“Not worth the money - should have three stars instead of fours” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Hyde Park

You added Thistle Hyde Park to your Saves list
Thistle Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   90-92 Lancaster Gate, London W2 3NR, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #285 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Not worth the money - should have three stars instead of fours”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is definately not worth the price they are charging. I spent three days in London in a group of five in two junior suits in November. The heating in the hotel was not working and the rooms were very cold during the night. In one room the toilet flush did not work with obvious consequences (you can immagine!). Their excuse was that the hotel is in a very old building, but common the paint was coming of the walls in the room due to humidity. They should then lower the stars and charge less. I chose a four star hotel to avoid these problems, since also travelling with my mother who is 65 years old and wants to stay comfortably. The only positive thing about the hotel is the location and the friendly staff, but still not worth the money......

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent stay at Thistle Hyde Park. Whilst the age of the building is not an excuse, a contributing factor is that sometimes things happen in a hotel, of any star rating, that is beyond our control - in this case our boilers went off line resulting in a short term loss of heating. I am sincerely sorry that this affected your enjoyment of the hotel and would like to discuss this with you personally, should you wish to contact me directly. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the service provided and the location of the hotel, positives that will be fed back to the team, thank you.

Andrew Byrne | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location only short walk to the underground or bus station and taxis always going up and down the road. We stayed for 3nights, the welcome was fine and the reception area was lovely, the rooms were immaculate and very tasteful. Bathroom was super clean too. Breakfast was lovely, although the tea was very weak and when asking for some more butter as there was 4 of us and only 4 very small packets we were given 2 more when we had 2 full racks of toast in front of us; the service were very polite but lacked common sense or experience. Again the bar area was nice and the service was excellent. We decided to have room service one night about 11pm as we hadn't eaten, there was little choice but decided on roast beef sandwich, they called later to say they'd ran out of beef, it took half an hour to make 2 ham sandwiches, on the menu they said it would be served with crisps, there were ok crisps. Also there was no suggestions box or survey to complete on check out day which I felt was poor because it was an excellent stay but we had paid over £1000 for 2 rooms for 3nights, i felt a little let down value wise with regards to level of service. Rooms were excellent though, I would stay again as I know I'm guaranteed a nice comfortable stay with a hearty breakfast to set you up for a busy day in London.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your detailed review following your recent stay at Thistle Hyde Park. We pride ourselves on the service levels offered to our guests and I am sorry that you felt this was not to our usual high standards. We have recently changed how we collect guest feedback, this is done via email, which you should have received the day after you checked out - assuming you left your details with us. Your feedback has been shared with the team, and I am pleased to note that you would happily choose to stay again at Thistle Hyde Park - we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Helpful staff but very tired building, the restaurant service was very very slow, and the menu left a lot to be desired. The rooms were adequate but not impressive, also due to the lack of secondary glazing the room was draughty with a lot of noise from the street and certainly not comparable to other hotels in this price bracket. The only pozitives were the on site parking & the location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of Thistle Hyde Park. I am disappointed that you did not completely enjoy your stay - we are continually making improvements to the hotel and will soon launch a new menu into all areas of the business. Thanks again for your review, I hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the future.

Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was curious to try the Thistle brand; I periodically go to London and this time I decided to leave the already known Guoman hotels in favor of this hotel. Well, this has been a big mistake. The hotel is quite old (the photos on the website are misleading), and you can find signs of it also in the rooms. I have to admit that the room was large and clean, but with many flaws. The furniture is old and there was a noisy air conditioner which was very disappointing during the night. The plaster of the walls was peeling off and there was some mold in the corners. There was no frigo bar nor complimentary water in the rom, which is something you typically find in hotels of the same category and cost. Also the wi-fi was not complimentary. The toilet was a problem: the water closet did not work at all, so it was nearly unusable. But the worst thing has been a problem with my booking: following a crash in the browser during the online booking, I ha the nasty surprise to have a double booking: I received only one confirmation but when's I arrived at the hotel I discovered that I had been charged twice for two booked rooms. Apart from the fact that during the booking the offer did not imply in advance payment, I was charged twice on my credit card... And I had to wait an entire week to get my money refunded (for 5 nights of stay) since the account manager was in holiday. And I had to pay also the Fx Bid/ask due to the fact that I come from Italy so I paid the difference in EUR/GBP when changing EUR to GBP and then back again for the refund (it costed me nearly 32€). The best thing regarding this hotel is the position: it is actually on Hyde park and even if it is quite far from the center, it is very week served by buses and tube, and only 5 minutes walk from the paddington train station. Anyway I would not suggest this hotel at anybody.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your detailed review of Thistle Hyde Park. I was disappointed to read your comments and the experiences you had, for which I am sincerely sorry. I would be delighted if you would contact me directly at the hotel to allow me the opportunity to look into your experiences in more detail. I hope to hear from you soon in order to discuss this further.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our daughter and I booked to stay here in October. I thought the welcoming email shortly before our stay was a thoughtful touch to ensure we would have everything we needed during our stay. On arrival we were greeted by Jo-Jo. If management are reading this I'd like to say Jo-Jo was an absolute star and a real asset to the hotel. She was friendly, welcoming and extremely professional ensuring we had the perfect room for our needs with an amazing view over Hyde Park. She even went outside to hail a taxi for us when we mentioned we were going shopping.

The large room was spotlessly clean, very comfortable and had no corridor noise. It was terribly hot though, even with the thermostat and fan on the coolest setting. Breakfast was delicious with both a cold buffet and hot food to order. Service was fast and efficient.

The location of the hotel makes it convenient for taxis, buses, the underground and walking with Oxford Street being a short stroll away and Harrods the other side of Hyde Park. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking Hyde Park do have traffic noise with the windows open
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay of Thistle Hyde Park and in particular highlighting the service you received from Jo-Jo. This has of course been shared and I know she is delighted to receive such recognition. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can continue to offer fantastic service when you choose to come back to the hotel on future visits to London. Thanks again for your review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel was closed due to power failure but were swiftly moved down the road with a free upgrade couldn't of been handled any better or been done any smoother the staff were a credit to the hotel will hopefully get a chance to visit this hotel next year as it looked very nice

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review and your kind words on how you felt we dealt well with what proved to be a very challenging situation, caused by external road works outside of the control of our hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our sister hotel, Thistle Kensington Gardens, located just 300 yards away. Hopefully in the not too distant future we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Thistle Hyde Park under better circumstances.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

A Very nice hotel. The room was not huge but it was very nicely decorated and very cosy and homely. Great location for whatever you decide to do. We ended up using the buses more than the tube as the services were very good and frequent. We didn't take the breakfast as we found much better value alternatives in small cafes nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay - I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the location and services offered at Thistle Hyde Park. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Andrew Byrne | General Manager

Been to Thistle Hyde Park? Share your experiences!