“Fantastic stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz London

You added The Ritz London to your Saves list
The Ritz London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Piccadilly, London W1J 9BR, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 10%
Ranked #29 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

What a wonderful place, luxury at its best. We were made to feel very special as the staff were very attentive. The rooms were a good size and very comfortable, and the bathroom was luxurious. We had afternoon tea which was just a delight, high tea at its best. The scones were light as a feather, the best I have ever tasted. We asked for more and we were given 2 extra each. One tip I can give is if you do not like strawberry jam just ask the waiter and they will bring you some different flavours. We will definitely come back for afternoon tea, well worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the top floor as you get a great view of London.,
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you have passed on your recommendation regarding the jam!! Within reason, many alternatives to what is normally on offer at The Ritz are available on request. It is always worth asking! I hope you will enjoy your next visit just as much as this past one. SB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Maybe I'd set my expectations too high, I've wanted to stay here for as long as I can remember. So in retrospect I'm not sure what I was expecting because obviously the bedrooms can't have the 'wow' factor of the public areas. So yes it was very nice, felt luxurious but not overly so. We had been upgraded which was very good of them so not sure what the standard rooms are like because this was just a 'very nice room'. The view was appalling but someone has to look over the back so I accept that. Lovely bathroom in keeping with the age and ambience of the hotel.
When I checked in they asked what time we would like the turndown service in the evenings, that was a nice touch. Why then did the second night they completely ignore my "after 8pm so we will have gone out" and turn up at 6pm? We had just got in and it wasn't convenient at that time. She didn't offer to come back later.
I had booked a twin room for two people, I arrived first and went out leaving the key at reception. I texted my companion to tell her the room number in case she arrived before I returned. She did but was refused access to the room on the grounds that I hadn't left instructions to give the key to any one else. Yet they knew I'd booked for two people and she knew the room number we had been assigned. They were neither apologetic nor proactive (they had my mobile number, they could had called and asked me). They didn't try to make my friend comfortable, offer her a drink or even show her to a seat to wait. I thought part of the reason one pays over £300pn room only, is for the service!
The final niggle was that there were no tea and coffee facilities in the room. Ive stayed in 6 star hotels and 0 star hotels and they always have this. What can be the reason behind this? Surely not because the Ritz needs the £6 per cup (plus £5 room service charge) that it costs through room service. I'd be interested to know why it's not provided if the manager reads this.
In summary I think that if you stay here you are paying for position and reputation and that's the reason the price is high.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
What a shame! I am so sorry that your stay was less than perfect and I am really rather disappointed for you. It never gives me any pleasure to learn that a guest has left less than delighted with the service they receive at The Ritz and it is a pity that you did not vocalise your concerns during your stay, as the points you raise could have been addressed at the time. I would very much like to hear from you should you come back to the hotel, so that I can make some special arrangements for you. SB
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Such lovely surroundings. The sandwich selection was good, the sandwiches were fresh and the service was faultless! An absolutely delightful afternoon. If you want to try something different, just be sure to avoid Sanderson "Mad Hatters Tea Party".

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband booked the Ritz for my sister and I so we could celebrate her Birthday in style ...
The welcoming was fantastic, we felt special and at ease. Being French, a French spoken gentleman stepped in straight away for the check in.The building is beautiful, the rooms spacious and distinctively decorated with class and elegance. We were a bit disappointed by the bathroom size in comparison with the vast bedroom. A detail.
After we were showed our room, the room service brought us a beautiful table with birthday cake, fresh fruits and Champagne... It was fabulous! We used the room service at dinner time . The food and the service was irreproachable. We both slept like babies in our extremely comfortable beds.
Breakfast was delightful. The restaurant was to us the soul of the establishment: sophisticated, calm, inviting, delicate, elegant.. Everything was perfect to our eyes. The slight disappointment came in the afternoon when we had the famous afternoon tea. The Palm Court is a gorgeous room. However we didn't enjoy being crammed in what was more like a noisy hens house than an elegant environment. The place is so full that you can't barely enjoy the piano or have a conversation without rising your voice. The cakes are Devine, the service is good and courteous.
The sandwiches have nothing exceptional or different. The tea menu is quite impressive.
To my opinion, the Ritz experience is fantastic. I wouldn't recommend the afternoon tea as this doesn't reflect the true soul of the place .

Room Tip: Book over the phone , you ll have the best advice and price.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and had so many positive moments to relay in your feedback. It is clear that Palm Court was not the most treasured memory of your stay so you might wish to try lunch in the Restaurant should you return in the future. Our three course 'du jour' lunch represents amazing value at £49.00 per person. Thank you in the meantime for taking the time to describe your stay at The Ritz London. SB
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had sunday lunch and it was very good. The service was superlative, the food was excellent and the dining room is very elegant.
Just be prepared for the drinks prices. A gin and tonic in the Rivoli Bar was £19 and most of the wines are priced between £50 and £100 for a bottle, although you can have a 175ml glass of house wine for £15.
We really enjoyed it but I think it is overpriced.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was lucky enough to go to The Ritz for my birthday dinner. I went with my boyfriend and we both had the 3 courses for £49 offer. The wine is not cheap, the cheapest bottle being £55 but as it was a special occasion this did not matter to us. From the second we arrived everything was flawless. The inside is so grand and opulent it really takes your breath away. The dining room makes you feel like you could be on board The Titanic. The food was delicious and of a remarkable high quality (that you would expect), we also had 2 extra 'courses' amuse-bouche and petite-fours. Not a single complaint regarding the food, experience or the service. I am really looking forward to my return visit! It was a really special experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have been lucky enough to have stayed at this lovely hotel twice in the last couple of months. Normally staying in the Belgravia area we switched to Piccadilly and the Ritz because we weren't quite satisfied with where we were staying… We thought we'd give the Ritz a try as it was comparative in exclusivtivity and price etc., and how very lovely we found it. In the past our favourite hotel in the world was The Oriental in Bangkok, we loved that for all the reasons it consistently won the best hotel in the world, our stay at the Ritz was absolutely reminiscent of those fabulous bygone days… with it's devine Romantic French decoration throughout, it's amazing staff who somehow remembered your name every time they saw you, and who served you above and beyond the call of duty. As we walked the lovely aisles that led us through the different areas and into the most beautiful dining room where we had the most amazing food, wines and service. we couldn't help but fall in love with this hotel, and one doesn't actually care what the view is out of the windows, although our second room looked out over London's Green Park. It's location is perfect too for good shopping, the National Gallery, etc., and just a short taxi ride to almost anywhere in central London. We just loved this hotel and our recent stays so much that we have already booked for us, and our friends, to celebrate this New Years eve at The Ritz, how very lovely, I can't wait!

Room Tip: We had rooms at the front on the street, and the Green Park side of the hotel and found them all lov...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for this very gracious review, it is most heartening to read of your pleasure with what we offer here at The Ritz. I am obviously delighted that you have booked in for New Year and I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed. We have already started planning the Christmas decorations and they promise to be a sight for sore eyes! I hope you will have an amazing time when it comes around. SB

Been to The Ritz London? Share your experiences!