“Very Dissappointed...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, London

You added The Langham, London to your Saves list
The Langham, London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1C Portland Place, London W1B 1JA, England (Marylebone)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct for Free WiFi
Ranked #42 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Very Dissappointed...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We booked a summer special package with the Langham that included complimentary breakfast, high speed internet and a complimentary room upgrade. So we were quite looking forward to staying here.

We came from Toronto, and it was a long overnight flight. We got there around 12pm and asked the front desk whether our room was ready. She said the room was vacant, but they were still cleaning the room. Knowing that we just got off an overnight flight she told us gruffly that check in time was 3pm. I asked about the room upgrade. She informed me that they had available upgrade rooms, but it doesn't show up on their computer that i was eligible. I didn't print out my receipt and she said without "proof", she wouldn't do anything for me.

It was a long wait till 3pm (because of the flight), but when we returned to the front desk, 3 other couples came and got their rooms while we just sat there till 4pm. at this point i was a little annoyed, so i found another attendant, and told him the entire story. He escorted me to the business lounge where there was internet access to print out my receipt. He was very helpful and we finally got our upgraded room just past 4pm! (even without the upgraded room, i don't know why other people got their rooms first and why it took over 4 hours to clean the room...)

The next morning, we went down for our complimentary breakfast, where we found out that again we were not eligible... back to the business lounge... after talking to different hotel staff and providing 'proof', they finally approved our complimentary breakfast (conveniently with 10 mins left before the kitchen closes)

I don't know if it's a surprise to you yet, but i didn't get my high speed internet. I didn't even bother talking to them this time. i knew i wasn't eligible without proof...

We called the concierge to help us book 2 restaurants. One for lunch and the other for dinner. It was 9pm, and the concierge said they would call tomorrow. i didn't really know why, because i thought those restaurants would still be open and taking reservations. But i assumed they knew what they were doing and didn't want to insist.

They didn't call us back, didn't message us or anything. I called the concierge, he seemed confused and didn't know what i was talking about. But hastily told me the lunch had been confirmed but wasn't able to make the reservation for dinner. When i repeated the restaurant name, he replied "huh? oh... ya... no, we weren't able to make reservations there". To me it really felt as if he didn't even know which restaurant i was talking about. But i thought it was just me and one out of two ain't too bad!

We arrive at the lunch place, and the hostess tries my first name, my last name, phone number, hotel name, hotel phone number.... nothing... no reservations for us :(

All in all, the location was pretty good, the rooms were pretty nice, but to sum it up the staff seemed a little incompetent and didn't even try to help.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
langham08, Manager at The Langham, London, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings of your experience. Should you wish to contact me directly, please do so at Jane.lyons@langhamhotels.com or [--].

Jane Lyons
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Indonesian first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I took my Mum to The Langham for her birthday after we experienced an afternoon tea that knocked spots off The Ritz a couple of Christmases ago. We always said that we would go back so what better occasion than a birthday. I got a good deal on the internet for a Grand Twin, although still expensive. From the moment we arrived every member of staff made our experience magical. Our room was v.luxurious & super comfy. I went for a swim & had the changing room to myself - heaven & a selection of fluffy towels & robes. We had a fantastic breakfast in the Roux. I had full English; Mum had a gorgeous ham & cheese omelette. You have the option of buffet or waiter service, continental, English, Chinese, Japanese or Lebanese. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the coffee - it was weak & bitter.

• Stayed August 2011
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The signature Langham fragrance welcomes you back the moment you arrive, as do the smiling staff throughout the hotel. Smallish rooms but very tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. The Landau restaurant is second to none as is the signature afternoon tea experience. All in all a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
East London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed 30th July for one night in a club room. The room was very spacious as was the bathroom, the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The service was very attentive and the club lounge was wonderful with a wide range of magazines and newspapers. The breakfast and afternoon tea in the lounge were both excellent. The pool and spa was top notch. The gym was one of the best equipped hotel gyms I have ever used. Overall our stay was fantastic, would highly recommend for a weekend break.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is a a lovely, modern luxury hotel with all the conveniences. I would have given it 5-stars but it seemed to lack the service standard of other 5-star hotels I've stayed in. (The concierge was only semi-helpful, the staff was friendly but didn't seem to go out of their way -- it was perfectly adequate just not amazing.) But room and amenity-wise it was a 5-star hotel or very nearly one. It's a in a great location, right off of a main street, but quiet, a block or two from a major tube station that will get you almost anywhere. I would stay here again without a doubt, however we also stayed at the Draycott on this trip and I would prefer to return there even though it's not as luxurious a hotel. (I liked the fusty charm of it better and adored the neighborhood.)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dormansland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was our second stay at The Langham. We initially stayed for our honeymoon in January 2010. We had a lovely couple of days but there were a couple of things that we felt didn't justify the price. This included a cold room service breakfast and the wrong bed linen. We just felt that considering the room rate and price of breakfast, this was slightly below par. Having left our these details on the comment card we were surprised that to receive an e-mail from The Langham offering us a free night in the same room to make up for our slight disappointment.
We were very impressed by The Langhams customer service as we knew many other hotels would not have bothered. So we had another night in a Executive Grand room with breakfast also provided. We had another lovely stay. The building itself is beautiful and the rooms are gorgeous. I particularly fell in love with the bathrooms.

• Stayed August 2010
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My family and I have stayed here several times and it is our preferred hotel in London mainly due to its location near Oxford Circus. Fantastic for shopping and within easy reach of a lot of the main London attractions.

The hotel itself is very good. Not quite up to the standard of the good 5 star Asian hotels (I am based in Asia) but that is fairly typical for the older London hotels. However, no complaints - the room and bathroom were still very good and the cleaning service excellent. There is also a decent bar and cafe to have afternoon tea etc in. The staff were also very helpful. One whinge (and it is a whinge against most hotels) - stop charging (high) fees for WiFi (20 pounds per day). It's free for you and should be part of the room price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Langham, London? Share your experiences!