“Great hotel/Great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments

You added Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments to your Saves list
Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   116 Piccadilly, London W1J 7BJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #80 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Florida
“Great hotel/Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in September. Friendly, knowledgable staff. Everyone from the doorman on to the front desk clerk, concierge and restaurant staff made us feel welcome and at home. Our corner room was very comfortable and had a great view of the park. No problems accessing WiFi. The tea and coffee station was a nice touch. Being able to make tea in the morning was a nice way to start the day. Great location. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Athenaeum combines perfect service, ideal location and well maintained sumptuous but comfortable facilities in a way that few hotels can achieve. Starting with the helpful and delightful doormen (Jim and John) , then to the Head Porters (concierge) (Duncan and Alan, among others), then to the myriad receptionists, porters, housekeepers,waiters, etc, perfect and friendly service is routine. The rooms, particularly the apartments, are clean, comfortable and bright. The small restaurant provides good food, especially at breakfast, and does so cheerfully and with expedition. DIrectly opposite Green Park, a couple of blocks from Hyde Park and an easy and delightful walk to Harrods, Knightsbridge, the Palace, or, in the opposite direction, Picadilly Circus and the theatre district, the location is perfect. Best of all, the one and two bedroom apartments provide a home-away feeling (bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchenette) that is delightful. If one could award 6 or more stars, the Athenaeum would merit that designation. My family and I have stayed there for years and will continue to do so. Bravo.

Room Tip: Try and book one of the apartments. Costs just a bit more, but worth every penny.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed there for 5 nights on business; great staff and lovely property. Concierge services are top notch and the doormen particularly the gentlemen from Brazil was fantastic. You cannot beat this location and property was very well maintained. Wi Fi strong and reliable. Great business hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This review should be 5/5 as all aspects of our stay were great except for an unfortunate encounter with a snobby employee on Saturday, September 28th. My husband and I had made dinner reservations for 1800. We had been out all day, but returned to the hotel earlier than expected. We wanted to see if we would be able to change our resrvations from 1800 to 1730. We were standing at the foot of the stairs waiting for the people ahead of us to finish thier business. While standing there, we were approached by an employee, who in a condescending tone said "Hello." My husband said hello and the gentleman just stood there and gave us the "once over" as if we did not belong there or perhaps we lacked the ability to pay for a meal at the hotel's restaurant. We explained to him that we had reservations and wanted to see if we could change them to 1730. Again, he gave us a strange look and then said "What is your room number?" We told him that we were in room 208. He did not ask for our name at any point during this interaction. He then stated that he would have the restaurant manager call us if when the table was ready. Needless to say, the phone call never came. The more I thought about the interaction, the angrier I became. I would not have been so offended if he had approached anyone else in the lobby, but he did not do so. My husband and I were singled out, and I can only assume that he thought we could not pay for our meal, or prehaps we did not fit the image the usual hotel guests. I should have told him that my ballgown is at the cleaners and I have misplaced my tiara, and that my Bentley has a flat tire. Perhaps then he would have been less condescending toward us. We decided to eat elsewhere. On our way out, we stopped to see if our reservations had been changed (they had not been changed) and the employee that we spoke with this time had no idea what we were talking about. I am livid at the point and asked to speak with a supervisor. I spoke with Serena (guest services manager) and explained the situation to her. I asked if it was common practice to have the restaurant manager call when a table is ready and she said it was not. She said that she would have to investigate further. I am so incredibly offended over this issue. We stayed at this very hotel for a week last year and retrned again this year. A third visit is very doubtful. There are many hotels in Mayfair and I can certainly afford to stay at any one I choose, so to be treated as if I am some vagrant off the street is unaccepatable to me. I will spend my vacation next year at another hotel. I will not patronize any establishment where I do not feel welcome. It's a shame, because we had a lovely room and all of the employees except one were warm and welcoming except this particular gentleman.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AthenaeumHotelLondon, Manager at Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Sandy F,
Thank you for returning to the athenaeum and for taking the time to share your comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience with the exception of the restaurant.
I am grateful that you have brought this to my attention as it is certainly not the usual standard that we deliver and as a valued returning guest, I am sure that you will agree from your previous stay that this was an isolated occurrence and most likely not the intention of the individual.
I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you in a bit more detail and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,
Wayne Kerrin
Assistant to General Manager
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed in The Athenaeum in August.
It's a fantastic 5 star hotel but without all the pretentious staff and guests.
Breakfast was superb with every choice you would expect and excellent service with personable staff.
Reception is exceptionally friendly.
The rooms are really comfortable.We stayed in a superior double and the bathrooms are amazing in the style of art deco with mirrors everywhere.
Great location on Piccadilly and with a 24 hour bar service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
UAE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The location is great for my meetings. Breakfast I really enjoyed with some very professional staff. I have stayed in the main hotel and the apartments. If you want space go for the apartment. Lots of goodies are provided which are nice touches. Maybe could do with another restaurant but you are so close to loads of other restaurants is not really an issue.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I booked a stay at The Anthenaeum as a surprise for my husbands birthday and it was an amazing experience as soon as we walked through the door.

We were greeted by friendly staff and told we had been given an upgrade to a park view room, the facilities in room were superb. We had a nespresso coffee machine, complimentary soft drinks and nibbles as well as the usual mini bar assortment. My husband also received a bottle of Tattinger champagne and a beautiful little cake and candle in celebration of his special day.

We sampled the whiskey bar which is a must for any whiskey lover or if you enjoy your cocktails. The staff are helpful, friendly and very knowledgable of what they're serving. The next day we also had a small taste of their exquisite tea room. Unfortunately we didn't get to try afternoon tea (as much as we would've liked to..) but the tea we did sample was delicious, they have pure blends and are happy to mix to taste, I can highly recommend their peach blend :)

The Athenaeum also has a spa and fitness facility which we will definitely be trying next time, and believe me there will be a next time.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, the reception staff, in particular Angela, are wonderful and made our stay one of nicest we've had in a long time..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!