“Room without a view!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The May Fair Hotel

Save Saved
You added The May Fair Hotel to your Saves list
The May Fair Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stratton Street, London W1J 8LT, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 20%
Ranked #255 of 1,075 hotels in London
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Room without a view!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The position of this hotel is great - right on Piccadilly so just a walk to the shops, Hyde Park, Apsley House etc. We were a little stunned at the dark bedroom we were in. The window looked out onto a roof structure for a smoking room and let in very little light. The room itself was nicely fitted out and the bed was extremely comfortable. We were staying here for a dinner dance and the food and service were excellent although the bar area lacked soul.
There was a good choice of different foods for breakfast and you could order more from the waiting staff - the banana and chocolate pancakes were well worth getting fat for. We stayed for 2 nights B&B and the service at breakfast was a bit hit and miss - one day terrible (Sunday) and the next good (Monday).
You need to use your room card in the lift as pressing the buttons alone wont get you anywhere. Our card failed to let us in the room twice and the reception staff (who were usually helpful) blamed keeping it close to a mobile phone. I accepted this the first time but the second time I hadn't taken my mobile out with me so?? Not sure I would return here.

Room Tip: Don't have a room at the far end of the corridor from the lifts overlooking the back of the hote...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to read your positive comments and I would like to thank you for making reference to these. I was sorry to learn about the room you were allocated and you were unhappy with the view. I have also taken note of your feedback on the breakfast and this is something I will be following up with my Director of Food and Beverage. Your feedback also about your room card is also interesting to read and again I will be following up with my Front of House Manager.
May I take this opportunity of offering you my personal apologies for problems you encountered and do hope you will reconsider and return to stay with us. If you do return, please make my office aware, so that I can personally oversee your reservation and room allocation.
In the meantime, I send my best wishes.

2,065 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Turkish first
Stourbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Was here for a family celebration in London. Despite arriving at 09:30 we couldn't check in until we'll after 17:00. This originally wasn't an issue, as we all had things to do, but when you return at 16:30 and are kept waiting for an additional 45 mintes then I have an issue. The customer service by reception was poor.
The rooms itself were NEC, large but at the pice you pay you'd think so. The view we ad wasn't great.
Very close to green park tube station. Nice hotel, poor service levels. No chance of a return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was concerned to hear about your room not being ready for your arrival and then having to wait a considerable amount of time after this. The Hotel is extremely heavily committed at the moment which means the turnaround on rooms is not always a quick process and I am just so sorry you were kept waiting on a special occasion.
I have taken onboard your feedback about the service in Front of House and this is something I will be following up on.
I would like to offer you my personal apologies for a disappointing stay with us and I do hope you will change your mind and return to The May Fair as I would really like you to experience the Hotel as one should. If you do return, please do let my office know as I would like to have the opportunity of meeting with you personally.
With kind regards,
Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I went to the Mayfair for afternoon tea at the weekend and can see it hasn't improved!

They had sold out of a number of teas and we were stuck with the breakfast blend made with teabags. Horrible, bland tea which we had to ask to be topped up and serve ourselves. Sugar was in sachets - the kind that you get in a coffee chain.
The food was delivered all at once, with boring sandwiches. The cheese was plastic, like what you get in a hamburger and chicken slices like Tesco basics. We had to ask for more (three times as no one seemed to pass on the requests).
Scones were delicious but cold as served with the sandwiches. Cakes were very average.

Overall a very disappointing experience and far below what I have tried elsewhere. Not worth the money. Afternoon tea at £29 is a treat.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was extremely concerned to hear about your Afternoon Tea. This is certainly not representative of the standards we strive to achieve here at The May Fair and indeed in Quince.
If you have the time, I would appreciate you speaking with my Food and Beverage Director, Pierre Silva, and would ask that you make contact with him directly.
Thank for making us aware of your feedback.
With my best wishes,
Salcombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The May Fair manages to appear as a much smaller hotel than it may be. The staff are very attentive and offer an old school style of 5 star service but without all the out dated pomp and pretensions that was once the way of such hotels. This is 5 star for today. Check out the Cigar Bar for an intimate venue to enjoy a great Martini, Cigars are not compulsory but you will love the inside out hidden haven of this chilled venue. The style is subdued glamour and all with great comfort at its core. I slept like a log, enjoyed a great shower, great breakfast and loved our stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review.
I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our new addition, the Cigar Room. Your comments are a pleasure to read.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.
With my best wishes,
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just back from a few nights at the May Fair. We absolutely loved it. Our room was large and luxurious and very comfortable. The bathroom was very modern with an excellent power shower and nice toiletries. Breakfast is a real treat - a full spread of pastries, cheeses, hams, fruit, in fact everything you can imagine, plus a full English if you want it. The hotel is in an amazing location, absolutely central to all the attractions. Buckingham Palace is a five minute walk away through Green Park, while Harrods, Piccidily Circus, Big Ben, the London Eye, Leicester Square and Covent Garden can all be reached on foot too. I would thoroughly recommend it. We really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much and thank you for your wonderful comments.
We do hope to welcome you back soon and in the meantime, I send you my best wishes.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I booked this hotel using points as I frequently spend time in the Radisson chain of hotels. My wife and I were having a night away from our daughter and were looking for a bit of luxury and a late breakfast. The hotel looked amazing on the website and the feedback was generally positive (the negatives tend to centre around noise/party clientele). I booked a deluxe room and my first experience of the hotel was very positive as I dropped my bag off early in the morning on my way to the Olympics.

When I returned on the afternoon it was more chaotic. The first room they put us in was very nice (although nothing like the pictures on the website) but it was opposite the lift. I asked to change and was put in a room half the size and was far from deluxe, in fact it wasn't even superior. I complained and was moved to another room of the same standard. I complained again but the only room left was the one opposite the lift - room 532. To be fair the room was good but...

That night at 4am mad women were outside our door waffling on about after parties and craig david. In all the nights I've spent in hotels the clock alarm has never gone off... 6am in the morning I'm stumbling around a strange room trying to turn the damn thing off... there goes our late breakfast.

Breakfast is in the Quince restaurant which is beautiful although for me a little dark. Service was very amateurish and a high percentage of the clientele (European party animals) were still buzzing from the night before.

The May Fair is probably the type of hotel I would have loved when I was single and childless - cool surroundings, up for it party crowd, great location. But the service was a let down.

The rack rate is astronomical so unless you are using points shop around as you can get much better hotels in London for the price. If you are looking for an amazing hotel in this area then you can't beat Claridge's. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you have booked a deluxe room ask for 532 as its twice the size and well furnished. The downside...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your review which I was extremely disappointed to read.
I was so sorry to hear of the difficulties you had on your arrival and were subsequently not happy with the rooms you were first shown. I was pleased that you liked the last room you were allocated.
It is extremely concerning to learn that you were unable to get a good night's sleep due to other residents outside your room and for this I would like to offer you my personal apologies.
I have taken note of your feedback regarding our restaurant and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning to The May Fair on a future occasion as I would welcome the opportunity to have you and your wife stay with us again and perhaps have the pleasure of meeting with you.
Until then, I send you my best wishes.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed in the The May Fair for a week in October 2012 when in London on business. Overall, a good experience (albeit with a few minor letdowns).

Pros: large room, comfortable bed, quality bathroom with powerful shower, nice shower products, gym small but very generously equipped (Kinesis, Technogym, vibration platforms... all very up to date), spa also very good. Rooms nicely fitted out (including plenty of storage space, quality iron and ironing board, trouser press, and real coat hangers). Sainsbury's directly across the road provided a more choice and value than minibar.

Cons: room service food a little bit fussy and stylistically overdone for my tastes, no desk (small table right height for dinner but chairs soft and low so using laptop on it wasn't very comfortable), lifts could be slow (but only seven floors so could mostly use stairs), occasional minor service lapses (ie no room service menu in room, remote control initially broken).

Room Tip: Only rooms fronting onto Stratton St have any sort of view (other than of adjacent buildings).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and thank you for your kind compliments. I have taken note of your feedback which I always take constructively and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Best wishes,
Anthony Lee

Been to The May Fair Hotel? Share your experiences!