“What a LetDown!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crescent Hotel

Save Saved
You added Crescent Hotel to your Saves list
Crescent Hotel
49-50 Cartwright Gardens | Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EL, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #375 of 1,075 hotels in London
USA
“What a LetDown!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We recently spent 6 nights in this hotel and it was a big letdown!! Firstly, we were three adults in what was advertised as a triple room. However, it was hardly big enough for even being called a double. There was no room to put or store ANYTHING. The closet was tiny and hard to get to; there was NOWHERE in the old outdated bathroom for any toiletries or other items; forget about storing suitcases!! Piled them up against the windows!! Had to walk sideways between the beds and small table in order to move. Management was totally unfriendly and off-putting, never asking whether we were satisfied or needed anything. The hotel was full (amazingly) so that we could not even have moved to another room if we would have said something. I tried getting into other hotels while we were there, that is how unhappy we were, but they were either also full or it was not worth the trouble to get everything out and move for only a day or two that was available at other places. So we dealt with it. But this is definitely NOT a place to stay for more than a day.

The reason I gave two stars rather than just the one was that there were some things that were okay, as follows :
Breakfast was filling and had something for everyone
Beds were very comfortable and room was clean

Nonetheless even the two advantages above did not make for a pleasant enough stay to ever want to go back, or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night. The hotel was chosen for its proximity to St Pancras station. The location was great but not the room. The ensuite toilet/bathroom was really small and barely equipped. Imagine there is no place to put the bath towels in the bathroom that they have to be placed on the bedspread. The shampoo and bath gel had to be placed under the sink.

The shower curtain was not long enough that water kept splashing out while taking shower. There is not enough hot water that we had to give up washing our hair as it was too cold. The sliding bathroom door was slanted that it couldn't be closed properly.

The bedroom floor was uneven that it was making a lot of noise while walking on it.

It's certainly not worth the price we had paid for.

Room Tip: The room on the ground floor was not good enough. Try rooms on other floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for two nights while at a conference at UCL's Institute of Archaeology, and found the Crescent Hotel to be perfectly serviceable as a London base. It took less than 10 minutes to walk to the IoA and the area felt very safe at night. It is also close to a number of underground stations, the British Museum, restaurants and cafes.

I had a large single ensuite room (Room 19), which was in a very quiet corner of the hotel (I overheard another guest complaining about hearing noises from pipes all night, but never noticed anything like that). The room was large enough to be a double (if not a triple) and was very comfortable for my two night stay, although I would not describe the room as stylish. It was clean, however, and I was most appreciative of the desk. One issue is the lack of temperature control; there was a small portable heater in the room which helped take the chill out of the air in the bedroom itself, but the bathroom could get quite cold. The tea-making facilities were fine if basic, although I do wish that more "normal" tea had been included (there was quite a lot of white tea, green tea, and fruity tea, only one bag of English breakfast!).

Much like the rest of the hotel, I found the breakfast to be perfectly serviceable; certainly not the best I've ever had, but it was hot and got me through to lunchtime. I balked a bit at the price at first (just under £100 per night--my experience elsewhere would say it was worth maybe £60-70/night), but this seems to be standard for London. Overall, it served its purpose and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I had Room 19, which has an ensuite bathroom, a nice desk, and an enormous bed; it was also very qui...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ness Ziona, HaMerkaz, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

it's a basic hotel, around other basic ( probably ) hotel.
Located very near to euston station.
the rooms are ok and very clean.
there is no bathroom in the room but only shared one.
the water in the bathroom wasn't so hot.
the breakfast is ok

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the end of October. I booked the single room with shared bathroom.
In reality they gave me the room with shower but because they had problems with the hot water steam (that was setting off the fire alarm) it wasn't usable and I had a separate bathroom with shower and wc (very close to my bedroom and very clean!).
The only negative surprise was to find cigarette holes and (many) body hair on my bed sheets that supposedly had been changed before my check-in.
I pointed that out and the lady at the reception went up to change them right away.
single room was on the 5th floor but that didn't bother me at all. I must say that probably the heating wasn't completely on yet and also the water pressure was a little week, but the bed was super comfortable and warm.
Simple but freshly made breakfast in the morning...and perfect location...you can walk almost anywhere!
Would definitely go back!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pisa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I enjoyed very much my stay in the hotel. It is very quite and charming. Conveniently located in the hearth of Bloomsbury, close to the British Library. In front of the hotel there is a beautiful garden. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. I liked the feeling of being in a traditional house. Breakfast is traditional, not many choice but good. Room service is very good. The staff was efficient and very nice. There is no elevator and if your room is at third floor be prepared, there is a twisting staircase. Furniture is classic; in my room I had a small fireplace (of course I didn’t set up a fire). I definitely recommend the hotel to people who want enjoy a classic english house in the hearth of one of the most romantic neighborhood of London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was our fourth visit (Sept 27 - Oct 3). We like the double ensuite rooms on the first floor (American second floor). We're getting a little old for non-ensuite.

There is at least one bath tub in the common area, for those who have trouble with the small shower.

When we were there, there was a tremendous rainstorm at night. We had to use a newspaper (the Economist) to stop the window from rattling.

They could use better lighting at the bedside tables, so that one person could read while the other wanted to sleep. When I mentioned this to my wife just now, she said " couldn't you just have removed the lampshade?" Maybe that could have worked.

We like the Crescent, and hope to return.

-- Steve

Room Tip: Any room on the first floor (American second floor) is good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crescent Hotel? Share your experiences!