“Feel at home in London...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stafford London

You added The Stafford London to your Saves list
The Stafford London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16-18 St. James's Place, London SW1A 1NJ, England (St. James's)   |
Special Rate
Outstanding Offer
Ranked #48 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto
“Feel at home in London...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

In an average year I tend to stay at over 150 hotels and I rarely find time to write a review. But certain hotels really need to be talked about. I had the pleasure of staying at The Stafford between Christmas and New Years. No this hotel is not the Ritz or the Dorchester nor will you see a ton of rich/elite or famous people always walking around it. Thats because those that do come here are able to hide and feel at home. Having 3 buildings for the hotel you do not even need to go through the lobby to get to your room. I had the pleasure of booking a Mews suite and then being upgraded to the Penthouse... So I can not answer to any rooms being small as this room seemed to be the entire top floor. Having a bedroom, huge closet, main washroom, office, sitting room, dining table, guest washroom, and terrace. There was also my own private Christmas tree in the room. I had the hotel reserve a car transfer to and from Heathrow in an S-Class and the trip went flawlessly and when I arrived at the hotel the staff knew I had and greeted me promptly and brought me to the room. Breakfasts were included in the package I had reserved and were very good. The only complaint I can make against this hotel is regarding the room service.. both days I needed to call back several times before any one even answered and then it took well over the 30min mark that they told me it would take. This is something they definitely need to improve on, especially since I was the guest staying in the best room in the entire hotel. Other than this the hotel is in an amazing location. Having only stayed 3 nights the first day I had the hotel book a car for 7 hours in which I was able to see Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, The British Museum, St Paul's Cathedral, the National History Museum, Royal Albert Hall, the V & A Museum as well as Harrods, John Lewis, Harvey Nick's, and Selfridges.. The second day I could out just how close a walk the other monuments and shopping are. Across from the main building is and alley that you walk though to Green Park and can be at Buckingham Palace in 5 min, there is a shop on the far side of it, and I bought so much I said I'll just take the quick walk back to the hotel as its so quick.. It was then also an easy walk to Westminster Abbey, Parliament, St James Palace and then on to Bond St, Fortnum and Mason and the Picadilly Circus. the courtyard in the back of the main building where you need to go to get to the 2 others opens onto St James St. For location this hotel is flawless, staff make you feel at home and it is a true 5 star hotel. I only peeked into the American Bar as I was so tired both days I couldn't be bothered to go in but apparently most male royals have all been here. This is a real must stay at hotel and I was a long time in choosing a 5 star hotel in London as there are so many. I was really happy with my stay, and I do not think I will ever stay at another hotel when I am in London. When leaving though there was also a bit of confusion that should be looked into as my car was already waiting and there was a long wait for me to check out and get a receipt as there are only 2 desks to apparently check people in and out, was a minor inconvenience but can still be improved upon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank You very much for taking your time to write such a wonderful review!

I am thrilled to learn that as a frequent traveller, you were compelled to write feedback about The Stafford. I appreciate you outlining the points of improvement as they are taken in an account seriously and will be dealt with internally.

Our team is delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our Penthouse and had the needed privacy from the bustling Capital as you have kindly outlined. We are very lucky to be located in the prime area of St James's, adjacent to Green Park, and yet to have a very tranquil environment inside the hotel, away from the hectic streets.

I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back very soon as you must have a drink in the American Bar, as part of the complete London experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our recent visit to London found us back at the Stafford which seems to be our home whilst in London. Everything about the hotel has proven favorable to us. The rooms are exceedingly nice and comfortable. The staff is first rate and friendly, seeming to learn your name after only a couple of days. The "American Bar is something to see with its pictures of the famous and not so famous, yacht club burgees, hard hats from various companies, airplane models of patrons now and in the past, and some of the best barmen to be found.

The location is reat for us as we visit some of the shops along Jermyn Street, close by. I will probably stay there the next visit as I have found none other that is exactly the kind of hotel I am looking for. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

Room Tip: We stay in the annex off the Mews in room (suite) 530 or 630. Both large, spacious, and expensive...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for taking the time to write this wonderful review!

I am delighted to learn that this is your 'home away from home' and that our hotel is the most favourable out of all the competition in the area!
Our American Bar team is thrilled about your feedback being one of the best bartenders to be found, as they are. The bar is certainly a very unique venue enriched with history and fun artefacts, all donated to us by the guests.

I sincerely appreciate your continuous support of the Stafford, as it is a hidden gem in the busy area of St James's and I hope to greet you back 'home' in the near future!
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Stafford is a very nice property in the very centre of London.

The staff is very serviceminded, the restaurant representative (works well for meetings), the bar has a good ambience, there is no noise as the property is drawn back from the main street and you are close to nice restaurants, the parks and the tube.

I have stayed there several times - and it has always been a pleasure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank You for your kind review!

I am delighted to learn that you enjoy the wonderful location of The Stafford as it is tucked away in the heart of St James's, walking distance away from all the major attractions and has very well rounded accessibility to the rest of the city, whether it is by Tube or by taxi. Yet, it is very quiet and tranquil, perfect for a private business meeting or for relaxing after a long day.

I sincerely hope we will welcome you back to The Stafford whether it is for a business meeting or leisure trip to the dynamic Capital!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I'm going to sound incredibly picky, so my apologies. My family stayed at the Stafford for 10 days on the recommendation of my parents, who adore this little hotel. The room is lovely, the location is perfect if you're partial to St. James (as we are) and Ferdando, our wonderful concierge, could not be kinder or more helpful. When he found out our son had a fatal nut allergy, he actually went to two markets to find him biscuits that were safe to eat. He was also incredibly helpful with safe restaurants for dinner. My only gripe is with breakfast, which we usually love in the hotels we stay in. At the Stafford the waffles and pancakes were not home made (what?!) so we couldn't confirm that they were nut free, and the service was slow and forgetful. We ended up paying £75 for 2 rubbery pancakes, a bowl of muesli, and two poached eggs. Eek. We discovered Franco's two blocks away and have been going out for breakfast ever since. I'm afraid we will probably go back to Duke's or The Connaught which are both the total package. If you don't have concerns about breakfast, the Stafford is lovely. Seriously.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank You very much for taking the time to write this detailed review.

I am very happy to hear that our Concierge Fernando has gone the extra mile to accommodate your son's allergy requirements, as our team believes in anticipating the guest needs and exceeding expectations!

In regards to the breakfast review, I am saddened to learn that you did not have a pleasant experience with either the service nor the meal. Please be assured that your feedback is being taken into the account and will be dealt with internally.

I sincerely hope for your return to The Stafford as we will do our utmost to restore your faith in our hospitality, particularly in our breakfast service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I've been going to The Stafford for over 20 years, it's survived it's fairly recent modernization , without any loss of its undeniable charm, the staff are always friendly helpful and consistent, it's a real gem , great martinis too!!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank You for the kind review and continuous patronage to The Stafford hotel!

I am delighted to learn of your acceptance of the refurbishment and do agree that The Stafford maintained its incomparable timeless charm, where elegance and tradition create a haven of calm away from London's busy streets.

Our Bar team is thrilled to learn that you are enjoying our wonderful martinis and we sincerely hope to welcome you back 'home' to The Stafford once again!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were fortunate enough to spend a long weekend in this beautiful hotel with a group of friends, we had an amazing time. It was Christmas, the whole place was trimmed up and looked so cosy and warm. On our first night we ate in a private dining room, it was out of this world. The staff were great and the food was amazing. Our bedroom was decorated really nice, was spacious and very clean. On our second night we all went to see a show and eat out in London, we came back to the hotel and relaxed in the American bar which is a very, very interesting room! Overall we had a fantastic weekend and we hope to visit this hotel again soon! Highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your wonderful review!

I am absolutely delighted to hear about your Christmas weekend at The Stafford and to read your gracious comments in regards to the décor and the service. Our skilful team is dedicated to decorate every single room with a Christmas tree during the festive season to provide the 'home away from home' feeling for our guests. Our private dining team is also very happy to learn that you have enjoyed the service and the meal provided by them!

On behalf of The Stafford team, we hope to welcome you back 'home' very soon!
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

If you like a hotel that oozes character, has really comfortable quiet bedrooms and lovely bathrooms the Stafford is for you and us.The reception and room service are impeccable
nothing is too much trouble and the staff very friendly. The price is on the highish side but
given that there are many characterless and cold hotels in London charging the same, it
is not unreasonable. The location in St James's Place is perfect for Central London.
We arrived on Sunday night after a 15 hour flight and after room service and a glass of
wine, drifted away in a large very comfy bed, perfect. In the morning somewhat jet lagged
we went down to breakfast and were dissappointed to discover that on monday mornings the
breakfast room completely stuffed with business bredakfasters from outside the hotel, not
a single table for residents available and a long queue, we were asked to wait or have breakfast in the room, we were not offered a cup of tea or coffee and ignored by the
restaurant manager. Ummmph we went down the road to the excellent Sofitel St James's
hotel and had a couple of their excellent buffet breakfasts. On returning to the hotel there
were profuse apologies from management and they offered to pay the bill at the Sofitel.
So it was put right to our satisfaction. Tuesday morning the restaurant breakfast was quieter
and we had a pleasant breakfast in the hotel as you would expect. So the recommendation
is for Monday morning breakfast is to reserve a table in advance !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback in regards to your stay at The Stafford!

Our Executive Housekeeper will be delighted to learn that you have liked her carefully chosen bathroom décor and custom ordered mattresses. Our Reception team will also be thrilled to hear about your appreciation of the service that they take pride in so much.

I am disappointed to learn that you were mistreated during the busy breakfast service on Monday, but glad that the management courteously followed up with this situation. We hope this inconvenience did not cause too much distress.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Stafford very soon and our team can make sure that there is a breakfast reservation made for you throughout all of your stay!

Been to The Stafford London? Share your experiences!