From the outside, the kingsley by thistle hotel does not look very big, but once you get inside it is so unlike the usual corporate hotels. Having had a recent refurb, it feels very welcoming and somehow homely. Check in was very efficient, and the staff were all very friendly.
We had room 602 which was a deluxe twin room, and were surprised at the quality and fittings ...the bathroom has a power shower and bath, with wood fttings, and the room has a proper kettle (not the usual plastic ones which takes ages to boil) and complimentary tea, coffee milk sugar and bicuits.
The beds were exceptionally comfortable, and the hotel offers a pillow menu .. in room were firm and soft, but if you wanted feather pillows, or anti allergy or any choice on the menu all you have to do is ring reception and ask for them to be sent to you're room.
The large LCD tv in the room has a wide choice of TV and radio channels avail at no charge, including most standard sky ones (dave, sky1, sky news etc...)
The room has its own heating / aircon unit, all you have to do is set the temperature and it is all set.
We decided to have an evening meal in the kingsley two restaurant, and took advantage of the 2 course set meal at £17.95 (3 course £23.95) and the quality of the food was outstanding. We would happily have paid the price of the 2 course for the main course, the food was simply some of the best we have ever had in a hotel (and paid much higher prices for...). The maitre d, guiseppe, was very helpful and knowledgble and made us feel like we were special friends, he quite made our evening. As we had said such good things about the food, he arranged for the chef to come to our table which was a really nice gesture on his part.
The following morning, after our visit to the Jersey Boys show in London (which was sensational) we went down to breakfast, and Guiseppe was there to greet us and he asked about our trip to the theatre and made sure we had tea and coffee before we went to serve ourselves from the breakfast, and what a breakfast choice!!.
There was (on hot food) cumberland sausages, back bacon, hash browns, baked beans, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread. If you wished you could have ordered kippers or eggs benedict as well.
There was fresh fruit salad, fresh fruit, croissants, danish pastries, cold meats, selection of cheeses.
Various cereals ....i.e muesli, cornflakes, weetabix etc etc.
Fresh orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice.
quite the best breakfast we have ever had in a hotel, and all nice and hot and fresh.
One tip...if you have booked room only, ask for breakfast ticket on check in as it only costs £10 , otherwise it is £16.95.
It may sound a lot, but you get a very good breakfast that will set you up for the day ahead, and is well worth the money
There are 2 tube stations within easy walking distance (about 10 mins away) and these are Holborn and Tottenham Court Road. There is a bus stop directly outside the hotel.
To get to the hotel by taxi from Kings cross or st pancras will cost about £8 - £10. and takes about 15 - 20 minutes depending on london traffic.
We travelled a lot on the tube, and found that purchasing an oyster card at the ticket desk (cost £5 each) and topping up was by far the easiest way to get around ... you can top up at any station using the sel service machine, using cash or debit or credit card. Fares are quite a bit cheaper using the oyster card so should work out cheaper if you travelling around london.
We found the best free places to visit were the science museum, and the natural history museum, and the victoria and albert museum (all next to each other, use south kengsington tube station and they are all signposted from the station). Although they request a donation, you are not forced to pay if you cant afford to.
Our rating for this hotel is off the scale, we had a wonderful stay and feel we have now found our home away from home in London. Please try this hotel, you will not be disappointed.. .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Following a recent extensive £10 million restoration and refurbishment program at the hotel, every area of the hotel has been transformed – our bedrooms have been completely modernised with a contemporary design and vibrant soft furnishings. Our public areas reflect the new contemporary style but retain elements of the hotel’s traditional Edwardian features. London landmarks like the British Museum and Covent Garden and Oxford Street are within easy walking distance. Just five minutes from Holborn and Tottenham Court Road Tube Stations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, LondonMarketing.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Otel so you can book your Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London
- Kingsley By Thistle London
- Thistle Bloomsbury
- Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London
- Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley London, England