“None better” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #198 of 1,073 hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“None better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Claridge's is stupendous. Quiet, elegant, everyone in staff very gracious and cheerful. Breakfast excellent. The decor is beautiful: door handles, bath/sink fixtures from 80+ years ago, wonderful and unique, like stepping back in time. It could not have been a better experience. I look forward to my return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear “deebeemoo2”,

We look forward to seeing you again and with many thanks for the great review.

Kind regards,

850 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

To my girlfriend for a birthday surprise and stayed in a Luxury King room which is their highest standard room without checking in to a suite.
After letting them know our arrival time we were told that the room was not ready and that we would have to wait. We made for the bar and has our drinks which after we were told were complimentary which was a nice touch. Also we were able to move our afternoon tea reservation back.
The room was spacious and we were left a complimentary birthday cake which was a really nine touch. Had an exceptional tea and good nights sleep. Also a special mention to the fantastic shower and bath. I love a large rainfall shower with an additional sholder shower.
This all being said there were a a few small disappointments. We were not provided slippers, there was a large coat of dust present on most surfaces even after the turndown service. Some of the furniture were showing their age and the plugs for the lamps were almost black with dirt from over the years (I assume). The air conditioning unit, although noisy had no affect at all and the tv radio located in the bathroom was broken.
Breakfast was good but the forgotten items and to be brought to the room promptly after the first attempt.
All in all an excellent stay the high points being exceptional service which was perfect they really do look after you in the most polite, kind and professional way which is a difficult balance to get right. Unfortunately with such a price tag you do not expect dirt in the room and for the units to be working, which unfortunately tainted our stay.
Would I return? I am not sure there are many high end hotels and Claridges just fell short of standing out as the best.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear “Foodbuff81”,

I am glad to read that all in all you had an excellent stay and your particular praise about the service is gratefully received.

I have taken careful note of some of the details of your stay and reassure you that they will be addressed.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beautiful surroundings and most members of staff were utterly charming and attentive when I attended my organisation's annual dinner here. However, I felt let down by the service during the meal. I don't eat beef and this message had not been conveyed to Claridges prior to the meal (which, of course, was not their fault). My disappointment relates to the fact that when I told the Head waiter that I couldn't eat the main meal (which was Aberdeen Angus steak with bone marrow risotto) and I'd be grateful if I could have the vegetarian option, he seemed very put out, told me that that wasn't possible as I hadn't pre-booked it and eventually came back and told me that he could provide me with a chicken dish.....which was lovely......except that it was accompanied by the bone marrow risotto (beef!). Whereas I fully accept that it was not Claridges fault that they had not been notified of my dietary requirements, I was surprised and disappointed that an organisation with their reputation found it so challenging to cater to my dietary requirements (in the past, in similar situations, less salubrious restaurants have managed with a great deal of panache and charm thrown in!). I am also disappointed that Claridges kitchen failed to realise that it is not acceptable to serve a risotto flavoured with bone marrow to someone who doesn't eat beef!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear “samanthavaruni”,

I am sorry to read about your experience and would love to look into it in more detail. It seems as though you attended an event in one of our Private Dining rooms and I am surprised that you found it difficult to have your dietary requirements catered for as these are customary requests.

I have discussed your review with Martin Nail, our Executive Chef at Claridge’s, as well as with Russell Platt, our Director of Events and Groups, and although we unfortunately cannot turn back the clock we would all be curious to understand how this could happen. In the meantime, Martin and Russell join me in sending our apologies to you.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Right at the end of november last year we booked a weekend stay (sat-monday) at Claridges, our first stay there (we are frequent 5* hotel stayers in London so our expectations were established). Upon booking i called the hotel and over the phone they did not seem aware of the deals that were showing online... So i was glad that i checked as it saved me £300 on one night alone! Seemed a little dishonest as the deals were on Claridges own website.

We arrived to a beautiful hotel in a great area with really helpful staff! It was close to christmas so the feeling was merry and bright which was greatly aided by the magical christmas decorations throughout. In short we would have had a marvellous time in an exquisite hotel however upon returning to our room at approximately 9pm (newly refurbed and good enough size) we realised a party was going on downstairs... The noise of the music could be clearly heard above the television, but it was quite early so we called down to check on what was happening; 'a wedding, wont be much longer' so we ordered room service which arrived by 10pm approximately and the music was still booming... Not the ideal dinner accompaniment especially when paying through the nose for an exciting birthday weekend! We called down again to see if the music could be turned down as there was no chance of sleep with the noise levels to find ourselves being questioned 'we'll have to send someone up to check if the noise levels are too high'; they are, we just told you so! So at 11.00pm by which time we're starting to have headaches and feel grumpy someone comes upstairs to agree that its unacceptably loud and we can move.. 11.30pm we move, admittedly an upgrade (did not are by then!!), in our dressing gowns! Embarrassing! I loose a leather glove, its late, bad tempered etc etc! No one cares! No discounts offered, no reference made to my birthday at any point during the stay so then start being irritated by things i.e. £27 for two cups of tea! Simply because of the disappointment of the first night! And lack of care!!

We make our disappointment quietly clear upon departure and weeks later someone calls and says a free stay will follow.. Its feb and nothing!

A bitter pill as feel less important than a wedding party paying more... All guests should be important and they should have booked the hotel out if it was going to be too loud to sleep!

Good luck... Hope you're important enough for them to care!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear “Melissat4739”,

I read your review with great concern. I would very much like to liaise with you personally and if you will kindly allow me to may I please invite you to contact me directly on tkochs@claridges.co.uk.

I hope to hear from you.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed in a Linley Suite. The care I received from Ian Kidd and Adriana Fonseca prior to our arrival put us at ease. Sure, there are much grander suites where I'm sure the more discreet stars and movers and shakers spend more than the £1500 per night that we spent. But our suite left nothing to be desired. We felt like especially honored guests at all times.
There are Linley Suites that are full- on Art Deco. But very authentic,
[especially compared to another London hotel which claims to provide this experience but falls short] Our traditional version had murano chandeliers, fireplace mantels, touches of Art Deco, touches of gilt. But, even though these suites are relatively new, that really felt timeless.
It was flawless in execution as well as upkeep and cleanliness.A lovely entry hall with elegant wall covering betrayed a timeless but sophisticated,pared down taste.. A proper hall made the suite feel like an apartment. The sitting room was so inviting and well done. Huge windows let in the sun and a view of the street. No alleyways here. The famous specially designed chairs done for these Linley suites were so comfortable beyond one might imagine in a room designed so elegantly wher stle sometimes trumps comfort.
The bath was large and lovely and a refreshing departure from your typical luxe hotel bath. It had a real art deco feel. Right down to the color scheme.

Of course, we were treated splendidly. Adriana made sure our tea reservations (twice, it was so special:elegant but original) and our meals in the .Reading Room were a pleasure. We enjoy eating in and staying in at our hotel. Eating dinner surrounded by the ambience of the Foyer and Lobby area is one of the pleasures of a trip to Claridge's. Why not take advantage of their gorgeous public spaces. Also, same for room service. Just elegant.
Security is great. I also appreciated that Claridge's understands that guests at the hotel come first. Nothing more off- putting than having to wait for a breakfast table: that doesn't happen here. Nor does the staff leave you adrift in the lovely bar. Soon enough you will be enjoying a delicious cocktail
As for the front office team, no particular wish goes unfulfilled. Champagne in our room...excellent.

I also like the concierge who arranges tickets and the like. Sure there is an up charge for the best seats in the house of a popular show. But you get what you pay for. And, for those who complain, all hotels charge a surcharge for such services.

One slight problem: Our suite was so lovely, I will admit to begging off from constant sightseeing in order to luxuriate. The cup of tea the staff were only too happy to provide and the lovely furnishings were a special part of my holiday. Having been to London many times I enjoyed the pleasure of a relaxing afternoon while my family forged on.

I noticed some reviewers have commented that some rooms are showing their age. Simply book a Linley Suite or specifically ask for a new deluxe room. And if you can manage it, the specialty suites are special, indeed. (and quite costly)
Cannot find fault with our experience. It was leas costly than the reincarnation of another famous London Hotel but at least Claridge's feels utterly authentic: the history is still real. Claridge's and Mayfair belong together and represent the great British tradition through and through.

Room Tip: Ask for newly decorated room or a Linley Suite.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Lessylphides”,

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for the compliment you paid us and especially the team.

Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Most of what I will say has been said before but I will say it anyway. The hotel is just beautiful. Although one has some expectation of what one will see inside to contrast with the exterior is dramatic and spectacular. Like others, my husband and I visited while the main entrance was being refurbished, but the negative impact of this was negligible. Having never stayed here before we were a little nervous, prepared to feel intimidated, but we need not have done. The staff are wonderful. The quality of service offered is second to none, it is attentive but not intrusive (a difficult balance) enhanced by the fact that the staff genuinely want to help and enjoy their work. There is a world of difference between the professional smile and a genuine one and all the smiles we received were genuine, a tribute to the culture and the ethos of the establishment. This in itself enhances the guest experience and adds to the overall feeling of being made to feel welcomed. The grandeur of the interior cannot be underestimated, and although the attended lift is a feature we opted to walk down on every occasion just to repeat the experience of reaching the first floor and looking down from the balcony onto the atrium below, to be followed by the experience of descending the last section of the staircase, the wide, grand sweep of carpet being the transition from the quiet of the residents area to the constantly busy and beating heart of the hotel: the atrium and the Foyer. The room, the deluxe king size was perfect, clean, comfortable (well without digesting a thesaurus this is as close as I am going to get to it on this occasion) and luxurious. This was to be the first time in many years that I would not have minded experiencing one of my frequent bouts of insomnia, so I could continue to make the most of the atmosphere and my environment. The attention to detail in the rooms would take too much time to cover except to say it is excellent, I just wish I had the eating capacity to take full advantage of the cake and fruit served to us in our room in the late afternoon/early evening
My booking included breakfast so was not particularly concerned about the cost. However, I had no quibble about the quality of the English breakfast or the quality of my husband’s European breakfast. The platter itself was accompanied by toast/breads and pastries with tea/coffee and grapefruit juice/orange juice the quality of which were excellent. Do not compare the cost of this breakfast with the cost of a breakfast anywhere else; approach it as a dining experience. Consider the quality and amount of the food included in this price, the fact that there is no hurry and you can have as leisurely a breakfast as you require (bearing in mind that breakfast service finishes at 10.30) and the environment you are dining in then the £35 per head cost is not as expensive as one might on first thoughts imagine. In fact I would recommend this as an alternative to the classic afternoon teas people visit Claridges for. I did not sample the Afternoon tea on this occasion; we will leave this for next time. And this surely answers the question, will we be back? Very definitely yes. Many, many thanks to all the staff who contributed to make our stay such a memorable experience.

Room Tip: I hear that some rooms have not been refurbished. Ours had been and was on the third floor and was...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “Baszunia”,

Your wonderful feedback means a great deal to us - thank you so much.

We hope to welcome you back soon but, in the meantime, we wish you safe travels.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the beautiful Claridge's hotel for our wedding night and truly enjoyed every moment.
The hotel is luxurious but yet friendly and staff incredibly attentive, with the sole aim in mind to make your experience truly memorable on every level.

We have also tried the Gordon Ramsey-Claridges restaurant with our friends and the food was just exquisite! I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for that special treat to celebrate their birthday's or anniversary.

We have been upgraded on our night to an amazing suite and felt like a royalty!
Huge thank you for the Claridge's team for making our stay unforgettable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “Mon696”,

I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and especially as it was your wedding night - many congratulations from us all.

Thomas

Been to Claridge's? Share your experiences!