“Shockingly Mediocre” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The May Fair Hotel

You added The May Fair Hotel to your Saves list
The May Fair Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stratton Street, London W1J 8LT, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 20%
Ranked #246 of 1,066 Hotels in London
San Antonio, Texas
“Shockingly Mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

When I arrived late in the evening I didn't think much of the check in process, but I did take great offense to my bags not being taken to my room when I left for dinner. Further, I thought it was outrageous that I had to drag my luggage through the hotel like I was at the airport after I returned from a nice dinner with my wife. I was never shown to my room and spent a good time wandering around the halls before an orderly, who expressed some annoyance, pointed in the general direction of my room. Throughout my stay the details were off, significantly. Rotten fruit on display, service tables were left in the hall too long, staff that did not say 'good morning' when I said it to them and plain food. The staff made me feel like I was at a Motel in middle America rather than a 5 star hotel.

The rooms are spacious and fairly well appointed. Bathrooms are generous and modern. Beds were comfortable enough, however, I am canceling my reservation for next month.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your review which I was extremely concerned to read.
I am so sorry you were disappointed with your vist and please do accept my personal apologies for the service you received.
I do hope you will reconsider and stay with us in the future as I would really like you to experience The May Fair as one should. If you do decide to return, please do let my office know so I can have the pleasure of meeting with you. I really do hope this will be the case.
Anthony Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I think the reason this hotel gets average reviews is that its not a WOW hotel its clean comfortable and classic London hotel in a super location, just a short walk away from everything you need in a London stay. Attention to detail is good and staff are friendly. The cocktail bar is buzzing and lively. The spa is nice but the atmosphere seems to be lacking and the relaxation room was a little too dark, soft music might have helped so we decided not to book a treatment but was shown around by a very helpful member of staff. Breakfast was lovely and lots to choose from.
Nice to have bubbles and chocolate in our room on arrival cant really fault anything at all but have had more of the WOW factor at some other hotels for the same price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your positive feedback.
We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had an awful time 3 years ago but it was suggested I try again. Nothing to complain about. Clean, large rooms, comfortable beds, good breakfast, friendly doormen. Great location and I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear your return visit was an enjoyable one.
We do hope to welcome you back to The May Fair once again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a very expensive hotel, catering to the rich and famous who shop at Hermes, Sotheby's, Rolls Royce, and numerous other posh shops in the Bond St and Regent St area. The room we had goes for £500 a night! This was only a standard king room too, I think they called it Superior. The only reason we stayed is we had enough Club Carlson points to stay for free so decided to stay the last two nights there. I'd be really upset if we had paid over £1000 for the two nights, which I would not.

The décor in this hotel is lovely. The room was very tasteful and inviting. The mini-bar is a good way to add unknown extra charges on many bills. A small notice in English, which not everyone speaks, or can read, as the sign is very low down, to say that if you touch anything you will be charged electronically, instantly. Luckily my husband noticed the sign, after I had looked in there, and obviously must have touched them to read a couple of labels. They did remove the charge of £16 for two bottles of liquor (that were still there) when I asked about it the next day. I'm positive this must happen to many others who don't notice it on their bill. We ate the first burger of our two week stay in London at the Mayfair Bar, Although well presented, and served by at least two waitpersons, it was very dry and tasteless. The only flavour was the ONE onion ring and the condiments served with it. We both had indigestion the entire night following that dinner. The area of course being Mayfair, is very nice. We prefer not to be bothered in a hotel, and like to get our own ice from machines on each floor. Really don't need to have someone knocking in the evening to turn down the bed while we sit there either. I would also expect decent coffee in the room, not instant in a little paper sleeve. They have Nespresso machines in the Park Plazas. A little teapot would also be a nice touch. The bathtub was extremely slippery, and could use a grab-bar a little higher up as well. I have to wonder how they have the nerve to offer those white disposable slippers for sale, should you want an extra pair to take home (??), for £15! The robe (standard waffle) was £95. Staff were courteous though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for your extensive feedback.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed some aspects of your stay but sorry to hear that certain parts did not meet with your expectations.
I will certainly follow up on your feedback and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The May Fair and if you do return, it would be a pleasure for me to meet with you.
With best wishes,
Newmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed here in February for a friends birthday, we stayed in a double room which was very spacious and lovely decorated, the weird/odd thing I thought about the room was that the wardrobe/clothes storage was in the Bathroom? Surely if you were staying here a few days or longer your clothes would get damp by the condensation, but that maybe just me thinking its odd? Beds comfy, offering a well stocked mini bar also
Excellent location within walking distance to Regent St & Bond Street, breakfast was amazing! Room service was good as well,
We enjoyed some very nice cocktails in the bar, nice touch offering water at reception as you check in (still & sparkling)
Will be staying here again in September :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us celebrating your friends birthday!
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in September.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Mayfair is my company's main hotel in london and it is one of the best I have stayed in the city. London is rather notorious for terrible hotels, but this is not one of them. I have probably stayed here 6-7 times over the last three years and always enjoyed my time here.

The lobby is very modern and has a terrific smell to it. Scented water is offered to guests as you wait in line for check in.

Rooms are modern and I usually get some sort of small gift upon arrival (tasty chocolates). The room size is very good for london, with king sized beds and well equipped bathrooms.

Room service is reasonably good, but there are better options for dining in the neighborhood. The fitness center is on the small side, but has all the necessary equipment.

In short, this is about the top 5% for london hotels. For anything better, you will pay triple the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stays with us.
Your compliments are a pleasure to read and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Approaching the hotel, paparazzi were outside photographing Downton Abbey stars. While there were doormen present, we had to open the door ourselves with our luggage as they were busy with the crowd outside.

Entered the foyer which was nice and more intimate than expected. There was alot of staff well dressed and groomed but no one approached us so we made our own way to a space in front of reception. The staff member did not greet us so we poured ourselves a glass of water. We waited a few minutes and eventually had to introduce ourselves to the staff member. We mentioned we wanted a quiet room due to being very light sleepers. We were allocated a beautiful room on the 5th floor but sadly this overlooked a busy road junction outside. Being a fussy sleeper, I asked for a room change to a quieter location and was moved to an inside room on the 8th floor. While the room was nice, it did not live up to the standard of the 1st room and I could see air conditioning generators outside which I hoped wouldn't be too noisy.

If you are a light sleeper, bear in mind this hotel is in central London, so expect road traffic noise on the outer rooms and A/C generators in inner rooms on high floors.

We decided to go out immediately and met a receptionist in the lift who enquired if our room was ok. I didnt want to seem rude and politely said it was fine. We had a nice chat for the few minutes in the lift.

On leaving the hotel, it was raining- again while there was alot of staff, it took quite a while to get an umbrella from hotel staff.

On returning to our room, we were so disappointed to hear all the noise from the air conditioning machines situated around the top floor above us. Even with the TV, it was still noisy.

The next morning we decided to ring reception and ask for a room change again. While we accepted this would inconvenience the staff, we were very disappointed with their attitude. We were told the hotel was booked out and the only room available was a noisy room on the 2nd floor. The staff member also said 'you can't be changing rooms left right and centre and why would you want to move back to the other side of the hotel when you moved from it because of it being a noisy location'.

We gave up our room change request and stayed a further night. With the noisy generators again and doors banging from other rooms early the next morning, we decided to check out a day earlier than planned.

While we accept our initial room change was our choice, at no stage did we feel we were offered 5 star treatment from the staff. While they responded to our enquiries, it felt quite clinical.

On another note, if you go to the gym, while the staff member was friendly in between phone calls with other customers, you will not be given a locker key if you don't have ID or the hotel card with your room number listed on it.

Lastly, while the carpets in the hallways are very soft, they look like they need steam cleaning.

On a positive when we checked out early, the person that checked us out was very nice. It's just a shame the same level of hospitality isn't afforded to guests earlier.

While many people will love this hotel, its location and as I mentioned our initial room was beautiful, I will not be staying again as it did not match previous experiences in other 5 star hotels.

We left the hotel and moved to another hotel for our last night and thankfully got great treatment even though it was graded a 4 star deluxe hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for you review which I was concerned to read.
I would like to offer you my personal apologies for the attitude of the Receptionist you encountered. This is totally unrepresentative of the standards of service we strive to achieve at The May Fair and I am just so sorry for this.
I will certainly follow up your additional feedback and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I am sorry to hear you say you won't be returning to The May Fair and if you do change your mind, which I personally very much hope, please do contact my office so I can have the opportunity of meeting with you.
Anthony Lee

Been to The May Fair Hotel? Share your experiences!