“First-class experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stafford London

You added The Stafford London to your Saves list
The Stafford London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16-18 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NJ, England (St. James's)   |
Offers & Announcements
Third Night Free
Ranked #43 of 1,054 Hotels in London
London, Canada
“First-class experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Stafford for a holiday for seven days and nights in July. Ambience was traditional and elegant, and the service was impeccable, provided courteously and promptly without fail. It's always a pleasure being welcomed back by name at the end of the day. Our package included breakfast, which was superbly prepared; for example, a small silver jug of hot milk was brought to the table for coffee or tea. The American Bar at the hotel was classy, we realized, because it didn't feature wall to wall television monitors or canned music as we are accustomed to in North America, and we appreciated the dress code. Conversation is still valued in British pubs and bars. Our Deluxe King room was satisfactory in size; a little tight moving around, but not unreasonably so, and above all elegantly appointed. The hotel's location was superb as well, just a few steps to Green Park, St. James Park, the tube, and Piccadilly to the west and north, and a 15-minute or so walk to the National Gallery and Trafalgar Square to the east. A first-class and memorable stay, all round.

Room Tip: We preferred to Main house. A Deluxe room is worth the extra money if staying two or more days.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

It is almost a year since my last visit to The Stafford and sadly I was only able to stay overnight on this occasion en route from Paris. However The Stafford remains my first choice London Hotel. We received a wonderful "welcome home" when checking in and were extremely grateful for the suite upgrade. The hotel and service from its staff cannot be faulted and the introduction of coffee machine to the room since my last visit was most welcome. The hotel, rooms and particularly bathrooms are spotlessly clean and the beds must be the most comfortable that I have experienced anywhere. Excellent breakfasts. Delighted to return again.

Room Tip: Suites in the Main House are excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed for our second time at the Stafford for 4 nights last week. We were welcomed back upon check in and shown to the Deluxe King room we booked. It was spacious and bright (though not much of a view) but the bed was amazingly comfy and the AC worked - which is key in a rare London heat wave!

Like other reviewers we chose the Stafford again for its location in central St James/Mayfair, in the middle of it all but tucked away, and the staff's attention to detail…not to mention the great American Bar, clearly a hotspot for locals as well in the warm summer months. The Green Park access was also lovely for some lazy afternoons in the park & morning jogs.

Only complaint - the slamming doors each morning on our hall - perhaps a quieter closing mechanism? They really do bang!

We will return again despite that - all in all a lovely hotel!

Room Tip: Deluxe King rooms are a nice size. Stayed in a Queen the last trip and they are tight.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We visited the hotel on Saturday evening as one of our friends had vouchers from Top table. A glass of very nice champagne and three courses for £60 per head. I must say I am not a fan of eating in hotel restaurants, but after this experience I certainly have changed my mind. We had a table for six in a private area of the restaurant shared with another table for two.. We all experienced superb service, wine and some of the finest food we have had for many, many years. The eventual bill with three bottles of champagne and two bottles of Rioja was £120 per head, but money we'll spent.
The menu is not huge, probably six to eight choices per course. We will return.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Spent the weekend in London celebrating our anniversary and stayed Saturday night .........absolutely fantastic hotel ,friendly staff and superb atmosphere the American style bar is brilliant ....highly recommended,we will return.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Vonore, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This a excellent hotel situated in a very good location next to Green Park and very upscale restaurants and shopping. The Staff is gracious and anxious to serve while display elegant class as they go about their jobs.
Rooms are good varying in size and size beds. Suggest you have clarity on the type of size bed when you book your accommodations to ensure your satisfaction. We had Room 217 overlooking the garden/Bar area. They have an excellent restaurant serving all meals and High Tea. The American bar is well known and is full service with both indoor and outside seating. The location at the end of an off street is quite and provides an escape from the London hustle. We will use this fine hotel on our future visits to London and highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband wanted to stay near Green Park/Mayfair/St. James on this trip to London so I began looking for a 5 star property that wasn't ridiculous in price. I booked my stay through the British Airways website and thought it was a very reasonable rate. When we arrived in London, we walked briefly through Green Park and easily found the opening/pathway that lead us to the front door of the Stafford. We were warmly welcomed by a lovely young man (I suspect he may have been Austrian, but not sure) who was very helpful. He escorted us to an amazingly beautiful and cozy room which served as our home on our brief stay. When my daughter and I thought we might be bumped from our BA flight a day later, her only request was that we book another night at the Stafford if we were staying longer than anticipated.

I can't say enough about the attentive, courteous, polished service we received throughout our stay as well as the comfort and elegance of the room. It was filled with all kinds of treats & extras including a small shoe polish kit, an adorable Stafford rubber duckie, and yummy chocolates. But it was the bed that remains foremost in my mind. I am not exaggerating when I report that it was THE most comfortable bed that I have EVER slept in. I felt like I was floating on a supportive cloud.

I can't report on the restaurant as we did not have breakfast included in our rate so we did not venture to try it out. Next time I book a room at the Stafford I will attempt to book it with breakfast. The next morning my daughter and I needed to store a few bags with some very expensive purchases and we had no doubt that our valuables would be safely secured by hotel staff (and were politely assured by staff). We were delighted we could explore London without having to worry about lugging our bags around or wondering about the security of our items.

My family and I are very picky about our hotels and I can happily report that I think we've finally found our home away from home while visiting London. We can't wait to return to the Stafford. I wish to personally thank the hotel manager as it was obvious to me this is a very well managed property and staff are happy and well trained. Oh yes - and I was delighted to find that the wifi was free and quite fast.

Room Tip: We had a corner room - a triple - which we greatly enjoyed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family