel in Knightsbridge/Belgravia/Chelsea (can't figure out which yet, to be honest). From the moment we stepped in the lobby, we were greeted as if we were favored regulars - they guessed the name on the reservation and from that moment forward the service continued to be impeccable. The rooms are smallish, but enough room for two and are nicely furnished with an amazingly comfy bed and a well appointed bathroom. The hotel has a small, full bar downstairs and complimentary wireless. Would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Look for package on LuxuryLink.com-includes daily breakfast & champagne/choc strawberries in roo...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
JumeirahLowndesHotel, General Manager at Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel and on behalf of the team here I thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you back with us in the future. Ian Richardson & the JLH Team
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed for one night at the Jumeirah Lowndes and the reason I chose it was because of its premium location, overall image and branding of the Jumeirah Group as well as due to the fact that in London, hotel rates are so high and even the lousiest and further can cost you about the same price. These are few of the reasons for my choice.

The location of the hotel is superb because its right at the heart of Knightsbridge (shoppers paradise and premier district in London). Walking distance of less than five minutes to the underground tube and stones throwaway from various luxury fashion label boutiques and famous departmental stores like Harvey Nichols and Harrods. Those looking for other "entertainment' can go ahead with throwing some cash at the Park Lane Casino at Sheraton Park Lane about 100metres away.

Service was wonderful but there was a slight glitch when I arrived (being my first stay with this Dubai based hotel group and high expectations of Jumeirah). I had to wait for quite some time for the Front Desk Agents to receive me because the system was down, they had to do manual check-in. My Sirius membership was not recorded despite informing upon reservation. The next glitch was when I switched on the air-condition in the room and it was warm air. The room became so warm I had to call for the maintenance department! They got it fixed pretty promptly as well as for several requests.

The room size was good, large enough for two or even three guests but the bathroom was a little too small! It is a little rectangle and that is about it. Bathroom amenities were good!

The bed was comfortable but I suspect they combined two single beds to make it a king. But overall, the texture of the sheets and softness of the beds and pillows were up to expectations for a good nights sleep.

Unfortunately, the hotel only rolled out the complimentary WIFI in all guestrooms a few weeks after I checked out.

Service was not extremely personalised as promised on their website etc but I was impressed by the service provided by the sister-hotel Jumeirah Carlton Towers. I arrived at the wrong hotel, as I had a long day traveling, and the bellman at Carlton Towers assisted me with my bags for transfer to Lowndes and assured me that it will arrive safely when I check in to my room - and IT DID! Thats really a thumbs up for being flexible, thoughtful and helpful to guests arriving at the wrong hotel!

Overall, the hotel is boutique-style, smaller in size for an international chain and service is generally not as personalised as promised but up to standards. The hotels facade is pretty run-down and you can completely miss it as there is no proper signage of the hotels name or logo. Dont expect a grand arrival because the hotels main entrance is small and it does not have a driveway or porch. But neverthess, I hope the management/owner will look into upgrading the hotel's appearance to ease travelers staying there, especially when they get there using other means of transportation and not taxis.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
JumeirahLowndesHotel, General Manager at Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and for your detailed comments which really help us to improve what we do. I am pleased that you were satisfied with the service overall but we will work on the personalisation of this service as you request. I apologise for the check-in glitch which was due to system maintenance and we will certainly look to improve the exterior of the hotel and to make ourselves more noticeable! Hopefully we wil lbe able to welcome you back when you are next in London. Thank you again for your review.
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed at the Jumeriah Lowndes from 15 May 2011 until 1 June and I cannot recommend the hotel enough. The rooms, while small, were clean and comfortable and the service was outstanding. A wonderful experience - I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Well done Jumeriah.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Livingston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. It was very clean, but room a little small compared to previous London hotels we've stayed in. Service was lovely. Tea out of a stainless steel vacuum flask at breakfast was very disappointing! Will however stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
stamford lincs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I love staying in this hotel especially in the summer when they have the bbq at the back of the hotel in the court yard, its very private not so touristy the food is very good and I love the rooms, its a small friendly hotel very clean very good service and probably my fav in london, its around the corner from sloane street and a few doors away from christian louboutins shoe shop so its perfectly located lol....its quiet private and very nice

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel? Share your experiences!