“My Favourite London Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #91 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sunderland
“My Favourite London Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Having stayed at the Athenaeum on 6 or 7 previous occasions I often wonder if it will be as good on my return. As soon as our taxi drew up Jim the doorman was there to take the cases with the usual "Welcome Home". Whilst the phrase may be almost akin to a company logo, both Jim and John (the other doorman) are always on hand for advise and a bit of friendly banter.

Check in was seemless despite our room not being ready, another was found. Having booked via Lastminute.com's Top Secret hotels we certainly weren't expecting a park view room. As always, everything was spotlessly clean and well presented. The free mini bar is a welcome change, although as a previous reviewer mentioned it was not restocked during our stay which was a little disappointing and took the edge off the feeling of "great customer service" that the initial inclusion gave!

The bar area is quiet and quaint with Mayfair bar prices to challenge the logic of a late night Baileys Irish Cream. Service, again was pleasant and efficient.

I find it hard to fault the Athenaeum....Good points... location doesn't get much better, staff rarely get much better, prices in the bar are par for the course. Rooms are always clean and having stayed in many different areas of the hotel over the last years, whilst they aren't huge, they are certainly larger than some London hotels.

Bad points......Replenishment of mini bar...simple and not too costly for a hotel of this calibre to put right..surely. Oh the chair at the writing desk...the legs/feet of the chair stick out to the point of me banging my toes on it....that may say more about me than the hotel though! Tariff wise, I'd very much like to stay here everytime i'm in London. My friends jokingly refer to the Athenaeum as my London home, however, like many aspects of the travel industry, prices vary by significant amounts depending on when you book, who through etc etc. I can never quite understand why a hotel would not want to ensure that its loyal customers were given the best deal!

All in all, for me, its still 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
AthenaeumHotelLondon, General Manager at Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Mr Lonsdale
Thank you for posting your positive review about "Your London Home". I will be sure to give the team your feedback and especially Jim and John who you mention. Do call us if you can't see a best rate and as we always aim to offer parity but at the same time can let you know which dates are quieter than others.
Really good points regarding the chairs and they are planned to be replaced as part of the continuing improvements. The free mini bar is a great offering and apologies if we did not restock it daily as we should have.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best Regards
Simon Wakefield, General Manager - athenaeum hotel and apartments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I have to be fair.........this was a good experience but for the price......the room should be better.

The location is so convenient that it makes the experience......Green Park on the doorstep!

Service was great and attention to detail taken as standard.....The staff are a credit to the Hotel.

The room should be more spacious for the money that this life.

Recommended and we will return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear WilliamB
Thank you for your positive review and kind words about the team.
Do let me know when your next planning to return so that we can make sure that the room size you get really does match your expectations.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have to confess I put a lot of thought to rate Athenaeum, because I really don't want to be unfair. I stayed in four hotels earlier in London and stay at the Athenaeum was the most appreciated. The room was spacious and comfortable, the hotel has much more charm than a chain hotel and the whisky bar is delightful. The location is excellent.
But the problem is what to expect when a hotel is advertised as being "luxury 5 star" as Athenaeum does (and charges accordingly).
It's a very good hotel, but it has some flaws. The headboard consists of multiple pads and one large piece was missing, exposing its structure. It is true the minibar is included in the room price, but they don't replace the products as they should - every day something was not there. First Nespresso capsules, then milk, then water (!!!)... The walls are paper thin, as mentioned before. There was even a hole in the bed sheet!

I would stay there again, but only if I will be able to get the Run of House rate, which is less expensive. For the regular rate (around 240 pounds) I would prefer to consider other options.

Side note: As I style my hair and do makeup every single morning, I always complain about the mirror sizes or where they are placed in hotel rooms. Well, this is not a problem at the Athenaeum, since several room walls are completely covered with mirrors. But as the days went by I found myself thinking more about exercise and plastic surgery than I usually think, because no matter the place or the angle at which you sit, there is always a mirror in the room to expose your flaws. Damn mirrors!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear br��silienne.
Thank you for your review and honest feedback. You have highlighted some very valid points.
Yes the free mini bar is great and we need to make sure we restock this daily as expected. I will check with the team the room you stayed in to make sure we have found the head board you mention and get it put right along with the other housekeeping points.

Do let me know if your planning to visit again as we do aim to offer rate parity and can always let you know the busier and quieter nights.
Best Regards

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

VIsited with family over Christmas.
Hotel is well located, staff is very friendly, hotel is well kept, nicely cleaned and service is very good.
Nothing is excelled in the hotel, but without any extra luxury, hotel suffices well in all services, food and room.
Rooms are a bit small and the children's play room is a bit under equipped, but my kids enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: get higher rooms and view to green park must be beautiful
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear fmattar
Thank you for writing a positive review and making some great points for us to action.
Apologies if the room was not as you and your family expected. I have just signed off on more toys, games and other childrens toys so they will be there soon. Hope the family took advantage of the "kids eat free". Do let me know when your next planning a visit your london home, so we can make the stay that bit better.
Simon Wakefield, General Maanger
Neil Hemming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Currently staying at this hotel for duration of 9 nights. This is by far the best hotel i have stayed in London and possibly one of the best ever. The rooms are fabulous, everything that could be done to help you have a great stay is thought about and most definatley will out weigh your expectation. Absolute luxury delivered to a high standard, if they could have six stars they would. Free snacks and even bicycles for ride in the parks. Who thinks of that?

The staff are an added gem in this hotel and as stated before the doorman are great. I could go on and on about this place but I won't. Just book it as it is worth every single penny. I will definatley make this my London choice from now on.

If I was going to be a little critical I would say the room service food is not that great. It's at the very top end price wise and was disappointed with the food. Just eat out you only few minutes from lovely eateries.

Treat yourself and stay here you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Spellar
Thank you for your Fantastic review.
Happy for you to order other dishes in room service if you prefer.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I spent a week in Dec 2011 in the Athenaeum - overall, I really enjoyed it.

I was given an upgrade to a large room with park view. The room was spacious yet cozy, with all creature comforts. I loved the free minibar and the Nespresso machine in the room. The interior design is nice, with a somewhat more individual touch than the big international chains. It can't really be called a design hotel, but it has a boutique-y flair to it.

I went there for business - the location is beautiful (Mayfair), and it's located close to all the great shopping spots.

However, I did experience some service problems while I was there. The bathroom was FREEZING cold because the towel heater didn't work (and it was close to 0 degrees outside). I told the reception on my second day - but nothing happened. The next day, I called during the day to let the reception know again. And again, I did not hear back from them... no note, no calling back, and of course the actual problem wasn't fixed either. So, although the service staff is friendly and superficially helpful, when I actually encountered a problem, they didn't live up to my expectations.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights in a park view room and were really impressed with the overall experience. We have never experienced such a warm and friendly service in our previous stays in London and it is a credit to the hotel that each and every member of staff makes an effort to make you feel welcome. The doormen do get a special mention and when they say to you "welcome home" after returning in a taxi it really does affirm what a lovely hotel this is. The room was really well appointed, the temperature control was the best I have experienced. The free soft drinks are a nice touch. My only slight complaint is that the pay per view films are all old and the tv channels not hd. I only mention this as the attention to detail is such throughout the hotel that these details could make it perfect. We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent value though the drinks a little pricey. We had a cocktail in the bar and both found them too strong for our tastes. Next time we stay in London we will be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!