“Central London accommodation - clean and tidy.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ridgemount Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ridgemount Hotel
You added Ridgemount Hotel to your Saves list
65 - 67 Gower Street, London WC1E 6HJ, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #226 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canberra, Australia
“Central London accommodation - clean and tidy.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed in a family room (room 31) on the top floor ... 59 steps up. We carried our heavy bags up and down and walked the stairs several times a day between trips around London. This wouldn't have been an issue had we not been at the end of our holiday with all our bags with us.

This place is more like a guest house - clean and tidy - rather than a hotel.

The family room was on the small side for us, especially with little room to put suitcases. The room had two single beds and a double, though the wife thinks that it could have been a king single. The room has an ensuite with shower and toilet.

One thing to note is that the UCH (Hospital) is just up the road. The number of sirens (ambulance & police) that we heard each evening was an unwelcome reminder of life in the city centre. Closing the windows and secondary double glazing helped a little but the room could get a little stuffy with four people in it.

I found the room warm in late afternoon and we had to open the windows to get any relief. It soon cooled and it was mostly comfortable during the evening.

The proprietor and staff were welcoming and provided good advice on special events occurring in London.

Breakfast was interesting. A choice of four cereals followed by a mini cooked breakfast of eggs + bacon and one other from an apparent rotating schedule of other foods (tomatoes, sausage or beans). As much toast as you could eat and tea / coffee / hot chocolate / orange juice.

There was a lounge with coffee machine, tv and two computers with internet connectivity. We didn't use this facility.

We have stayed in better places in London but they were more expensive. We chose this place for its location within central London and the transport links here are excellent. The price of the accommodation is fair given the location. The accommodation is clean and tidy and the staff were very good. I'd recommend it but don't expect a palace.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Gower Street are likely to be quieter. Ask the Proprietor for options on room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about the Ridgemount Hotel is that it motivated me to be anywhere but in it. I stayed here on the concluding leg of a longer journey (touring Jordan, Egypt, and Italy), and it came as some surprise that this central-London hotel was the most disappointing of all my accommodation - not so much for its negative qualities, but for how thoroughly other hotels I'd stayed at (including some in the middle of deserts) left it for dead.
This was the most expensive place I stayed at in six weeks (£52 per night), which bought me a cupboard with a single bed, a sink, a chair, and a desk. The "hotel" is actually better described as an old-style boarding house, with few rooms having private facilities or room to swing more than two cats at once. I shared a toilet and shower with the floor above, which, while clean, took me back to the days of school camps and to the curious indignity of queuing in line for a second-hand shower.
The hotel was always busy with people coming and going, and the rooms are renovated to make use of every square inch of space. (Other rooms on my floor, glimpsed through open doors, made my modest spread seem positively spacious, sleeping with three beds laid end-to-end.) Doors and pipes were a frequent distraction, and when my TV set was unplugged to make use of the single power socket, the couple next door were good for a bout of energetic and entertaining sex. Besides the free entertainment, there's wifi (ask for the password) and precious little else; the place is so gormless it encourages you to waste no unnecessary time there after your oddly invasive, portion-controlled breakfast. Luckily, it's close to the Underground and a modest walk to the Soho theatres, Regent Street, Oxford Street, and other distractions.
Recommended to me on good authority, I was a little shocked to find it so primate, especially for the cost. I'd have been better severed staying at a backpackers, saving myself the money for the same exact facilities. Thanks all the same, but I think I'll try my luck elsewhere next time.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was very pleased with the price and service at the Ridgemount. I stayed in Room 23 facing the garden. Great access to the underground via Grooge Street station just 2 blocks away. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast service was great.

• Stayed October 2012
Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've been going to London fairly regularly two or three times a year for the past ten years or so, so as you can imagine I've seen my fair share of B&Bs and hotels, and I must say the Ridgemount is a real gem!
The fact that it's managed and run as a family business really makes a difference. I had been trying to book here for ages, but always found it fully booked; finally this time I managed to book enough in advance and found a place...and I'm so glad I did!
When we arrived, we were given a choice between a room on the first floor and one in the basement. We choose the one in the basement, overlooking the garden, and I'm so glad we did, as it was really quiet, you could hardly hear a noise, even from the other rooms within the building. The room was spotlessly clean, with a recently refurbished bathroom and plenty of shelves and storage space.
Breakfast is freshly made (eggs, bacon and something on the side, such as beans or sausage) and yummy. Staff at breakfast were always cheerful and smiling, which was a definite bonus, as I've encountered plenty of grumpy staff over the years.
The owners are very nice people, with always a word for you when you go out in the morning, if you need help with directions, suggestions about sights to see etc.
There's no lift, it being an 18th century building, but we were helped with our luggage both on arrival and when we left.
Finally, there's free wi-fi available, plus two computers for guest use in the lounge.
Rates are very reasonable and I'll definitely stay there again when I'm in London!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Ridgemount about ten times now, primarily nine times over the last 13 years, and there is a reason for that! I have never found a reason to stay elsewhere. I have scanned through the reviews here, and don't get some of the negativity; I think it's a great place to stay, and I was there again recently both at the beginning and end of a 24-day "trip-of-a-lifetime" trek through Great Britain and Ireland. The building dates from the 1700s, but has been kept up, and... I just love this place! It is run by a very nice, Welsh family who go out of their way to check up on you. I look so forward to Aled, the son of the family, handing me the keys and saying: "you know the drill." I always know I am in London when I hear that! The breakfasts are very good, with very lovely ladies serving you. Writing this is making me "homesick" for London, the Ridgemount and the Rees family. I may see you again next year!

Room Tip: I like asking for a room on the "garden side"... It is beautiful to me, either way, though...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Liverpool England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is very clean, beds are comfy and the location is good, although Gower Street is narrow, very congested and fume choked. But the bedroom was so small there was no room for a wardrobe. It was very cramped for 2 people with a bag each. When we asked about a bigger room we were told that they were all of a similar size: then the proprietor changed his mind and said there was a bigger room but it would cost more. As we were on a budget and didnt feel like packing all our stuff up again, we decided to stay put. We did not have an en suite. The shower on our floor was so tiny it was almost unusable. Two bathrooms on the floor below were bigger but we had to queue with a bunch of American kids to use them. No lift although our heavy bags were taken up to 3rd floor for us when we arrived. Breakfast can only be described as uninteresting, and was rationed. No fresh ( or dried) fruit or yoghurts. The female waitresses were very pleasant. Two of the reception staff were also very helpful. The owner seems a bit indifferent. I don't think he has to try very hard because the hotel is always full. ? Perhaps some competition nearby in the same price bracket would help the consumer. You get what you pay for they say, but we did not think the price of £75 or so for the twin room per night was good value. We would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room at the front on the 3rd floor was subject to bus noise and police or ambulance sirens. Eve...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Carlisle, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

For 9 days last week, my wife and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Ridgemount Hotel. It is conveniently situated in a very safe neighborhood. Importantly, it was just a few minutes walk to reach multiple bus lines as well as the Underground. This is a family-run hotel and Alad, his Dad and the rest of their team keep the rooms very clean while being extremely friendly and exceptionally knowledgeable about London, where to go, how to get around, etc. They went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We started every morning with a tasty, full English breakfast and were then on our way, usually not returning until late at night. Also, while we brought our own computers and were able to access free and fast WiFi service, the hotel also makes available a few computers with free WiFi for those who don't have their own.

By way of credibility, we've traveled extensively (about 70 countries) so we have a pretty good perspective on hotels, restaurants, etc. I have read a few previous posts on this site that have complained about the smaller room size, occasional street noise, etc. Guilty as charged! My suggestion is that if you're visiting the greatest city in the world, you should be spending as much of the day and night exploring and enjoying this incredible metropolis and not returning to your hotel until you're tired and ready for bed. In short, with all that there is to do and see in London, you shouldn't be worrying about your room size. But, if you're planning to spend a lot of time in your room such that room size is a huge concern for you, perhaps you should consider booking a larger room at the Ritz and paying five times the price for the privilege, comfort and status. Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

Bottom line for us: this was a great place to stay given its convenient location, the friendly and helpful proprietor and staff, the clean rooms, the free computer access as well as the filling breakfasts and overall good value. I encourage you to give it a try! Jay from Boston, MA

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ridgemount Hotel? Share your experiences!