“Red carpet welcome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 1,075 hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Red carpet welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Recently stayed at the beautiful art deco hotel Claridges. From the minute you set foot outside this grand old lady of a hotel, you are treated like royalty. The hotel was undergoing some updatiing to the foyer area however every effort was made so that this had minimal impact upon its visitors. This visit was a treat to celbrate my birthday. We have a Westie who accompanies us every where. Jamie was also mad very welcome. At the check in desk it was noted he was with us and after been shown to our room we found that we had been allocated a larger room. There was a bed and bowl for Jamie which was great, something less to have to pack. The room we had could have done with some updating and I was wondering if they kept back certain rooms for visitors with pets?? However the room was large and well appointed with everything that you would want. The bathroom was sacious and as well as having a large bath there was a walkin shower with a huge shower head. Luxuary robes, plentiful soft fluffy towles and fantatic toiletries completed with the marble floor and art deco tiling over the bath. The room we had was also suitable for a wheelchair user with good access around the bedroom and access to the bathroom as well.

We had room service in the form of afternoon tea. This was well presented and enjoyable. Our room rate included breakfast, we opted to pay the £5 delivery to have breakfast served in our room. A luxuary but for me someone disabled and I find it difficult to get up early. You can have your breakfast delivered when you want it. The breakfast was of good quality and choice and served with hot coffee in a well insulated pot.

We also managed to get a table in the Foyer area to take tea. The only draw bak with Claridges is that if you just want a drink with a cake or scones you must be in the Foyer or Reading room. These areas are booked up many months in advance leaving you the only option is to have your dinks served in your room. We were luky and were found a space to take tea, again this was pleasureable but at £50 for 2 pots of tea and 4 scones with jam and cream, I did no feel represented value for money. However we were offered more tea and scones, which we had to decline as were we dining there later that evening.

Diner in the Reading room was very nice. The tables for 2 were on the small side and when things started to arrive the table soon filled up. I sat in my wheelchair and found my knees were above the table. The only way I could get them under was to move my footrests and lower my feet to the floor. We opted to eat from the A La Carte menu. Again the food was of good quality and quantity. The wines that the staff helped us chose were also very good. The service was attentive without being over the top. The prices in the restaurant are onpar of a 1 star Michelin rate. I have dined at many stared restaurants and they are not up to a 1 star rating, but the food and service are of good quality.

Our overall experience at Claridges was a very positive one and we will certainly return and would reccomend anyone to stay here for that special ocassion. Make use of the overnight complimentary shoe shine and news paper service. Check the hotes website as deals at the weekend can come in at around £400 per room per night with breakfast. Felt very spoilt and can not wait for the next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear "Julie P",

If you felt like royalty we did our job!

Thank you for your review.

840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Ate here a few years ago to coincide with the start of our Honeymoon & New Years Eve - the whole experience was fabulous. Everything from the service, the hotel surroundings and the food, were first class. We had a 7 course meal, and each course was fantastic.
Would definitely recommend for a special occasion. Claridge's really is a very special place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "TINA C",

We agree that Claridge's is a very special place and we all very much enjoy looking after it.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here Wednesday 16th overnight in a Delux King Room.
We were met in reception by Emma very friendly and as we were early 1pm our room wasn't ready so we went into the Reading Room for tea. Service was wonderful and they pour your tea every cup! (Unlike the Ritz where you pour your own).
We were shown to our room which was spacious and delightfully decorated. The winged chairs were very comfortable and the bed heavenly.
We had room service late that evening just a toasted sandwich, it came in 6 finger sandwiches so trust me 1 between 2 would be plenty. The service was prompt and efficient and the sandwiches hot.
Again we had room service for breakfast this was lovely with no issues beautifully laid out and delicious.
After checking out we left our luggage and went and sat in the reading room where we had a late lunch. The service was faultless and the staff friendly and dutiful in their work. We loved it do much we have booked 3 more dates one being a weekend indulgence package.
The decor and surroundings of this beautiful building are breathtakingly magnificent. English through and through !

• Stayed January 2013
Telford, Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband booked a nights stay at Claridges for my Birthday. He did not tell me where we were going until we were on te train. We were picked up at Euston by a driver from the hotel in a Bentley! It was amazing! As we walked into the hotel everything was amazing. After watching the Tv programme I was a bit worried we would be disappointed but definitely not. Everyone greets you as you walk through the hotel. I was wished a happy birthday when we checked in a complimentary champagne sent to the room.We had afternoon tea which was really good and I had a fruit tart with a candle and chocolate Happy Birthday written on the plate - a really nice touch. We got back to the room and there was a piece of chocolate cake with a candle in awaiting for me. I would usually have wolfed this down but we were too full from afternoon tea. The room was a delux king and was lovely - art deco and spacious. Breakfast the next morning was also very good and was included in our package.
We were treated fabulously by all the staff. My husband said that they went out of their way when he was booking it for my Birthday. Maybe we will make this a regular Birthday thing !

Dear "Whittos",

I am so glad that you had a wonderful birthday and that your husband's idea was a total success.

Ironbridge Gorge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here last Saturday night and just LOVED the Hotel and the Staff..The service we received upon arrival was amazing....the Bar Staff in the Main bar also...Fantastic. The Room (Deluxe) was everything it says and more...wonderful experience and I shall never forget!!!
The Breakfast however on Sunday morning was a huge disappointment....The table was lovely as were the staff...but the whole breakfast was a disaster....cold bread and pastries...lukewarm coffee, not enough milk, an hour's wait from ordering to receiving the cooked breakfast.....We sent the toast back twice as it was cold and thin...we sent poached eggs back as they were hard...twice....the plates were cold....sausages not quality...fried eggs undercooked....bacon undercooked...what a shame from an otherwise perfect stay!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear "Bluemel",

Your breakfast experience sounds far from desirable and it seems that the saying "It never rains but it pours" has some truth in it.

Thank you for calling your stay as otherwise perfectand I hope that this will be the memory you will keep until your next visit when we will redeem ourselves with our breakfast service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My trip to Claridge's was a surprise treat from my boyfriend for my Birthday. We walked into the entrance of the hotel and were immediately wowed by the decor. My boyfriend had already informed the hotel that it was my birthday and so after checking in, the staff offered to send complementary champagne up to our room, which was a lovely touch.

The room was brilliant, with a beautiful marble bathroom (with a shower so strong it was more like a waterfall!) The room was clean, with slippers, robes and all of the added extras you would expect from a 5 star establishment. There was also a cake waiting for me in the room from the hotel for my birthday; another wonderful touch.

In the evening we had a couple of cocktails at the Claridge's Bar, which although extremely expensive, had a great atmosphere and the drinks were accompanied with nibbles. We had breakfast the next morning in the Foyer and once again the service could not be faulted.

It was a truly unforgettable experience and I would love to visit again. Several members of staff wished me a happy birthday when we checked out, showing how attentive they all are. The only disappointment was that the main entrance is currently closed off due to renovations, but this could not be helped. Recommended for a special occasion.

Dear "Clmarsh",

Thank you for your wonderful review. We care passionately about providing exceptional service experiences and meaningful memories. For you to say it was a truly unforgettable experience makes us all very happy.

We appreciate your bearing with us whilst our main entrance was being restored and I am pleased to say it has now re-opened and looks fantastic. I hope you will have the opportunity to come by to see it soon.

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

WOW,is all I can say. I have just returned from spending a night @ Claridges as a surprise from my partner for my 30th Birthday.From the moment we checked in the whole experience was wonderful. We were given an upgrade for my Birthday on arrival and were escorted to the room by a wonderful receptionist who explained all the details in the room. There was Birthday cake and a card form the team in our room when we got there, and then a glass of champagne with compliments....WOW..

We decided to go for a drink in the foyer and Claridges Bar which was FANTASTIC, and then later had booked in to Gordon Ramsay's restaurant which I can only say was by far the best dining experience I have ever received, I have eaten in a few of London's finest dining restaurants but this was by far the best. The food was exquisite and the service impeccable..

Then we had a few drinks in the Fumoir bar"Amazing".........

The room was spotless and had everything I needed. Breakfast was out of this world and the staff there were true professionals throughout. I never needed to ask for anything as they were at hand at all times, (usually I do not like people bothering me or asking me things, however the Claridges team never make you feel uncomfortable and they know exactly when to leave you alone and when you need something or not)......They do not impose on you at all and I feel, as someone who has worked in hotels all my life, they are the masters in the industry.

Going there was a true treat for me and I could never usually afford this type of hotel, however I can truly say I will be back next year, and the next, and the next...

Everything was beyond perfect and I would like to thank "every single" team member at Claridges for making my 30th Birthday something I shall NEVER EVER forget.

Dear "RobMT",

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are very happy that we played a part in your 30th Birthday celebrations.

With all good wishes from us all.

Thomas

Been to Claridge's? Share your experiences!