“A Wonderful Treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Savoy

Save Saved
You added The Savoy to your Saves list
The Savoy
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Strand, London WC2R 0EU, England (Charing Cross / Trafalgar Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
125th Anniversary Offer
Ranked #37 of 1,071 hotels in London
Chew Magna, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our first visit since the multi million pound refurb. We were very impressed by the quality of the interiors. Our Art Deco suite was beautiful, spacious and elegant. The bathroom was amazing with beautiful Art Deco fittings and a huge claw foot bath. I recommend you book a package that offers an upgrade if available. Our upgrade included Butler service, and although our butler politely introduced himself to us we couldn't think of anything for him to do and didn't see him again. We were unable to have afternoon tea in the foyer as we hadn't booked in advance but we enjoyed the tea in our room. The tea is enormous, you won't need one each. After the Theatre we went to the American bar for drinks. It was pretty busy and we had to wait a while for a table, but the atmosphere was great with a piano playing crooner adding to the ambience. There was a little rush of excitement when a well known singer arrived from the nearby Savoy theatre for post performance refreshment. The lighting in the bar was so low it was almost impossible to read the drinks menu. And crikey, the drinks are expensive! Our breakfast was served beautifully in our room and felt very luxurious and decadent. I highly recommend an overnight at the Savoy, soaking up all of the luxury and ambience of the place. It's a real little treat when time is short and life is busy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

1,805 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
LONDON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had a reasonable experience staying for a couple of nights in between Christmas 2012 and New Year. Stayed in room 558 which is a one bedroom suite.

Good points:
1) The room size - But then you are paying for it..
2) Luxury finish to the entire building.
3) Swimming pool.

Could do better:
1) Sofa very hard and uncomfortable in living room.
2) TV up very high on the wall in living room
3) Butler service bit of a gimmick *
4) Not overly child friendly. Not allowed in bar areas.
5) Breakfast not included in room rate. Its an extra £30pp per day
6) Tiny "half" bath. Even in a larger suite.
7) Logistically difficult to get to from tube station with luggage. You will need a cab.
8) Swimming pool 1.2m in all directions so not for young kids.
9) Kids beds just basic camp beds. And crammed into the room. No thought design wise to room layouts when roll out beds are in there. Just jammed in.

Overall it was a pleasant (but not a WOW) experience. Probably if you come as a couple its great but with a 3yr old its not really suitable.

* Butler service: You are informed on the website that you get your own "Personal Butler" but its not really true because its actually lots of different people (we had three) A guy called Francies, then a lady in the morning then a younger guy the next evening. They bring you coffee and I paid £30 to have a shirt ironed but other than that they dont "do" anything really. I unpacked my own case. Packed it myself. Cleaned my own shoes. So I do not think they added anything to the experience. When I did call butler to book a restaurant I was told to call concierge. I am sure if you are spending big cash they are useful. Maybe they were being discrete. And I am thinking I haven't seen them!

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 558 and if you are a couple then this is perfect. Dont go with young children it...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Went for dinner to the River Restaurant after seeing Caberet at the Savoy Theatre .We felt as if we had been transported back in time to a Hollywood film set ! Pure Magic with excellent food and service

• Stayed December 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

A magnificent stay. This trip was arranged for my wife partly as a 30th birthday present and partly to try and give a nice end to the year as she unexpectedly lost her father in June.

It has certainly been a memorable trip. From the personal and thoughtful welcome by the staff and lady on reception to the ongoing care and patience demonstrates by the concierge staff, the Saviy truly demonstrates why it is one of the best hotels in the world-it is certainly the best we have stayed in.

The room was magnificent and I simply cannot thank the hotel enough for the upgrade. I am personally deeply grateful: it is so nice to see my wife happy.

I must single out the butlers Ben and Charlotte who were both wonderful. While it is very surreal to me even having a butler, their dedication, professionalism and thoughtfulness were a testament to the hotel. I regret that I wasn't financially able to give tips!!

We are passing through London tomorrow night on our way home from Paris. I wish only I could afford to return for one more night but I look forward to one day returning ( if my bank account allows!)

A wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: If finances allow, a river view is simply fabulous.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheSavoy, Hotel Management at The Savoy, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
It is great to hear that your stay went so well and some lovely memories were created. For a guest to take the time to mention members of staff individually for their kind assistance is very special, so thank you. We all look forward to warmly welcoming you both again, one day, to The Savoy.
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Gorgeous, expensive but we treated ourselves for my boyfriend and mothers birthday. The staff and customer service is impeccable. Beautifully decorated to original decor. One complaint is that we were given and very antique old rubber mat for the bath which had definitely seen better days. The Savoy Grill food is wonderful and the American bar and late night bar were so relaxing and elegant.

Room Tip: ask for a view.
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I just checked out of The Savoy; we stayed at the property the past four days over the Christmas holidays. The hotel is very nice with interesting architecture and well-appointed interiors. This is true of both the common areas as well as the guest rooms. Our room was a deluxe room with two double beds (we were not upgraded as many who have published reviews were, but we did arrive about two hours before check-in, so I certainly wasn't expecting that even though I'm a President's member). The staff are all very friendly as well. Upon check-in, the staff member was able to find us a room without much wait even though we were early. However, we had to wait about 50 minutes between the time we were given a room and when our bags arrived. This was annoying and unfortunately a sign of service issues to come. I hate to try to come up with excuses for this property, but it seems as if during the holidays, they were likely operating with a smaller staff who weren't as well-trained as one would expect. Regardless, there are a lot of great things about the property - The American Bar is quite nice and the staff are lovely. Additionally, we enjoyed the Christmas Day tea service very much - the staff again were wonderful. Also, the tea and scones were very enjoyable. The finger sandwiches and other desserts were not as tasty, but fine nonetheless. Finally, the beds were quite comfortable.

Unfortunately, the negatives we experienced cause me to rate the property a three. To begin with, we selected this property primarily because of the pool area; in London during the holidays, very little outside of the shops are open on December 24 and 26, and nothing is open on December 25. Having access to the spa, pool, and fitness area on those days was therefore a deciding factor in our choice for a hotel. The pool was open as scheduled on the 24th. However, on the 25th, the pool didn't open until well after 4 pm. The pool was supposed to open at 8 am. I arrived a little after 8 to be told there was an accident and the pool would be closed for about 30 minutes. Thirty minutes became a few hours, which became a few more hours, which became a few more hours. I don't know what the accident was, and I certainly don't blame the hotel for the accident, but I do blame them for not being able to deal with it in a timely manner. On the 26th, I again went down to the pool when it was supposed to open at 8 am, and it was locked. I called reception, and they told me the tube strike caused some of their workers issues in getting to the property that day. They said they would try to find someone to open the fitness area for me and would call to let me know what that was accomplished. No call ever came.

For those like me who are looking for a pool/spa property, I would say that the fixtures are very nice and high-end. However, both the pool and spa areas (including the steam room and sauna) are quite small. If there are more than two or three adults, the pool would be quite crowded; with children splashing about it would be worse. I simply mention this to those who focus on this property for the use of these facilities.

Another reason I think we had the F staff team is that housekeeping kept disturbing us. As mentioned above, we spent most of the 25th at the unopened pool reading. When we went back to our room at 3pm to get ready for tea, our room hadn't been serviced. The maid knocked shortly thereafter, and I informed her that we would be leaving for tea by about 4:15. Every 20 minutes, she seemed to knock again. After the third time, I told her we won't be leaving our room until 4:15 and chained the door so we wouldn't have to deal with the interruptions! Finally, we also had the seemingly obligatory phantom mini-bar charges.

I don't know; I really wanted to like this hotel because it's quite beautiful and elements are very nice. I just think that possibly because of the holidays either staff were brought in to fill the gaps or we got the F team. Regardless, we won't be back because I don't think it's acceptable for service levels to be so inconsistent of a property that is this expensive.

PS - one other important point for the ladies - the water is super soft, even in the shower.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, We appreciate your kind comments, although we are very sorry to read about the disappointing aspects of your stay. We sincerely apologise for the frustrations caused as a result of the delay that occurred with your luggage delivery on arrival and for the intrusions by the Housekeeping team. Both departments have since been reminded of our standards and the importance of consistent service, and to highlight how their actions affected your overall enjoyment. The situation that arose regarding the pool was unfortunate and we are sorry that you were not able to use the facilities as you had hoped. The closure was due to an accident that required the pool to be emptied for health and safety reasons and this process took longer than we had anticipated. We hope that you will reconsider your decision so that we can create some happier memories of your time with us.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 6am in late November and were pleased to find our room ready for us.

This hotel is somenthing very special and the staff is terrific, they can remember everyone's name and always go the extra mile.

We wanted to have afternoon tea, but when I went to ask for a table we were told that there is a two (2) months waiting list for it, but as soon as I mentioned that we were hotel guest, within 20 minutes we were sitting at a lovely table.
We mentioned that we were in the UK for our daughter's University graduation, and that night when we returned to our rooms, there a cake congratulating her.
Definitely a true 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room facing the front of the hotel, rooms at the back,overlook the pub next st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Savoy? Share your experiences!