“Wonderful afternoon tea experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Savoy

You added The Savoy to your Saves list
The Savoy
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Strand, London WC2R 0EU, England (Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% OFF SEASONAL SAVER
Ranked #47 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Manchester
“Wonderful afternoon tea experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I could not disagree more with the two most recent reviews of afternoon tea at the Savoy. I went on 17th August with two friends, we found the whole experience absolutely wonderful. The welcome and the service was absolutely fantastic. Our waiter explained thoroughly what we could expect and spent some time discussing our choice of tea with us. A second plate of sandwiches was brought before we had even finished the first, and we were offered a second helping of scones. We declined this (knowing that there were cakes & pastries to come!) but more cream and preserves were brought immediately we requested them. As it turned out, we just did not have enough room to finish all the courses and were given the remaining cakes to take away in a lovely black box.
One of my friends was celebrating her 60th birthday, and the other is on a gluten-free diet, and every member of staff who attended to us in the Thames Foyer was aware of this. A little cake was brought out for the birthday girl, to the piano accompaniment of Happy Birthday, My gluten-free friend was delighted to find such an array of tasty treats available for her.
We travelled from Manchester and back in a day for the Savoy experience and it was well worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kiaran_MacDonald, General Manager at The Savoy, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to The Savoy. It is always lovely when guests share their experiences with us. Afternoon tea can be quite filling but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the remaining cakes at home. I will of course share your kind words with the rest of the team and I sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another celebratory occasion and creating some more wonderful memories.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
South Pole
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Even though our room was probably the smallest in this magnificent hotel, we were very happy and felt truly pampered and luxurious. We had a great view of the Thames, and the room itself was just perfect. The bed is certainly one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
Staff in general is friendly and correct, but I would like to mention the guys at the door especially. They are so very friendly and attentive!
Minor points: the hotel charges extra for Wi-Fi, which I think is the same as asking whether you would like to have electricity in your room (at an extra charge). I really feel that in 2013 Wi-Fi should be standard and included in the price of the room, especially in a place like the Savoy.
Another small criticism: the bathroom was not as clean as my own bathroom at home, which I think it should be.
For the rest we had a great time at the Savoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, and a river view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Upon arrival at the Savoy, we were pleasantly greeted by the door man and receptionist gave us a brief tour of the hotel/restaurants and showed us to our room. We had booked a deluxe room for 3 nights over my birthday weekend and was upgraded to a jr suite overlooking the park by the River Thames. The room was large by London standards – there was a small foyer and a huge bathroom with a nice claw foot bathtub and separate shower. You can tell they put a lot of thought into all the details during the renovations.

I was initially a bit worried of the hotel being snobby – however, this was totally unfounded as we were treated very nicely throughout our stay (and emails prior to our stay to confirm details).

We also booked a chocolate making masterclass – it was a lot of fun! It was 2 hours long with lots of chocolate sampling. You get to take home what you make along with the apron. It also includes a 3 course lunch. We would totally recommend looking into the masterclass offerings as it is such a wonderful experience creating a fond memory for us of the Savoy.

Room Tip: If you can afford it or if you can somehow get an upgrade, get a room facing the River and the small...
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Savoy is legendary. I had heard about it since I was young, so I was obviously looking forward to experiencing it for myself.

The Good: The service was excellent. Even before we walked through the doors, we were greeted by someone who handled the check-in, gave us a tour of the hotel, and escorted us to our room. Aside from the size of the room, the decor was very rich with ivory and gold trimming running along the walls and the bed. We ate at the seafood restaurant in the hotel and it was good (the service was good as well), but it was nothing to write home about. The spa facilities are also beautiful. Take advantage if you have the time. The location is perfect as it is in walking distance to many restaurants, attractions, theatres, and tube stops.

The Decent: The room itself was not large. I mean, this is London, so I know rooms are generally small, but I guess I just expected The Savoy to be different than other hotels in London. I was also disappointed that there was no place to sit and gaze at the view along the Thames. The hotel overlooks the water, so I would think they'd like to highlight that.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience of staying at the hotel, and I would recommend it to others. I would just warn them to have more realistic expectations than I did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Guernsey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at the Savoy last week for one night with my two children on the way home from Greece. I won't write chapters on the subject - it's all been said - suffice to say that the hotel's reputation is well earned. To be honest I dithered about spending so much money on one night's accommodation, but I am glad I did it. It was an experience to remember for all of us and the children will be talking about it for years to come. Everything about the place is stunning and every guest, now matter how small or humble, is made to feel like royalty. As you would expect, this hotel is really a cut above.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kiaran_MacDonald, Managing Director at The Savoy, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind words following your recent stay at The Savoy. I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to share The Savoy experience with your family and that we were able to create some wonderful memories for them. Providing the highest standards of service is something we all take great pride in here at The Savoy and we endeavour to make every guest feel truly special. I look forward to sharing your review with team and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

What a joy to experience such excellence. From the moment you arrive to the time of departure you are treated to such service and splendour that words are difficult to find to describe everything! The staff are excellent and just because you are not famous means nothing. You are treated so well, friendly and helpfull without being condescending.
I cannot praise them enough. I look forward to my next "special" birthday and hope to be entertained as well as this. Superb, stylish, friendly,professional.

Room Tip: Get someone else to pay!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review following your stay at The Savoy. It is always lovely when a guest takes the time to mention the level of service which they received, I look forward to sharing your kind words with the rest of the team here. I sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another celebratory stay and creating some more wonderful memories.

JAKARTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Savoy is one of the old iconic classical hotels in London with a long history along with the likes of Ritz, Claridges, the Lanesborough etc. It was closed in 2007 for a full refurbishment and reopened in 2011. The result is stunning. The hotel was restored to it’s former glory and the rooms are now equipped with all the modern amenities and conveniences.

My Europe holiday trip as usual has the most time allocated to my favorite city in the world, London and I actually booked this hotel for 6 nights, with an in between one day trip to Paris. It is not usual for me to stay so many nights at one hotel so there is a bit of risk that this hotel might not measure up. Feedback from season travelers in travel forums have critiqued the hotel as anywhere from being impersonalized ( it’s a big hotel after all ) to being unnecessarily stringent over dress codes. Well, my concerns turn out to be totally unfounded.

Arrival

I booked a hotel limo from the airport to the hotel, a Mercedes Benz S-Class as I have a lot of luggage. The driver picked me up at the exit gate and also help with luggage. The journey was longer than usual as it was London’s peak hour traffic. Upon arrival, I was greeted warmly and checked in to my room. The lobby gave me a very good impression. It’s beautifully appointed and grand, yet feels cozy at the same time. There are lots of painting and artwork adorning the walls and common areas.

My accommodation

As a large hotel, the Savoy have many categories of rooms, depending on size, view, amenities and service levels. I booked a junior suite and was upgraded on booking courtesy of my well-connected travel agent to a One Bedroom suite. On arrival, the hotel did one step better and upgraded me further to an even larger River View Suite. Upon arrival at my room, I was greeted by a very well dressed English gentleman who introduced himself as the head butler.

I have been traveling and staying at luxury hotels and resorts in Asia and Europe for 10 years now, both for business and leisure. It takes a lot and a lot for a hotel room or suite to impress me. However, this suite room does it. On entering the suite after the entrance foyer, one first noticed the impressive view of the Thames River with the London Eye flying wheel. The suite is what the hotel called the “Art Deco” design versus another style that is the “Edwardian design”.

The suite is neatly divided into a large living room and a bedroom in about equal area. The living room is gorgeously appointed, with a separate work desk and a small library ( yes they put real books there! ), large sofa and chairs. The stationaries were personalized with my name and the in-room dinning menu and a booklet about the history of the hotel were nearly stacked in the writing desk. The bedroom has a large king size bed, decked out with 4 comfy pillows and some of the most luxurious bed linens I have the pleasure of sleeping in my travels. Everything in this suite is beautifully adorned or decorated and tastefully done, with great attention to detail.

There is a walk in closet which also house the safe, and the bathroom is a full ensuite with the famous savoy shower-head. Bath towels and bathrobes are fluffy and extremely comfortable. They even have a heated towel rack. The tub is huge and easily fit two persons. The supplied toiletries are quite nice though I find their packaging to be unusual, more like medicine bottles than bath products. Water pressure is great and the shower settings are easy to figure out with clearly labeled functions.

The in-suite technology is also quite good. The hotel spared no expense and equipped the suite with a very stylish Loewe TV, blu-ray players and Meridian iPod dock sound system. Also included are Nepresso coffee machine and a large selection of teas. Internet access is free for President Club’s members ( a free sign up ) and is very fast. As I booked the suite, all calls were directed to my Butler who attended to my request. More on that later.

I stayed in this suite for three days and after my one day trip to Paris ( a disastrous stay at a supposedly top hotel ), I was very glad to come back to the Savoy and was very surprised and happy to be upgraded to a River View Suite again. This time it was at the Edwardian wing and the color scheme is more beige and warm creamy yellow. Besides the difference in color scheme, everything else is the same as the first suite and also comes with Butler service.

Common Areas and Restaurants

The feeling of staying in this hotel is generally that of a staying as a guest at a Palace or a very high end mansion or castle of a English nobleman. One is surrounded by beauty. There are many times I will just stop to admire a painting or an artwork while on my way out or on my way to my room. The hotel has two wings of rooms, an Art Deco wing and a Edwardian wing and there are a total of 3 restaurants, two bars and one lounge. Besides the Simpsons and the Beaufort, I have tried all of them. Here’s the run down

- Kasper

I had my first night dinner at Kasper on arrival and the food is fabulous. I love their lobster and various seafood and fish dishes. This restaurant has a more modern contemporary look compared to the rest of the hotel. The prices I find to be very reasonable as well. Unlike some hotel restaurants that tend to over-charge, prices are very reasonable and on-par with outside restaurants. Breakfast served at this restaurant was also great. Be aware that all the food portions are huge. I have to actually ask my waiter to down-size the portions for me in order not to waste food.

- The Thames Lounge

This is a laid back and relaxing lounge of the Savoy full of comfortable sofas and seating area. I had a breakfast and an evening snack here and food quality is great too though I think the evening snacks seem to be prepared in advance and not that fresh. However, for a quick meal and a place to relax, this is the place as it is exceptionally well appointed, quite possibly the nicest place in the hotel. One can enjoy lazing around the comfortable lounge chairs to read a book or browse the internet while having a leisurely breakfast. The lounge is packed full house everyday in the afternoon for afternoon tea, which I think must be very popular with Londoners.

- The Savoy Grill by Gordan Ramsey

I once had a disastrous dinner at the Gordan Ramsey restaurant at the Claridges which cost me more than 200 pounds for extremely medicore food. So upon chancing this restaurant name again, I was unwilling to try. Nevertheless, I changed my mind and decided to “pop in” without reservation just to sample one or two dish. Besides, the prices don’t seems too overtly expensive for a restaurant by a celebrity chef. The restaurant as expected was nearly full. Nevertheless, upon learning that I am a hotel guest, the restaurant somehow managed to conjure up a table for me.

The seating in this restaurant is a bit on the cramp side with tables closed to each other. I ordered a three course ala carte meal; A foie gras patty starter which I find just ordinary, a lamb cutlet which was quite tasty and succulent and the best one comes at the last, a sumptuous apple pie desert with vanilla ice cream.

- The American Bar

Saving the best for the last, I visited the American Bar at the last night of my stay. Going into the Bar is like traveling back in time. The atmosphere was relaxing yet there was a certain buzz in the air. The music was great, with live performance and there were many creative cocktails to sample, recommended to me by a very friendly bar hostess. I got to learn about the background and creation of each cocktail and most of them were favorites of distinguished celebrities such as Charlie Chaplin and Coco Chanel.

The hotel also has a cake shop which sell tea and pastries. There is a well-equipped gym and swimming pool as well along with numerous conference rooms and function halls. It’s a large hotel. The hotel does have a recommended dress code which is smart casual, but as long as one is not running around in undergarments and flip-flops, I don’t think it is very stringently enforced.

The Location

The hotel is located in the Strand of West Minster district. It is a short walk from the London tube station ( Charing Cross ). The famous Trafalgar square and other historic sites such as parliament building are also within walking distance. The location is great if one likes to stay close to the river and historic tourist sites, but no so ideal for high end shopping which is located at the Knightsbridge and Bond street as it is several stops including a change of line. However, this is London and going everywhere is quite easy, just allow a bit more time.

The Service

As every hotel connoisseur knows, a luxury hotel eventually rise and falls depending on the service and in this aspect, the Savoy rises magnificently. As I was upgraded to suites in both my stay, they come with Butler service. Now the butlers in Savoy are not like the butlers in many other hotels which are glorified but often clueless housekeeping staff. These butlers actually make a real difference. The butlers took care of all request and ensure it is attended to timely, ensure things like laundry and in-room dinning are delivered on time, housekeeping is done correct and they can also provide concierge service. It was the first time I ever asked the Butler to handle packing my luggage which was a lot since I was in a shopping spree throughout Europe and it was amazing how they neatly fold everything and put everything in order and did so at record speed. Need to mention also the Butlers at the Art Deco wing are the best in both finesse and efficiency, including remembering all requests and preferences and are exceptionally friendly. The butlers at the Edwardian wing are somewhat less so but still very good. Without exception, they are all polite, friendly and exceptionally well trained.

Service at the other aspects especially in the restaurants were all good, including the waiters and captains of all the restaurants I patronized. I have particularly fond memory of the beautiful bar hostess Ms Gosha, who took time to chat with me and also recommended and prepare several excellent cocktails.

Likewise, concierge staff were very efficient in answering questions and attend to requests like restaurant bookings and this is done even prior check-in. Upon check-out during my first stay, I was a bit concerned I will be allocated a small room but the reception staff who checked me out, Mr Julian assure me that the hotel will do their best to allocate at least a junior suite. So imagine my surprise when I re-checked in to the Savoy and got a Riverview Suite!

In general, everyone is very cheerful and friendly. Staff often greet you good morning or afternoon or by name if they have previously interacted with you. Upon departure, the hotel also “upgraded” my car from a Mercedes to a Savoy customized Range Rover which is very comfortable ride. So all in all my stay is just perfect.

Conclusion

The Savoy is an exceptionally well run hotel. It offers first class accommodation, excellent F&B and attentive and world class service. Just to be impartial, do take note however that I was staying at suites and comes with Butler service which makes a lot of difference so one need to take this review from this perspective. If one books just a basic room, I can’t say it is the same experience as I mentioned but I am quite sure it will be more than good for most. If the hotel can please such a fussy and well-traveled guest like me, then I am quite sure the vast majority will be very pleased with their stay. In my opinion, the Savoy surpasses my previous favorite hotel in London, the Four Seasons Park Lane and is yet another good reason why I will return to London again. The Savoy joined my very short list of first class hotels that scores a perfect 5/5 !!!!

Room Tip: Request higher floors for better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Savoy? Share your experiences!