“too busy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Natural History Museum

Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road | South Kensington, London SW7 5BD, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)
020-7938-9123
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Ice skating, Dining
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A center of scientific excellence in the discovery of taxonomy and biodiversity, this world-famous museum promotes the discovery and enjoyment of the natural world through such exciting exhibits as the Life and Earth Galleries, wildlife garden and geological collections.
teesside
15 attraction reviews
“too busy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

the dinosaur exhibition was great , as were the whales and the creepy crawlies. didnt get round it all as it was so full and very very hot. good value thought the shop was over priced for what they were selling, we'd already got the cheaper stuff from the Imperial War Museum shop, the day before. pleased we'd done the science museum next door first. Need to get there for opening time to make the most of it.

• Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
11 attraction reviews
“Beautiful building, boring exhibits”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After reading how much others loved this place, I'm wondering what I missed. Maybe I went to different exhibits/areas than those who loved their visit? Maybe I needed to be there with kids? Or maybe it really isn't that good.

Being a science nerd from way back, I thought my own curiosity and interest would have been enough to carry me through but it didn't. I found the exhibits so boring and unappealing I want to give this museum a 2-dot rating of "poor", but the building is so beautiful and the signage so good, I bumped it up.

The whole place seems to be stuck in the (next to) last century with their static, taxidermic exhibits offering scant information and little insight into what was on display. With each new area I visited, I kept hoping that >this one< .... whichever it was..... would be better. But there were case after case after case of stuffed and mounted animals (and/or their skeletons), with blurbs about each, making the experience near to reading a 3D encyclopedia --- visually interesting at times, but not engaging by any means.

With such tremendous and potentially fascinating material to work with, how on earth did they wring all the fun out of learning about it?

I hope most people's experience aligns with the more positive reviewers here, and that I just missed what they thought was so wonderful. The museum has a LOT on offer, from dodos to perhaps the most detailed and informative exhibition on human reproduction I've ever seen outside of a health class. I just wish they had some museum studies experts on staff to take the incredible raw material they have, liven the place up, and bring it into the 21st century -- it needs it!

Visited August 2013
“Queued for over 2 hours - not worth the wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We queued up for over 2 hours to get in and once inside we spent less than 30 minutes in there! It was simply too busy, too hot and if i'm honest boring! Entrance is free, thankfully.

worthing
31 attraction reviews
“Couldn't even get in! Start charging please!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Waiting over an hour in pouring rain is ridiculous. We have been before so know it's a great museum but very hot. However, we just couldn't get in so went to the science museum.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Very hot and busy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We visited as part of a group with 2 adults and 8 children ages 2-14 it wasn't overly buggy friendly and the cloakroom was full and couldn't take anymore! and it was extremely hot in the museum on the day we went be prepared to queue for the dinosaur gallery as it was very popular! We took picnic with us but found a small cafe with snacks in the basement but do remember its central London so prices are high £2.55 for a cup of tea!! The children enjoyed the museum though and would like to go back when it wasn't so busy