“Reception staff need service training” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel

Save Saved
You added St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel to your Saves list
St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Euston Road | St Pancras Chambers, St Pancras Station, London NW1 2AR, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #161 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Reception staff need service training”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Staying at this hotel on business for a week. The regular hotel that I usually stay in is under construction. My assistant says that some of the executives like to stay at this one. So I thought I give it a try.
Arrived at the hotel after a ten hour flight. Exhausted. Ask the reception staff if we can check in earlier, so that we can take a hot shower and get some sleep.
She informed us that the room that we booked is a queen bed. And if we want a king bed room, we had to supplement another $35 a day. And if we need Internet access is $15 a day. We were so tired, and needed Internet to get work done, we signed off on the extra costs. She called house keeping to get our room ready. And told us she will call us on our cell when the room is ready.
We went to a nearby restaurant for a lunch. Mine you, we had soup, salad, pasta, coffee, so it takes a good 45 mins to an hour.
We get back to the reception desk, our room is not ready. We sat at the lobby, for another 15 mins, decided to get some snacks and water at the store. We took a stroll in the shopping mall for another 30 mins. When we get back to the reception desk, the staff would not even acknowledge our presence. No eye contact. No hand signal that says, I will take care of you, just a minute. They proceed to service other customers and gave them keys to their rooms.
I ask another staff for the manager, now that this whole room waiting turned into a 2 hour adventure. Not until than, they noticed that we were noticeably upset and dissatisfied. Found a room in 10 mins. We venture to the elevators to get to our room, the keys failed to work in the elevator, we weren't able to get to our room floor. We venture back to the front desk for assistance.
As a seasoned executive in the service industry, and globe trotting traveller, the front reception staff failed miserably to deliver the first impression of a high end hotel.
The reception staff need training. Eye contact with customers. Set and manage expectations with your customers. Frankly, we would have gone on to do other things, if we knew that house keeping took 2 hours.
Last but not least, understand your customers needs. We mentioned that we were tired multiple times. Staff didn't seem to care. No amount of service recovery would retain your customers, if staff are there just to punch in the info into the computer, execute payments and hand people keys.

• Stayed September 2013

1,447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Turkish first
rural uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Lovely stay here with 3 generations of the family for eldest daughter's graduation at UCL. Rooms ( we had the cheapest) were clean, comfortable and well equipped. Third bed in one was not put in until we asked. Coffee and tea in lounge area is pricey but nice ambience.
The hotel 's restoration is fantastic. Try and see the staircase.
Breakfast buffet was good but not exceptional; service left a lot to be desired. We pre-booked on the offer rate which came through with our booking confirmation( under extras). it was £17.50 each. it was not worth the £32 full price! The staff tried to squeeze 7 adults onto a table for 4; we asked to be moved which was met with ' there may not be a table' to which my husband pointed out that there was one directly behind her.We were given an extra table to join on to ours which was adequate. I know that it can be busy and the hotel want to squeeze in customers, but 'squeeze' was what they tried to do!
On a positive note, the guided tour with a blue badge guide, free to residents, was excellent. my Father is a train buff and travelled from St Pancras as a young boy in wartime. This was one of my reasons for staying here; we weren't disappointed. Guide was extremely knowledgeable and we had access to many hidden rooms. It was an hour and a half so maybe not for children.
I would come and stay again; maybe go elsewhere for breakfast!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Picked this hotel as close to the Eurostar terminal (by close I mean you can walk onto Eurostar from the hotel restaurant exit!!). The reception staff were brilliant and looked after our bags as we'd arrived early. The took my number and rang when my room was available. The room was fantastic. Had a snack in the restaurant late on Saturday night, again this was excellent and very good value. Went to see a West End show and because the tube was packed we got a cab back to the hotel, cost about £20 (well worth it). Love the old pubs around Kings Cross and will definitely use this hotel again when I use the Eurostar. Not as handy as some West End hotels for shops and shows but I definitely recommend giving this hotel a try.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I gave a lift to my elderly parents to this hotel and stayed with them for some hours. They were staying for one night prior to boarding an early Eurostar train the next morning from St Pancras. My concerns about the hotel -
1. Some days ago my father rang the hotel to ask how he would get from the hotel to the station - as an elderly gentleman with reduced mobility he wanted to know precisely how he could achieve this. The receptionist he spoke with clearly did not have a clue and spoke to him vaguely about St. Pancras being nearby and, after a delay, being 0.4 miles away. This information, I suggest, she looked up on a computer. In fact, when we got to the hotel, we discovered that the reception is located in what used to be a street right outside the old station. Just behind reception, emblazoned three times in the stone wall, it said "Booking Office". This was the old St Pancras booking office and has now been converted into a bar. A walk through this bar takes you to the station. How could a receptionist of this hotel not know that the answer to my father's enquiry was, "Oh the station is 50 feet from where I am standing Sir". A quick familiarisation tour prior to her first shift would have informed her of this. Even their website says - "Stop for refreshment in our 5-star London hotel’s Booking Office, the former ticket hall adjoining St Pancras Station & picture the drama of departures and arrivals." Very poor reflection of management and training I'm afraid.
2. My father asked the same receptionist about booking a reservation in the hotel restaurant. The receptionist obviously tried her best but was unable to achieve this. She had the courtesy to ring my father back but was still unable to contact the restaurant. Words fail me how a prestigious hotel was unable to book a reservation for my father in its’ own restaurant. However, worse was to follow. When my parents checked in on the afternoon of 20/9/13 he spoke to the receptionist there about booking a restaurant reservation for 6.30. She said she would organise that and contact my parents in their room about it. No phone call was received, or message left for my parents. Again, very poor.
3. The telephone system in my parents room did not appear to work. Certainly my father and I struggled to make it work and either "0" did not get through to reception or the call wasn't answered.
4. Despite looking high and low my parents and I could not find any information in the room about the hotel and it's services. There was a beautiful illustrated book about the history of the hotel, some writing paper and room service tariffs but no actual book or similar about the hotel. In all the years of staying in hotels this is an absolute first. And in a 5 star hotel!
5. A minor point but my parents and I had tea in the hotel lobby - three English Breakfast. We had three individual pots with loose leaved tea. It had a very nice flavour but was one of the weakest teas I have ever been served in my life. To quote Wikepedia - "English breakfast tea is a black tea blend usually described as full-bodied, robust, and/or rich, and blended to go well with milk and sugar, in a style traditionally associated with a hearty English breakfast." Not even close. And at £4.50 each plus 12.5% service I think they could have done much better like doubling the amount of tea leaves and leaving a pot of hot water for guests to water it down if that is their preference.
In summary, St Pancras Renaissance is one of the most stunning hotels I have ever seen. When we did eat in the Gilbert Scott Restaurant (after booking our table by turning up in person) the meal was superb. All the staff were polite and trying to help. However, due to management and training issues, I think the hotel let itself down in some, mainly communication areas. This would not be ideal in a 2 star hotel but in a 5 star, very expensive, hotel it is simply not, in my opinion acceptable. So, overall, I have to give this an average rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Keosauqua, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on the Eurostar from Paris for just a one night stay. Our expectations were exceeded in every way. Our room wasn't ready upon arrival so we relaxed and enjoyed great service and wine in the Chambers Club. Later we had dinner in the Booking Room. Hope to make it a longer stay next time.

• Stayed September 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have been traveling for 50 years now so I believe it fair to borrow a quote and say "the world is my oyster". This is one of the all time favorite hotels in my world. It is extravagant and exotic. There is something about a grand train station that beckons one to imagine intrigue and Istanbul. Many rooms look out over the Eurostar rails and the magnificent lobby with its spectacular skylights was once a part of the old St.Pancras station. The Booking Office is the restaurant and the buffet breakfast is sumptuous. If you splurge, you can book a room in Chambers and descend the grand staircase from your room just in time to enjoy a chef inspired complimentary appetizer selection and wine pairing. I treat myself to this hotel because it is an experience fot the soul and the senses.

Room Tip: If you can secure a room with a view of the station you will be inspired to write a novel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We arrived at St. Pancras station on the Eurostar from Brussels for a few nights at this exceptional hotel. The station itself is stunning, full of shops and restaurants, all attached to the hotel itself. We had the least expensive Barlow rooms (which ran about 300 pounds a night). The room was spacious, spotless and very comfortable with a modern bathroom including tub and shower. This was my second stay at the hotel and I was not disappointed either time. Free wifi is available in the glass topped lobby at all times.

Prices, including those for the room, were steep (it was 5 pounds for a cup of tea in the lobby), but the building décor and architecture make it a worthwhile investment. On this second stay we had a room with a view of the British Library. On my first stay we had a view of the station platform through a set of windows with pointed arches. We ate in the Gilbert Scott Restaurant for lunch one time, and for dinner another. The décor is as nice as the food. A very special treat. The hotel should be explored as it is one of London's interesting places to visit. Nearly rubble some years ago, the hotel can provide you with the history of the huge renovation that was done to rescue this Victorian pile from the wrecking ball. The Grand Staircase is open for view, as are several other interesting public spaces within the hotel. Go exploring!!!

We had our breakfasts in the restaurants in the station and "people watched". There are lots of choices of places to eat and all of them are much less expensive than the hotel breakfast--and probably just as good. The hotel is very handy for Heathrow flights--Kings Cross subway is next door, connected to St. Pancras station--and you can be in Heathrow in an hour and ten minutes for only a few pounds. Overall an excellent, beautiful and interesting place to stay in London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel? Share your experiences!