We got a free upgrade and were upgraded to the Junior Suite on a Saturday night.
1) Price: Very good rate with the hotel being in such a good location.
Very good location. 5 mins walk to British Museum, 10 mins walk to Covent Garden / Leicester Square.
In a lovely historical building, it has a bar and a restaurant. Other than these they don't have any other facilities which are not essential as if you are visiting London, you wouldn't spend time in a gym or swimming pool anyway!
We stayed in the Junior Suite (Room 616), it is the largest room in the hotel and the room we stayed was on the top floor. The suite has 1 living room area and 1 bedroom, note there is no door between them, including two sofas, two television and 1 double room.
Decoration inside the room has no thrills, it looks like someone's house (especially the bedroom is very basic). There are ironing board with iron etc, but there is no minibar!
One thing that people should take note is, this junior suite only has a DOUBLE bed, not a King bed. As far as I know there are King bedrooms in the hotel, we would have preferred a king bed rather than a double bed suite. There were only two of us, we spent most of the time outside enjoying London, we didn't really need a bigger room but rather we would prefer a bigger bed! But since it was a free upgrade, we didn't want to be 'downgraded' to a smaller room. -- Also a note to The Kinglsey, why not putting a king bed in the junior suite where you do have the space?
Service was good, we were so glad to be upgraded. Room was nicely decorated with petals and balloons, also they gave us a box of chocolate. However, we were promised a turn-down service but they didn't do it at the end. That was not a big deal but we had to remove the petals and balloons off the bed ourselves after a long night out in London at 1 a.m.
Breakfast was fine, it was buffet style, food was average. Nothing special. There are lots of restaurants around so if you want some good food you could go somewhere else. For us we just prefer the fact that we could just go down for breakfast. The only weird thing was most guests were seated in the same area when there were lots of empty tables in other area. I could understand that it was easier for them to wait on everyone but no one dared to say much as you felt like everyone would be listening in around you!
Register with them and you can have a free Sunday night stay and a free lunch with them. Worth doing it!
8) Conclusion: We would definitely stay with them again if we are to visit Central London. Location is the main factor. Visiting London means we are not going to spend much time in the room, so even though the room is not exciting enough, that doesn't really matter! However, we might not be bothered with the breakfast next time, as we found some little cafes nearby and we would be happy to have nice breakfast somewhere else.
Thanks and Well done to the Thistle team! We really enjoyed our stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Following a recent extensive £10 million restoration and refurbishment program at the hotel, every area of the hotel has been transformed – our bedrooms have been completely modernised with a contemporary design and vibrant soft furnishings. Our public areas reflect the new contemporary style but retain elements of the hotel’s traditional Edwardian features. London landmarks like the British Museum and Covent Garden and Oxford Street are within easy walking distance. Just five minutes from Holborn and Tottenham Court Road Tube Stations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, LondonMarketing.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London
- Kingsley By Thistle London
- Thistle Bloomsbury
- Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London
- Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley London, England