“Flexible staff - watch out for the shower” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley

You added Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley to your Saves list
Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bloomsbury Way, London WC1A 2SD, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #122 of 1,065 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Flexible staff - watch out for the shower”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My partner booked this ages ago for a night stay.
When she arrived after reading the reviews - she had already specified that she wanted a room at the back of the hotel - as it was considered noisy at the front. Which is true.
The booking had not catered for this and when she asked and mentioned the room request - the reception staff asked the manager - no rooms at the rear left - so they gave us a free upgrade to junior suite - at the rear.

And the upgrade was worth it - as the room was excellent - really good layout with a spacious long bedroom and fairly well sized lounge with 2 tvs and on over the bed

I was really impressed.

Service was very good when I asked for ice - straight to door in 2 mins
And when we asked for taxi - same thing.
Staff seemed nice and friendly.

One thing I marked the hotel down was that both of us experience a weird every 2 mins in the shower - it would suddenly get super hot - scald you and then get back to your preset temp.

I who like long showers had this pleasure many times !
I forgot to mention it to them actually....

Value was not bad for a central london hotel - the room was spotless
A nice dock for your iPad or iphone.
And proper a\c in room if you were staying in summer it would be very comfortable for temp.

Im very glad that we got upgraded the standard room was very pokey
I would say the suite is worth the extra money.

Room Tip: 616 was out Junior suite - well recommended ! and at the back of hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and was particularly pleased to read your positive comments about the team. Thank you for your feedback regarding the shower, this has been passed to the Maintenance Manager to investigate. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel has an excellent location just a short walk away from 2 tube stations (in different directions). The hotel lobby is clean and bright, and the check in staff effecient and friendly. If you are staying on a low floor, try use the stairs rather than the lift - it is tediously slow and tiny. The rooms are a decent size, and beautifully decorated. the bathroom is on the small side, but adequate. There are lots of pubs and restaurants all within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We thought that there were many positives. Excellent service - really amazing. Great location - close to Holborn, Tottenham Court, Covent Garden. Very well situated. Excellent and cozy lounge with terrific service. Really great breakfast. Overall great service. My only drawback - small rooms for the price. As a family of 3, we had to takeb2 rooms and it added up. With these prices Internet should be free. Most of Europe is going this way. The room and main areas were very clean, however, the bathroom shower had significant mold stains. There are cleaning solutions thatncan get rid of them. The bathroom was not well cleaned. The shelves had toothpaste stains from previous guests. Ugh! My only complaint which is small in comparison.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have 11 suites that have sofa beds so can sleep up to 4 people and are ideal for families. I have also passed your comments regarding bathroom cleanliness to Housekeeping to investigate because whilst you note it is only a small detail its very important to us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Louth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

For my 20th birthday me and my boyfriend both 20 stayed at the Kingsley for one night on the 9/10/12. We arrived at around 4:30pm and Louise checked us in. She was very polite and asked us about our journey. During check in it came up it was my birthday and we got a free upgrade to a Kingsized suite. She also provided us with a map and directions to the war horse theatre.

The room was small but immaculate, the same for the bathroom, the shower was not very well designed as you had to squeeze in between the shower door and the sink, a minor problem for somebody my age but for somebody abut older could be difficult.

We were in room 610 right on the top floor and noise was nearly non existent from the street, everything worked fine and extra pillows were available. Within us being in our room about 20minutes a gentleman arrived with a box of chocolates and a handwritten card wishing me happy birthday which I thought was a lovely touch.

We were about a 5 minute walk from the war horse theatre which was amazing and I would definitely recommend it.

When we got back we had a few drinks at the bar and the waitress was lovely, made good conversation and attended to our needs. It's a lovely area with a nice ambience.

The next day we checked out which was a smooth transaction and we wondered if we could leave our bags which saved us trailing them around all day which they said we could and we were very thankful for.

When we returned we had a few drinks in the bar again before we had to leave for the train and I asked the concierge which was the best way to get t the train station, he recommend tube but me and my partner weren't that confident on them so he recommended a taxi. When we were ready to leave he got our bags carried them outside for us and hailed us a taxi. He was very accommodating despite it being freezing outside!!

I would recommend this hotel to anybody!! The staff were lovely and it's a fantastic location!! Will definitely be returning in December when were coming to London for the winter wonderland with all the family.

Room Tip: If its your birthday or special occassion mention it to them and they may upgrade you for free!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you had a great birthday! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel and I'm sure it won't be the last. We were made very welcome, by the lovely Louise at the front desk. We were offered an upgrade on our room for an extra £25 which we accepted. The room was lovely and clean and very comfortable. Lifts are available for those that need them. We had dinner in the hotel. Whilst the food was loveingly prepared and well presented, and was a real delight to eat, we were very dissapointed to find that the set price menu that was advertised in the lifts and in the rooms were out of date. Our waitress also told us that the soup was tomato, when in fact it was pea. Having said that it was very nice and we would eat there again. The bar/cocktail lounge was a real treat as well.
All in all I'd recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the menu, this has now been addressed and we have a new menu being launched later this week. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We booked the Thistle Kinsley as our base for my 30th birthday. My finanće rang ahead and told them were celebrating and order champagne as a surprise in the room.

When we checked in they had upgraded Us to an executive king room for free!! The room was brilliant, spacious, modern, clean and comfortable! They'd even left a card and truffles in the room.

The staff as service were fab, we used the restaurant for breakfast, torally delicious. We used the bar in the evening - all brilliant.

All in all, a superb hotel, great location, highly recommend. Earns all 4 stars from AA and a 5/5 from us!

Thanks Thistle for a fab 30th birthday!!

• Stayed November 2012
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel is very stylish and warm looking. The rooms are small, the beds comfy. It has tea facilites, plasma/dvd, hanging space area. The bathroom is very very clean, the shower was amazing, the bathroom is spacious. The rooms are clean and cosy, shame it wasn't just a little bigger.

The breakfast in the morning isn't that great, it could be better.

The location is perfect for anyone wanting to go out in the Holborn/Covent garden area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, November 15, 2012

Been to Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley? Share your experiences!