Having stayed at the Athenaeum on 6 or 7 previous occasions I often wonder if it will be as good on my return. As soon as our taxi drew up Jim the doorman was there to take the cases with the usual "Welcome Home". Whilst the phrase may be almost akin to a company logo, both Jim and John (the other doorman) are always on hand for advise and a bit of friendly banter.
Check in was seemless despite our room not being ready, another was found. Having booked via Lastminute.com's Top Secret hotels we certainly weren't expecting a park view room. As always, everything was spotlessly clean and well presented. The free mini bar is a welcome change, although as a previous reviewer mentioned it was not restocked during our stay which was a little disappointing and took the edge off the feeling of "great customer service" that the initial inclusion gave!
The bar area is quiet and quaint with Mayfair bar prices to challenge the logic of a late night Baileys Irish Cream. Service, again was pleasant and efficient.
I find it hard to fault the Athenaeum....Good points... location doesn't get much better, staff rarely get much better, prices in the bar are par for the course. Rooms are always clean and having stayed in many different areas of the hotel over the last years, whilst they aren't huge, they are certainly larger than some London hotels.
Bad points......Replenishment of mini bar...simple and not too costly for a hotel of this calibre to put right..surely. Oh the chair at the writing desk...the legs/feet of the chair stick out to the point of me banging my toes on it....that may say more about me than the hotel though! Tariff wise, I'd very much like to stay here everytime i'm in London. My friends jokingly refer to the Athenaeum as my London home, however, like many aspects of the travel industry, prices vary by significant amounts depending on when you book, who through etc etc. I can never quite understand why a hotel would not want to ensure that its loyal customers were given the best deal!
All in all, for me, its still 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- **Free Wi-fi / Free mini bar soft drinks & snacks / Kids eat free when dining with an adult **The Athenaeum is the luxury London hotel with a big personality. Ideally located in Mayfair, overlooking leafy Green Park - it’s just a stroll away from Buckingham Palace, the West End and the capital's best shops. A selection of stunning rooms, suites and luxurious, homely apartments make The Athenaeum the perfect choice for families and business travellers alike. In-room facilities include complimentary soft drinks and snacks from the minibar, free Wi-Fi, Bose docking stations and flat screen TVs. Kids eat free when dining with adults. Don’t miss the award-winning afternoon tea, beautiful restaurant, cosy Whisky Bar and charming boutique spa. It is your home from home in London. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Splendia, LondonMarketing.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athenaeum Hotel And Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments London, England