“Still the only Address in Town” 5 of 5 stars

Claridge's
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Brook Street, London W1K 4HR, England   |
Ranked #96 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Inverness Scotland
“Still the only Address in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Since I last reviewed this wonderful Hotel last year we have stayed 3 times including once again over Xmas.

On each of our stays the service, warmth of welcome from the long serving superb staff and indeed the newer ones, and the overall comfort and standard of Claridge's was as ever without equal.

We come to London about 4 times each year and always stay here. There are lots of other similar Hotels in London. Some people book a different one each time.

There is however only one Claridge's and choosing to stay there will be an excellent decision and cause no regrets.

We are back in May and are as always looking forward to our stay.

Room Tip: Just book your choice as they are superb
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear “GCGM-Inverness”,

May I please thank you for your loyalty and support over the years.

We look forward to seeing you in May and perhaps you would like to reach out to me before your stay.

In the meantime, I wish you safe travels,

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having made a reservation over the telephone, the lady who took the reservation could not have been more polite and efficient I was delighted. I was so excited about our treat visit to Claridges and was convinced that it was going to be every bit as polished service one would expect For nearly £400 a night.
We decided to book Gordon Ramsay's restaurant for the Friday night too.
I realised I might be able to contact reservations to see if they offered and dinner , bed and breakfast rate. My email reply suggested they don't do bed and breakfast rates, so i again replied via email that they had not read my request properly as I was requesting a d,b&b rate. An email later followed, to advise they did not do a dinner bed and breakfast rate... So I got my answer eventually.

25th January 2013
Upon arrival we were greeted by fully surrounded scaffolding and a side door entrance whereby the door man totally ignored us and failed to open the taxi door to us, watched us pull our suitcases out by ourselves. Pushed past us through the revolving doors and raced past us to attend to two men in an Aston Martin.

On arrival to reception the receptionist could not find our reservation so we had to wait until she had eventually either found it.. Or magicked up a room to save face.
We declined a paper but agreed to a turndown at the latest possible time of 9.30pm

She showed us to our room 605, a small double room for 2 girls on a shopping trip. ( good job we are great friends) ! Whereby we had to wait 20 mins for our luggage. We had checked in at noon but the room wasn't yet ready so off we went shopping, I would have assumed this would have already been in the room rather than us have to wait as we didn't arrive our room until late afternoon.

The room itself was very basic, very dull in decor, not even remotely any character to it. The bathroom smelled of cigar smoke coming from another bedroom, the tap and shower didn't work properly and the tiling seemed to be very ill looked after.

We had had a fairly busy week so we decided to chill and sleep before dinner booked at 10pm

At 7pm the door knocked with the turndown service which we had booked at 9.30, whereby the maid rolled her eyes and huffed when we explained we were not ready. At 8.30pm she came again, as we were still getting ready for dinner we declined again to which she once again huffed and turned on her feet.
She came back 10 mins later with 3 bottles of water whereby in the end we just told her to forget about it, we'd do without.

I ordered tea and a diet coke which it later transpired after I'd asked the waiter if gratuities were included my bill did indeed include a tip, but he was more than happy to take cash anyway!

We got ready and headed to the bar of which is indeed much nicer than the savoy, much less hectic and you can actually get a drink in under 40 minuets here. The staff were friendly and everything seemed to be relaxed and under control. The mojitos we ordered were very nice.

We headed to Gordon Ramseys a few moments before 10 pm and waited to be seated.
The food was delightful only there where several communication problems with staff as the spoken English was difficult to understand, our waiter was polite, but hard to understand when he explained the pre starters etc...
The food was delightful and we didn't have to wait too long for anything, but I'm not sure the service is worth the £200 bill !

Breakfast served in the foyer was a contrast the service was excellent but the food was awful. We ordered full English. The bacon was very greasy , the poached egg yolks had no flavour at all and the sausage had a funny smell and taste so I sent it back and was immediately offered something else. It turns out there was nothing wrong with the sausages, that is the type of sausage it meant to smell and taste like.( I have never refused a sausage, so it must have been bad)
I ordered the pancakes which was fine, but the maple syrup was tasteless too.
The tea was nice though!

We didn't check out as there were too many people at the counter so we decided to go shopping instead. Later that afternoon we checked out and asked for our bags, we were pointed to the ballroom exit to get a taxi and our bags would be sent down. We waited and waited and waited. In the end we had to go back and ask.

I am really disappointed with claridges, I had assumed the service would be polished, polite, down to earth and friendly. When in fact it was arrogant, unfriendly, unhelpful and over priced.

I really don't mind paying top end if I'm getting excellent service, but this was way below expectation. I can fault almost every department during my claridges experience and wouldn't book again .

• Stayed January 2013
Dear “Howhardcanitbe1”,

As you know, from our correspondence prior to this review, I am truly sorry that your experience at Claridge’s was not what you wanted it to be. Your acceptance of my offer of resolution makes me think that you found it acceptable. I, therefore, do not feel there is any need to go into any more detail in this forum.

With best regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Claridge's is stupendous. Quiet, elegant, everyone in staff very gracious and cheerful. Breakfast excellent. The decor is beautiful: door handles, bath/sink fixtures from 80+ years ago, wonderful and unique, like stepping back in time. It could not have been a better experience. I look forward to my return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear “deebeemoo2”,

We look forward to seeing you again and with many thanks for the great review.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

To my girlfriend for a birthday surprise and stayed in a Luxury King room which is their highest standard room without checking in to a suite.
After letting them know our arrival time we were told that the room was not ready and that we would have to wait. We made for the bar and has our drinks which after we were told were complimentary which was a nice touch. Also we were able to move our afternoon tea reservation back.
The room was spacious and we were left a complimentary birthday cake which was a really nine touch. Had an exceptional tea and good nights sleep. Also a special mention to the fantastic shower and bath. I love a large rainfall shower with an additional sholder shower.
This all being said there were a a few small disappointments. We were not provided slippers, there was a large coat of dust present on most surfaces even after the turndown service. Some of the furniture were showing their age and the plugs for the lamps were almost black with dirt from over the years (I assume). The air conditioning unit, although noisy had no affect at all and the tv radio located in the bathroom was broken.
Breakfast was good but the forgotten items and to be brought to the room promptly after the first attempt.
All in all an excellent stay the high points being exceptional service which was perfect they really do look after you in the most polite, kind and professional way which is a difficult balance to get right. Unfortunately with such a price tag you do not expect dirt in the room and for the units to be working, which unfortunately tainted our stay.
Would I return? I am not sure there are many high end hotels and Claridges just fell short of standing out as the best.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear “Foodbuff81”,

I am glad to read that all in all you had an excellent stay and your particular praise about the service is gratefully received.

I have taken careful note of some of the details of your stay and reassure you that they will be addressed.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beautiful surroundings and most members of staff were utterly charming and attentive when I attended my organisation's annual dinner here. However, I felt let down by the service during the meal. I don't eat beef and this message had not been conveyed to Claridges prior to the meal (which, of course, was not their fault). My disappointment relates to the fact that when I told the Head waiter that I couldn't eat the main meal (which was Aberdeen Angus steak with bone marrow risotto) and I'd be grateful if I could have the vegetarian option, he seemed very put out, told me that that wasn't possible as I hadn't pre-booked it and eventually came back and told me that he could provide me with a chicken dish.....which was lovely......except that it was accompanied by the bone marrow risotto (beef!). Whereas I fully accept that it was not Claridges fault that they had not been notified of my dietary requirements, I was surprised and disappointed that an organisation with their reputation found it so challenging to cater to my dietary requirements (in the past, in similar situations, less salubrious restaurants have managed with a great deal of panache and charm thrown in!). I am also disappointed that Claridges kitchen failed to realise that it is not acceptable to serve a risotto flavoured with bone marrow to someone who doesn't eat beef!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear “samanthavaruni”,

I am sorry to read about your experience and would love to look into it in more detail. It seems as though you attended an event in one of our Private Dining rooms and I am surprised that you found it difficult to have your dietary requirements catered for as these are customary requests.

I have discussed your review with Martin Nail, our Executive Chef at Claridge’s, as well as with Russell Platt, our Director of Events and Groups, and although we unfortunately cannot turn back the clock we would all be curious to understand how this could happen. In the meantime, Martin and Russell join me in sending our apologies to you.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Right at the end of november last year we booked a weekend stay (sat-monday) at Claridges, our first stay there (we are frequent 5* hotel stayers in London so our expectations were established). Upon booking i called the hotel and over the phone they did not seem aware of the deals that were showing online... So i was glad that i checked as it saved me £300 on one night alone! Seemed a little dishonest as the deals were on Claridges own website.

We arrived to a beautiful hotel in a great area with really helpful staff! It was close to christmas so the feeling was merry and bright which was greatly aided by the magical christmas decorations throughout. In short we would have had a marvellous time in an exquisite hotel however upon returning to our room at approximately 9pm (newly refurbed and good enough size) we realised a party was going on downstairs... The noise of the music could be clearly heard above the television, but it was quite early so we called down to check on what was happening; 'a wedding, wont be much longer' so we ordered room service which arrived by 10pm approximately and the music was still booming... Not the ideal dinner accompaniment especially when paying through the nose for an exciting birthday weekend! We called down again to see if the music could be turned down as there was no chance of sleep with the noise levels to find ourselves being questioned 'we'll have to send someone up to check if the noise levels are too high'; they are, we just told you so! So at 11.00pm by which time we're starting to have headaches and feel grumpy someone comes upstairs to agree that its unacceptably loud and we can move.. 11.30pm we move, admittedly an upgrade (did not are by then!!), in our dressing gowns! Embarrassing! I loose a leather glove, its late, bad tempered etc etc! No one cares! No discounts offered, no reference made to my birthday at any point during the stay so then start being irritated by things i.e. £27 for two cups of tea! Simply because of the disappointment of the first night! And lack of care!!

We make our disappointment quietly clear upon departure and weeks later someone calls and says a free stay will follow.. Its feb and nothing!

A bitter pill as feel less important than a wedding party paying more... All guests should be important and they should have booked the hotel out if it was going to be too loud to sleep!

Good luck... Hope you're important enough for them to care!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear “Melissat4739”,

I read your review with great concern. I would very much like to liaise with you personally and if you will kindly allow me to may I please invite you to contact me directly on tkochs@claridges.co.uk.

I hope to hear from you.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed in a Linley Suite. The care I received from Ian Kidd and Adriana Fonseca prior to our arrival put us at ease. Sure, there are much grander suites where I'm sure the more discreet stars and movers and shakers spend more than the £1500 per night that we spent. But our suite left nothing to be desired. We felt like especially honored guests at all times.
There are Linley Suites that are full- on Art Deco. But very authentic,
[especially compared to another London hotel which claims to provide this experience but falls short] Our traditional version had murano chandeliers, fireplace mantels, touches of Art Deco, touches of gilt. But, even though these suites are relatively new, that really felt timeless.
It was flawless in execution as well as upkeep and cleanliness.A lovely entry hall with elegant wall covering betrayed a timeless but sophisticated,pared down taste.. A proper hall made the suite feel like an apartment. The sitting room was so inviting and well done. Huge windows let in the sun and a view of the street. No alleyways here. The famous specially designed chairs done for these Linley suites were so comfortable beyond one might imagine in a room designed so elegantly wher stle sometimes trumps comfort.
The bath was large and lovely and a refreshing departure from your typical luxe hotel bath. It had a real art deco feel. Right down to the color scheme.

Of course, we were treated splendidly. Adriana made sure our tea reservations (twice, it was so special:elegant but original) and our meals in the .Reading Room were a pleasure. We enjoy eating in and staying in at our hotel. Eating dinner surrounded by the ambience of the Foyer and Lobby area is one of the pleasures of a trip to Claridge's. Why not take advantage of their gorgeous public spaces. Also, same for room service. Just elegant.
Security is great. I also appreciated that Claridge's understands that guests at the hotel come first. Nothing more off- putting than having to wait for a breakfast table: that doesn't happen here. Nor does the staff leave you adrift in the lovely bar. Soon enough you will be enjoying a delicious cocktail
As for the front office team, no particular wish goes unfulfilled. Champagne in our room...excellent.

I also like the concierge who arranges tickets and the like. Sure there is an up charge for the best seats in the house of a popular show. But you get what you pay for. And, for those who complain, all hotels charge a surcharge for such services.

One slight problem: Our suite was so lovely, I will admit to begging off from constant sightseeing in order to luxuriate. The cup of tea the staff were only too happy to provide and the lovely furnishings were a special part of my holiday. Having been to London many times I enjoyed the pleasure of a relaxing afternoon while my family forged on.

I noticed some reviewers have commented that some rooms are showing their age. Simply book a Linley Suite or specifically ask for a new deluxe room. And if you can manage it, the specialty suites are special, indeed. (and quite costly)
Cannot find fault with our experience. It was leas costly than the reincarnation of another famous London Hotel but at least Claridge's feels utterly authentic: the history is still real. Claridge's and Mayfair belong together and represent the great British tradition through and through.

Room Tip: Ask for newly decorated room or a Linley Suite.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Lessylphides”,

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for the compliment you paid us and especially the team.

Thomas

Been to Claridge's? Share your experiences!