“another amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 1,054 Hotels in London
london
“another amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have just spent our anniversary at Claridges again 2 days of sheer heaven in my favourite suite. This hotel is faultless I feel I'm coming home when we walk through the doors, nothing is too much trouble and the staff go out of their way to make your stay as memorable as possible. Its the little touches that make it so special we were greeted in our room by a bottle of champagne a card and cake for our anniversary and a christmas tree in our suite made my day. I can't praise the staff highly enough its luxury above and beyond expectation.

Room Tip: The Linley suites rock !!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear “melandnick”,

What more can we ask for?

A very Happy New Year from us all.

Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here about a year ago, and thought the rooms were very over-rated. I had a deluxe studio, which came out to be around 700 dollars per night. I think they are due for a restoration, because they look a bit dated to me. Besides that, the service was as expected and the actual hotel and location are beautiful. I loved the scones at room service!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear “Nordstrom23”,

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Claridge’s and deliver an experience that will be “WOW” rather than “So So”.

Let me know should you wish to return and I will gladly assist with your reservation.

Stratford-upon-avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

After seeing the hotel on tv with its glowing review from the BBC I thought I would take my family for a weekend. The hotel was nice but not suitable for children. My bar bill was doubled up and when I advised the hotel the receptionist she was rather rude about it telling me to check back later to see if the duplicate charges could be removed ! The hotel needs to seriously look at the way it presents childrens food. They serve mini adult portions instead of whats needed to satisfy a child.

Room Tip: away from the road as several car alarms went off during the night and early morning although we wer...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ditchling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Probably without doubt the most beautiful and cinematic hotel lobby in London. The glamour is palpable as you float through entrance, past the famous tea room and up the grand stairway... You'd have to be a real curmudgeon not to feel you have entered an enchanted realm of sophistication and art deco splendour. So is this worth £300 a night? Let me get back to you on that...

Once ensconced in my double room - and availing myself of the 20s bath fittings I noticed the faint whiff of something old, and it wasn't my grandad - but a rather noxious odour emanating from the shower drain. A phone call and engineer later, it turns out it's old pipes (despite the new refit?) and I'm off to fresher climbs in a new room. Great. But a hassle having to pack up my kit back and unpack all over again. So much for the room checking too.

Time for room service. I order the salad with chorizo and squid and a bottle of perrier. It's only around £48.00. (Irony not included). Half an hour later it arrives on a hospital gurney followed by the waiter who proceeds to 'set it up' for me... Silver and plates and flowers are great but you can't help wondering why all this bluster and pomp for a simple salad and water, when a tray woud suffice. Then you realise the salad is pretty insipid and all of this silver service palava is a distraction and an attempt to justify the silly price. I could do without this and the overly rich menu options and realise I can get hot tasty food only a march away in Soho at a 3rd of the price. ('Why am I thinking like this, I'm in Claridges'!)

One of the joys of staying in a hotel of this calbre is being able to order in knowing that the food is going to be of a quality equal to that of the beauty of the lobby - but it's not. And there's the rub. Like lots of quality hotels they still haven't mastered the science of room service.

In the morning I have ordered porridge and coffee. The coffee is standard filter flavour (no patch on a flat white from Bar Italia) and the porridge is well, inedible. It smells like male ejaculate and you could paper two walls with it. It is grey and is, I decide, why porridge gets a bad rap from those who dont understand it's beaufiful simplicity and nourishment when it's done well. The executive chef should be made to eat this - because if you can't get a basic staple like this right then there's no bloody hope. Oh yes, all this for £18.00. Nice, not, and left quite literally, a bad taste in my mouth. One of the joys of staying in a hotel like this, is well, staying put and ordering in, and despite the stupid prices, I would - but the food is really not up to scratch.

So yes, blow a few hundred quid, a few thousand, and suck up all that Old World charm, but if you want to eat in - well get your boots on head for Soho, and eat out. Not good enough for the price.

Room Tip: make sure bathrooms dont smell and you are not next to a family as you can hear them.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear “DickR22,

Although it was with very mixed feelings that I read your review I would first of all like to acknowledge and thank you for your lovely words about the visual appearance of Claridge’s and its beautiful lobby.

I am sure it is easy to write in an anonymous forum but it would help me if you would get in touch with me directly so that I can ascertain the room you were originally assigned and we can rectify the problem with the pipes (my direct e-mail address is tkochs@claridges.co.uk). We are very keen for all our guests to leave Claridge’s with wonderful memories and we clearly failed to achieve this in your case.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to comment on your remarks about our Room Service offering as I found them offensive and inappropriate. All I can say is that (a) our pricing structure is very much in line with comparable hotels in London and stand up to any international benchmark and (b) you are talking about one of London’s finest and most acclaimed kitchen operations.

I hope that we can liaise further and I am sure that we will find a good solution to your experience.

Thomas Kochs
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Was my first experience.,,,and last. The staff is friendly and professional however the rooms (i stayed in a standard room) need attention. I was really disappointed when I walked into the room. The carpeting was old, the bathroom sink is totally outdated giving virtually no space to hold your hands against the running water. The shower was "ok". I could clearly hear the gentleman in the next room coughing....I am a frequent London traveler.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear “Raffi B”,

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff but I am naturally disappointed that you were not entirely happy with your room allocation. Should you wish to share your experience with me in more detail, which I would greatly appreciate, please contact me on tkochs@claridges.co.uk.

I hope I will hear from you.

Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights the week before Christmas 2012. Following an unfortunate experience with room allocation on arrival we eventually agreed a Linley Suite at an additional cost to what we had previously booked. However, the reception staff, Anna and Greg, dealt with the situation with immense professionalism and following some complimentary champagne in the bar,we arrived in our suite with great excitement!
The suite was absolutely beautiful (recently remodelled and refurbished) and looked out over the front of the Hotel. Our Butler (Steven) was charming, extremely helpful and full of knowledge about the history of this wonderful Hotel! In fact every staff member that looked after us throughout the whole of our stay, no matter what department, were unobtrusive but very friendly,helpful and always extremely professional! Nothing was too much trouble.
The recent documentary about the Hotel on BBC 2 paints a wonderful portrait of this beautiful Hotel and Claridge's lived up to it all - and more!
Ideally located in the heart of Mayfair, this grand old Dame has stood ovelooking luxury service in London for many years? The public areas are breathtakingly beautiful and with the Christmas decorations in abundance your first impression will be one of sheer joy!
We have stayed in many 5 star hotels throughout the world as well as most of those in London, Claridge's has something special, hard to define one special area as it is all magnificent!Those of you that know the Hotel scene in London will know the huge amount of competition in the Capital with 5 star hotels, Claridges stands out! On the pricey side I grant you, but what price a truly unique experience! Visit Claridges soon, she will not disappoint you!

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a refurbished room/suite. Claridges are currently updating all their rooms and yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Claridges_London, General Manager at Claridge's, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear “Keith C”,

We thank you for your wonderful review and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Claridge’s

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The rooms are large and impossibly charming, with cozy alcoves and built-ins. The bath was large, if a bit dated. The Mayfair location is terrific. And the staff is superb, with concierges who can probably get you into anything. The hotel does feel a bit crowded at times, with the dining room full at breakfast and shorts waits for the concierges when I was there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear “FrankWeho”,

I am glad you enjoyed your experience and the Concierges send their regards.

We apologise if there were short waiting times - of course, this should not have happened.

Thomas

Been to Claridge's? Share your experiences!