Let's get some of the negatives out of the way first.
First, the room is small. Very small. There's barely enough room to move around the double bed, there's a fold-out shelf that could be used for a laptop provided you sit on the bed, and the shower, sink and toilet are in a sort of glass capsule, with one curtain separating the shower from the rest. This is definitely not family friendly, but for a single traveler or a couple on a budget, it's bearable.
Second, the incidental charges. The rooms are cleaned every 3 days; you have to pay extra if you want it more often. There's also a charge for toiletries, a 3-pound charge for daily towel rental and a charge for TV and Internet use. For the latter, there are a range of packages including a 10-pound one for your total stay if it's more than 3 days. It should be stressed that these are *optional* charges; you can certainly pack your own towels and toiletries, and if you're exploring the UK, odds are you probably won't be doing that much TV / Internet use anyway.
By the way: the Internet package they have requires you to register with their provider, and the front desk will give you a passcode series that's good for a maximum of three days; more passcodes will be issued depending on the length of your stay. If you're staying for more than a week, and you absolutely need to web-surf, then the 10-pound package looks like good value; for a shorter stay I'd be hunting out some hotspots.
Third, storage space. You have a shelf on the bottom of the coat rack, and a shelf on the nightstand, at the bottom of which is a safe. And that's pretty much it. This is most definitely the type of room that encourages one-bag travel; you'll be living out of your suitcase.
Now, the positives:
First, although the cleaning takes place every three days, they do a very good job of it. The room is well-maintained. Hot water is instantaneous, even during peak periods.
Second, the location. There *is* a pub next door called the Horse, which also does Thai food (although opening hours during the Christmas hols have tended to be erratic), on the other side there's a Costa Coffee for cold breakfasts. And you're across the street from the Lambert North Underground station, which is on the Bakerloo line. If you don't mind a little more exercise, go the other way about three blocks and you'll be at the Waterloo railway station. If you need to do laundry, there's a coin-op about two blocks down around Marsh Street.
Third, the staff. They're very familiar with the neighborhood, and very helpful. That's always a plus whenever I'm traveling.
Bottom line: singles and couples visiting London (and the UK, as an extension) should seriously consider this hotel for its location, comfort and simplicity, but they need to do some planning first. Families - especially with small children - are going to need more space.
And - definitely - bring your own towel.
- Also Known As:
- Tune Hotels - Westminster Hotel London
- Tune Hotels - Westminster Hotel
- Tune Hotels - Westminster London, England
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Attractions at doorstep. Located in the heart of London with Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament,and a host of museums nearby.Within 10 minutes walk Imperial War Museum - 0.4 mile London Eye - 0.4 mile Westminster Bridge - 0.4 mile St. Thomas' Hospital - 0.5 mile Southbank Centre - 0.6 mile,Royal Festival Hall - 0.7 mile."Experience Tune Hotels, your 5-star bed at a one-star price" All hotels feature space-efficient, streamlined rooms focusing on high-quality basics. Rooms vary in size from 6 to 8 sq metres and are equipped with a double or two single Hypnos beds (the type you'll find in five-star hotels). Every room has an en-suite with a power shower, air conditioning and heating with individual control. The £10.00 add-on package is included in the online booking price which includes the television, wireless internet access, a towel, toiletries and use of the in-room safe. Early check-in and late check-out are available for £15.00 and luggage storage costs £2.50 per bag / per day.Daily housekeeping is also available at £8.00, through for long stays guests, rooms are cleaned on day four of your stay and every three days thereafter (included in the rate). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Venere, Expedia, Agoda, Tingo, EasyToBook, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your Tune Hotels - Westminster reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.