“Great hotel, great location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The May Fair Hotel

Save Saved
You added The May Fair Hotel to your Saves list
The May Fair Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stratton Street, London W1J 8LT, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 20%
Ranked #255 of 1,075 hotels in London
Carlow, Ireland
“Great hotel, great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Initially got off to a bad start at the hotel. I had booked a deluxe room, but when I arrived at the room my heart sank. It was half the size off what I expected. And the bathroom was also smaller. I was very disappointed. I was only in the room 5 minutes when the reception rang and asked me if I was happy with my room. When I expressed my disappointment, she informed me that it was because I had requested a smoking room and the balcony took up half the floor space. Because I had quit smoking the week before I asked her if it was possible to go into a non smoking room.. Absolutely no problem. When I arrived at the new room I was delighted. It was exactly what was on the Internet photo and as was described. Couldn't have been happier. The rest of the stay was great. Breakfast every morning was superb. My only gripe was with the evening meal. The bar restaurant wasn't to my taste and the quince restaurant's menu was also not to my taste. But this was purely a personal thing and I'm sure other users were perfectly happy with the choice. But there wasn't a problem as there are plenty of places to eat nearby. Would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Don't go for a smoking room. They are not value for money.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear you were happy with the second room you occupied and Reception looked after you.
I was sorry to hear that our menus were not to your taste. We are currently reviewing the menu offering in Quince and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future occasion so you can sample this.
With my best wishes,

2,065 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Turkish first
Paignton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

fantastic hotel for service ,quality and position, very attentive staff room was excellent an upgrade i believe in my case , birthday surprise from the dependents! nice ambience around the hotel food and breakfast very good, bars lively but quiet, i was on the 5th floor beds good and equipment, shower trays,be careful where you have your shower head pointing tendency to leak out over. reception staff excellent particularly Stephanie. Buzzing bar on Saturday night but no problem.Great location for walking or underground.
Would definately stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for your kind compliments. I have taken note of your feedback about our shower trays and this is something I will follow up with my Head of Maintenance.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Washington, D.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This review is only for the customer service I have received from The May Fair in advance of a planned stay in February. In November, based on the reviews of this hotel from my colleagues, I booked four nights for February 2013. In mid-January, I learned that I would have to cancel my planned trip to London and reschedule for later in the year due to professional conflicts. When I tried to cancel my reservation, I was told that I would not be refunded the price of my stay (approx $1500 - the entire amount had to be paid in advance). I was shocked to learn this, as it was unclear from both The May Fair's website at the time of booking and from my hotel confirmation that the penalty for cancellation would be the entire amount of my stay. I exchanged several emails with someone in reservations, and was told that although I would not be refunded my money, I would receive a credit to be used within 90 days. I explained that I would not be able to travel from the US to London within the 90 days, and that The May Fair was essentially taking upwards of $1500 from me for nothing. I never received a response, which I interpreted to mean "too bad." This is NOT the type of service I expected from an alleged 5-star hotel. In fact, when compared with other hotels of this quality - for example, The Savoy or The Ritz, where I have previously stayed on business - I found this policy to be appalling. I have shared my story with many of my colleagues, who also travel to London regularly on business, and we will be staying at other hotels in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your review which firstly I have only just seen on the website and secondly I was extremely disappointed to read.
I would appreciate you contacting our Front of House Manager to discuss this further and I am just so sorry for the inconvenience you have been caused.
With kind regards,
Stoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

As I have just said in my title, in terms of hotels in London which I have stayed in, this is definitely the best! The service was always friendly and helpful, particularly one lady, Pauline, at breakfast who was always attentive and helpful and extremely friendly! The beds are extremely comfortable, the rooms look gorgeous and the location is perfect, close enough to walk to Regent Street and Oxford Street, and right next to a tube station for travel further away. I will definitely try to go back!

• Stayed January 2013
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you so much for your compliments about Pauline, I will be sure to pass these onto her.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

For a one-night experience, I was very happy. Great location, friendly service upon check-in, classy room, loved the US-capable plug in-room, comfy bed and nice linens, breakfast included. The concierge got me a last minute reservation at Nobu too.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your overnight stay with us and thank you also for your kind comments which were a pleasure to read.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here for New Years Eve end I would agree with previous reviewers that this hotel does not deserve 5 stars.

The room we had booked was a deluxe but I am certain it was just a standard room, it was noisy with music from the bar. We ordered room service breakfast and it was cold, asked for some cream cheese to go with the toast and were brought (and charged for) a cheese board. Turndown service didn't turn up. On checkout we found £700+ of charges that we hadn't made had been charged to our room and it took a long time to get it sorted out.

We had some drinks in the bar one night and it was very busy, I would have expected some preference for hotel guests to at least get a seat, and for the aspirations that it has the cocktails weren't really that good.

I would say this place was a perfectly acceptable 4 star hotel, room was a good size, comfortable and clean, it has good restaurant and bar facilities (even if they are crowded) but I didn't feel pampered and cared for like you should at a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
I was so sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet with your expectations and I have to say the service you have explained is certainly not representative of the standards we strive to achieve here.
I will certainly be following up your points with my Executive team.
I do hope you will give us another opportunity as I would be delighted to welcome you back again.
In the meantime, I send my best wishes.
Flitwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was our third visit to the May Fair Hotel and we continue to be hugely impressed. On this occasion it was to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Admittedly, there was a problem with our initial room allocation, but this was resolved very quickly and efficiently. We were kindly upgraded to a duplex suite. The suite was absolutely exceptional, with outstanding furnishings, inspiring art work, and made for a highly comfortable and relaxing nights stay. Even some wally using their speaker phone ordering room service in the adjoining room at 4.00am in the morning didn't change our views. The turn down service was somewhat of a surprise, which included the replenishment of all complimentary beverages, and a general tidy up of the room.

A very special thank you to Zana from Housekeeping for her outstanding customer service throughout our stay. Please make sure she hears of our comments!

The hotel and its fantastic staff always manage to meet with our expectations in every single way and we look forward to returning later this year. Thank to the May Fair!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind review.
I was so pleased to read your comments and thank you for such wonderful compliments.
Please do be assured I will certainly pass on your compliments to Zana. I am so pleased she provided such a wonderful service to you!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Anthony Lee

Been to The May Fair Hotel? Share your experiences!