We have just returned from a weekend in London and we stayed at the Thistle Hyde Park. Location wise it was great as we were attending the BBC Proms at the Royal Albert Hall so we had to walk just 2 minutes across Hyde Park to get there. The weather was good enough for us to be able to walk into the centre of London which isn't a awfully long walk but some may find it a little long i suppose. The hotel is wonderfully furnished and is so elegant in it's presentation and look. We loved it the moment we stepped inside. We were informed upon arrival that they would have to upgrade us to a suite which we were delighted about. The room was on the top floor and was very big and again, wonderfully decorated. We had a massive LCD TV in comparison to others we have had in other London hotels. The weekend was very hot in London (around 30 degrees) and this did make getting around a little tiring. Unfortunately as the hotel does not have air conditioning we were absolutely boiling over night. The room had two fans in it but neither did much to cool down the room and one was broken and was pumping out hot air at the back which added to the heat. We visited reception to ask about air conditioning and this was when we were told that the hotel didn't have any and the man on reception said that there was nothing he could do. We had a very uncomfortable nights sleep which wasn't pleasant. I feel the hotel really should invest in air conditioning, it really is expected in a 4 star hotel. Breakfast the next morning was probably the best i've had in London for a long time so that was a real plus. When checking out the woman on receptionw as surprised to hear the man from the night before had not even offered us another fan or to rectify the one which was faulty and said she would get the manager to contact us regarding a special offer for our next stay. We felt this was very good and left the hotel satisfied that we would possibly come again and take advantage of any offer in autumn. A few days after returning home we were contacted by the manager and told we could not have any offer or upgrade. I was disappointed in this as i feel the hotel should have acknowledged that they are a 4* hotel without air conditioning which is ridiculous and the fans were not much use. I would recommend this hotel in cooler periods of the year when the air con situation will not be a problem. Overall - a pleasant stay in nice surroundings but marred by a flaw in the hotel's services.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Thistle Hyde Park dates from Victorian times, with a cosy, relaxed atmosphere reminiscent of a Pall Mall private-member’s club. A refined, intimate building, it is a comfortable base from which to enjoy the nearby West End, Oxford Street and Mayfair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, LondonMarketing.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Thistle Hyde Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thistle Hyde Park London, England
- Thistle Hyde Park Hotel London