Children were left with grandparents and we went into town for a night away and meal at Benares (see other review). We've stayed at The Athenaeum before and can thoroughly recommend it as a wonderful 5 star Central London hotel, perfectly placed opposite Green Park with a small but very nice spa.
Service is very good generally but we were let down by being put into a tiny initial room (814) with what looked like a single bed. I called up to complain and was told by a male voice that it was a "Superior Single"...when I reminded him that we were a couple, and the check in girl had greeted us both and given us two keys, he put me on hold. A supervisor came back on to try to assure me that it was in fact a double room (!) but with a little more argument, they agreed to move us.
We ended up just two doors down at 816, a nice double room with a good bed and far more space. After this initial blip, we had a wonderful time and the duty manager checked in with us and sent up a generous gift to apologise for the mix up.
The bed is extremely comfortable, the hotel is very quiet throughout the night, and they have the very welcome touch that all soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar are free.
The spa is well worth a visit. Although small, it's got a good sauna, fantastic steam room and two very nice wooden jacuzzis, in addition to a comfy rest area and spotless changing rooms.
I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel, providing you get the right room first time.
- Also Known As:
- Athenaeum Hotel And Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments London, England
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- **Free Wi-fi / Free mini bar soft drinks & snacks / Kids eat free when dining with an adult **The Athenaeum is the luxury London hotel with a big personality. Ideally located in Mayfair, overlooking leafy Green Park - it’s just a stroll away from Buckingham Palace, the West End and the capital's best shops. A selection of stunning rooms, suites and luxurious, homely apartments make The Athenaeum the perfect choice for families and business travellers alike. In-room facilities include complimentary soft drinks and snacks from the minibar, free Wi-Fi, Bose docking stations and flat screen TVs. Kids eat free when dining with adults. Don’t miss the award-winning afternoon tea, beautiful restaurant, cosy Whisky Bar and charming boutique spa. It is your home from home in London. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Occupancy Marketing, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Splendia, Agoda, Priceline, Tingo, LondonMarketing.com, Otel, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Amex and Venere so you can book your Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.