“Perfect stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley

You added Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley to your Saves list
Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bloomsbury Way, London WC1A 2SD, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #120 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Perfect stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

This is my 3rd time at this hotel and it won't be my last. The service is second to non. All staff very polite and friendly always happy to help with a smile. If you are looking for fine dinning then you need to look no further we had room service which was delicious and was very quick. I would also suggest adding the breakfast , this is a great way to start the day at the thistle. I would like to add you can't beat the location. I would like to thank everyone at The Kingsley for a great stay

• Stayed April 2013
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, Im glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team looked after you. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your fourth stay in the near future. Kind regards Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have amended my original feedback after extensive talks with the hotel Operations Manager. I was not asked to do this but I wanted to update my review to show how our problem was dealt with. Unfortunately you cannot edit a review, it has to be removed and another one submitted.

We stayed as a group of ladies for a special occasion. We booked and paid for 4 twin rooms about 4 months in advance. Unfortunately 3 out of 4 of the twin rooms booked were not available when we got there. One room was upgraded but 2 rooms were not and basically a campbed was put in a double room.(We had paid over £200 per room) We said at the time this was not acceptable and we were then given 2 single rooms as well. This was not ideal but we just needed to make the best of it so as not to spoil the weekend. The single room on the ground floor was very noisy due to both noise from outside (deliveries etc) 7.30 in the morning on a Sunday, and from the occupants of the room next door late at night until 4am.. Apparently staff are meant to ask customers if they are light sleepers and if so are put further back or on a higher floor. As we had the last rooms available this was not an option. We were given free breakfasts to try and make up for this letdown..

The staff, bar one receptionist, were very pleasant and attentive.

Subsequent to our visit I was contacted by the Operations Manager, Aygul Makbet, who took on board all my comments. They have agreed as a company to not accept bookings over and above their availability so that this will not happen to other people. Bookings are taken centrally and then the hotel is expected to fit people in. Aygul said they will not put campbeds in rooms without prior agreement with a customer. They have bought some extra "proper" beds which can be added to the larger rooms., but once again this would not be done without prior agreement with the customer. We were asked to give the hotel a chance to prove themselves and have been offered junior suites for one night.free of charge. We will be taking them up on this offer sometime in the next 12 months. I hope to do another review after that.
They take their Trip Advisor feedback very seriously..I believe you should judge a company on how they deal with a problem. If they are true to their word other people will not have the same problem as we had .I have said I will be checking future reviews to make sure!

The hotel is well located and the staff very pleasant. (I was advised that the receptionist was just working her notice at the time and has since left)

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up to avoid the noise from the road outside
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I was disappointed to read that you had an unenjoyable stay with us, however was pleased that the Operations Manager has since been in touch with you. Can I assure you it is never our intention to be overcommited in room types and since your stay changes to the way we manage our inventory should help reduce this issue in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards Paul
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I met up with a friend for a three night stay in London to sightsee and go and see Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis..
Every member of staff i met or spoke to was very friendly, polite and helpful.
The best part about this hotel is its location. Five minute walk from the underground and a few stops to the two theaters we were going too, so accessible for all London's attractions.
The room we had was on the 5th floor at the back of the hotel, whilst not a great view from the window it did mean we could open the window without lots of noise.
Housekeeping was excellent, very clean room, lovely clean towels.
Second best part about this hotel was the breakfast. Buy a voucher the night before for £10 pounds, well worth it, very good full breakfast, the only thing i would have change would have been a pot of coffee as apposed to the mug of coffee that was filled up for you, it was never that warm. There was pots of tea though.
For its location this hotel is excellent value and would most certainly stay here again and recommend it.
Free Wi Fi

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel away from noisy main road at the front of the hotel. My room had not long b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, Im glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team looked after you. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

A very Lovely clean well maintained hotel wonderful reception staff we really enjoyed our stay here wish
ed we had stayed longer hoping to return again for another break in the summer would definetly recommend it ...

• Stayed February 2013
Leiderdorp, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I visited this hotel on a business trip and our companies booking agent booked a standard room for two nights, the first night costing 225 pounds (normal for a business hotel in London).

Initial impressions in the reception area were nothing out of the ordinary and check-in went smoothly as one would expect . Until I arrived in my room which had a child size single bed (I suspect I would easily have been able to lay face down and touch the floor with both hands at the same time ,it was all shoved into what I can only imagine was a converted cleaning closet, the room itself was clean so no complaints on that front. I went back to the reception informing them that I was not prepared to sleep on a children's bed. I was initially told I had booked a single room (not true I booked a standard room)and then was informed that the hotel was fully booked and another room was not possible,I replied that I would like to then check out,suddenly they had a Twin room available for me. I accepted and went to the dining-room to eat It looked like a canteen from the 1970's but I was hungry and asked for the menu, I was faced with a set menu and a normal standard Sirion Steak was not on the Menu (the Waitress had never heard of an À la carte menu and just tried to push the set menu repeating it was very cheap, !! not the reason I was eating there)

The replacement room was down in the basement where I can only assume the staff slept as the hallway, in contrast to the previous floor was disgustingly filthy and had not seen a vacuum cleaner in weeks. the room itself was ok and clean, on opening the bedroom curtains I was faced with a window looking straight into a solid brick Wall (what one would expect from the basement I suppose) I then tried the TV and was faced with "snow TV" someone came to look fiddled around and was informed that this was a aerial and that I could move rooms again, I declined and duly cancelled my 2nd nights stay this is not what I would call a hotel for business and more suited to backpackers with rich parents (as the price is criminally expensive for what you get, a more respectable price would be 80 pounds a night not 225) regardless of the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I was disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Whilst the hotel has a number of positive charms due to the age of the building this does mean that not all the bedrooms are the same size, and as a result we have a great range of room size from Single rooms up to Junior Suites. With regards to the food in the restaurant I am pleased to confirm that we do offer an 8oz Sirloin steak and chips and can I assure you that further training has been carried out with the team. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment and I believe that the team have been in contact with you since to attempt to resolve your disappointment. Kind regards Paul
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Glad l checked out reviews on TA. Great welcome at check in and allocated a superb palatial room on floor six which promises to give me some peace and quiet at night!
Service in restaurant was first class and the food very nice. Everything l would expect and more for a business trip so the 3 night stay promises to be very comfortable!

• Stayed May 2013
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, Im glad that you are enjoying your stay with us, I hope that the remainder of your stay is an enjoyable one! Kind regards Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Rochester Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night and found the Hotel to be pleasant in all aspects. The decor is fresh and modern not tired like a lot of London hotels and the smart appearance stretches to the rooms. Our room was large by London standards and had most of the things you need for a nights stay, although if you are here for a few days then you might find wardrobe space limited. Every where seemed very clean and maintained very well. The staff are helpful and polite and overall it was a nice place to stay. The only downside is that we got a good rate for our stay but when we wanted to rebook for another weekend they could only offer a very much more expensive rate. This was apparently because they were nearly fully booked and so market forces apply I suppose. If we got another good rate then we will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, Im glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team looked after you. With regards to rates these do vary according to demand and availability however our best prices are always available at thistle.com. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle

Been to Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley? Share your experiences!