“World Class Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stafford London

You added The Stafford London to your Saves list
The Stafford London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16-18 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NJ, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Ranked #83 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Washington, D.C.
“World Class Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

The Stafford is a wonderful hotel, brimming with style and charm. The location is ideal: on a very quiet side street just a couple of minutes' walk from bustling Piccadily, not far from Buckingham Palace. The standard rooms are elegant and functional, with comfortable beds and luxurious furnishings. Service is superlative -- every member of the staff I encountered was exceedingly friendly, helpful and professional, and they really went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect. The food was excellent, and room service was always prompt. Overall, one of the best hotels at which I have ever stayed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, October 5, 2009
Thank you for your kind comments about The Stafford. My team look forward to welcoming you 'home' and appreciated your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
bethesda, maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

The rooms here are decorated so beautifully and individually. Real style. No fru-fru and not that antiseptic contemporary style in so many gutted old British hotels. Service was amazing. Location is just perfect. St. James's, near Buckingham, Westminter Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms. Beautiful St. James's Park down the street. Green Park tube stop right there. Hotel breakfast, though not included, is an amazing value. Best we had in Britain, including many hotels.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Our family of 3 stayed at the Stafford for 7 nights during the last week of August. I picked it over the Four Seasons Canary Wharf due to its great reviews and excellent location despite a much higher rate. The pre-paid non-refundable rate for a suite that accommodates my family of 3 at the Stafford was double that of the Four Seasons.
The location of the hotel is indeed perfect, located in a quite back street in the very posh St James areas. Minutes to tube, theatre, shopping, parks and Her Majesty's residence.

It has been many years since I visited London for pleasure and I came mentally prepared that things are expensive, compared to Asia where we live and also to
the US. Still, at 500 pounds a night I think it compares poorly with the Dar Al
Masyaf Jumerirah Dubai where we vacationed earlier this year (similarly priced),
not to mention Asian hotels such as the Mandarin Oriental, Aman resorts or Bayan Trees. There is nothing wrong with the hotel. The room is of a reasonable size so
that the three of us can move around without bumping into each other. I even
enjoyed the period features such as the wooden floor (instead of marble) in
the toilet and the fact that our room door doesn't open properly because it
was converted from a stable. What is lacking is warm of service. Perhaps
they were trying to emulate the feeling of service by a proper English butler.
Only the youngest employees ever wore a smile (such as the young American
lady at reception and the very green waiters in the dining room) and I dare
say 7 days is a proper observation period. Compared to the Paris hotel
where we stayed also for a week, it was miles apart but then it was rated
No. 1 in Paris by Trip Advisor.

My wife's only real complain about the hotel is the lack of an in room electric kettle
for making tea/coffee. To charge people another 5 pound for a cup of tea
in such an upmarket hotel is kind of parsimonious.

I would not go back nor would I recommend it to a friend. As I said there
is nothing wrong with the hotel, just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

It was a pure delight to stay here. I had read all of the glowing reviews of the Stafford Hotel prior to booking a stay here, and our time at the Stafford exceeded my expectations in every way. This is an extremely well managed and well run proper British hotel. It's elegant and comfortable at the same time and the entire staff makes you feel right at home from the minute you walk in the door until the time you leave. From reception to the concierge desk, the bellmen and the nice people who work in the restaurant, I felt very welcome here. The central location gives you quick access to the best that London has to offer. Being adjacent to Green Park keeps things quiet at night but it's a short walk to Buckingham Palace, Picadilly, etc. (Be sure you know about the pedestrian walk-through shortcut tunnel which will save you a lot of time!) Underground stations are quite close, too and there are a number of quite nice restaurants nearby within a five minute walk. We had two connecting rooms, #216 and #217. While the rooms were certainly nice, they seemed a little "crowded". Maybe one less piece of furniture would help open things up a bit to make it easier to get to the windows or walk around the room. My only "complaint" (and it's not much of an issue) is with the decor. The older part of the hotel seems a little matronly for my taste. I think I would have preferred the updated style and modern furnishings of a Mews unit. Perhaps next time. While the bathroom of #216 seemed to be more contemporary, the one in #217 seemed older, cramped and the shower/tub was a little awkward climbing in and out of. We ate continental breakfasts each of the five mornings we were there, and they were superb. The staff was so attentive that we felt like we were the Royal Family and being treated accordingly. We didn't eat any dinners in the restaurant at all, but enjoyed a casual meal in the American Bar. A tip of the cap to Yannick, an excellent barman who makes a wonderful Pimms Cup! Ask for a tour of the wine cellar, which has some amazing bottles and also features some very interesting World War Two memorabilia. (Apparently, it was used as a shelter during the bombings.) I did, however, find the caps hanging from the ceiling of the American Bar to be a bit gimmicky, preferring instead to study the framed historic objects on the wall and ignoring the caps that previous guests had left behind. And why is there an Oakland Raiders helmet jutting out from the wall? Strange. All in all though this is a terrific place. I looked forward to arriving and hated leaving. I hope to return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

You should always get an immediate feeling you are staying somewhere that is delivering a service at the top end of their game.. An attentive doorman, hall staff standing almost to attention giving the feeling of presence, well dressed, well spoken reception teams. This place has it all. In spades. Immediately calming from the moment you step through the door, leaving the frenetic hustle of London and St James St behind you.
No chinzy, mass produced vases and furniture in this lobby, all antiques and originals. My room was smaller than the major chains that sprawl around Picadilly, but as we all know size means nothing, it's the attention to design and detail that makes the mark. And that eye for detail is superb. Again, original art, decorative crematics and furniture, a BOSE audio system, branded wooden coathangers.
A full marble bathroom of a refined opulence that you could almost imagine the floors below the building straining under the weight of, dressed with fine accessories from Floris. Abundance of fluffy white towels, and even a night light under the sink.
The room had a large fridge stocked with complementary mineral water, and so rare in many hotels, genuinely plenty of space for your own purchases.
The food was excellent on both nights I ate there, my corporate budget did't quite justify the £60 necessary for the two courses and wine in the main restaurant, however the very welcoming yet exclsuisve feeling public bar delivered some cooking with flair.
I used to wondwer what a £20 'burger would taste like (paying towards the rates perhaps) however I was suprised to find that the £19 Stafford Burger was actually good value for money considering the quality of the meat and accompaniments). The pan fried calves liver was a homely and perfect as if cooked by my great Aunt with no other covers to cater for.
Improvements? Now we are talking minor niggles. An i-Pod dock on the BOSE system, and a DVD player would be welcomed. And even sometimes the most well heeled traveller would prefer a kettle in the room rather than have to order room service. I'm sure that The Staffordf would make it either unitrusive or perfectly formed.
Apart from that, what a brilliant hotel. The owner should be proud of their team's achievements. I only fear that I will never be able to afford a stay here unlewss it's picked up by the corporate tab. Never mind.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Luanda, Angola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

A trip to London normally means business and a multi-national corporate hotel. This time the trip was personal (Royal Opera House and shopping) so I decided to treat myself to something different.

From beginning to end, my stay at the Stafford was first class. The staff (especially the conceirge and in the American Bar) were by far the most polite and courteous I have ever experienced in a hotel and in London. The room, although slightly small, was ideal for me as a single traveller; quiet and cool it was lovely to come back to after a night at the opera. The bed was very comfortable and there was plenty of storage space (and hangers).

The location is ideal, only five minutes walk into the centre of London with Green Park tube station very close by. And if you need a taxi, the porters will go out to the main street to fetch one for you... even in the pouring rain!

The complimentary newspaper was also available at the weekend (how many hotels do this!). Breakfast was probably the best I have had in a hotel and had great selection available.

On checkout, I discovered that there had been a communication problem between my travel agent and the hotel regarding extras included in my booking (complimentary breakfast and a credit for food in the restaurant/bar) which resulted in a higher than expected final statement. On production of my booking confirmation sheet, the hotel agreed to honour what I had expected to pay for, which meant that they lost out financially. It wasn't a large amount of money but I wouldn't expect many hotels (especially in London) to agree so readily to do this!

Would I return to the Stafford? Most definitely.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Spent 10 nights at the Stafford in July 09.
Very quiet and relaxed hotel, yet in the heart of London, with access to all of the capital, via Green Park tube. Though we walked everywhere. Visited Borough Market, Canary Wharf and all the usual sights.
When you come back to the hotel, it is with a sense of delight, that you will get peace to enjoy the rest of the evening. Free Wifi and good TV channels, all of Sky Sports channels plus the business channels. Read or sleep - all possible with peace.
What did we not like? Really there was nothing I can complain about. Anything we asked for was delivered immediately. The rooms are beautifully furnished. Some may be a bit smaller than rooms in the US or other cities. But this is London, and as far as I am concerned this is the city where it all happens. The bathroom was very large with a walk in shower and a bath. Towels were always hot and very comfy.

Been to London twice a year for the last twenty years and this is the hotel I have been looking for. Going to go back? Yes!! August 09.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Stafford London? Share your experiences!