“Great Hotel marred by Reception” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel

Save Saved
You added St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel to your Saves list
St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Euston Road | St Pancras Chambers, St Pancras Station, London NW1 2AR, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #161 of 1,075 hotels in London
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel marred by Reception”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wonderfully situated in the St Pancras Station complex (though signs to hotel from concourse could be a lot better) and so ideal for those arriving at or departing from St Pancras (including Eurostar). The architectural delight and wonderful restoration that characterises St Pancras station is continued in the hotel lobby and breakfast room (the listed "Booking Hall"). The Grand Staircase is splendid beyond expectation.
The room was ample and as one might expect.
Breakfast was let down by mediocre coffee.
The issue I have was the chaotic wait at Reception to check in - various people seemed oblivious to the queue and the staff took an age to process people. One might have expected standby staff to deal with queuing customers. Given the cost and the standard, disappointing!
The Air Conditioning system merits an idiots guide in the room literature.

Room Tip: Express check in might have been better
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1,446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Turkish first
West Orange, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great to see another railway hotel restored to (better than) former glory. Spent some nights here with an intervening trip to Paris. Incredibly convenient for the trains/underground and all in all a remarkable experience. Staff were attentive, friendly and efficient. Great spa and can't wait to try the restaurant on our next visit. Their executive lounge was the best appointed I have seen recently with direct access to club rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Frankfut, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just arrived today at St. Pancras for another two weeks stay. This is my third stay here and again its going to be for two weeks. So far I only had very positive experiances.

Well, lets make it short. Despite having eMail and telephone contact upfront to ensure that everything is fine, I received an so called "upgrade" to a room with a shower only. They call it Barlow Premium and it comes with free Breakfast and free Internet (which I have anyway as a Platinum Premier meber). As a bathtub is very important for me (as already stated to the hotel in 2011), I asked to change the room and I got my bathtub. But therefore I am now on the ground floor, with the taxi queue right in front of my window,some noices from the street, in a room that is just big enough to walk around the bed. The closet is not big enough to carry my clothing for two weeks.

There used to be water on the nightstand....well - not in my room (however after asking twice I was told that from tomorrow on I would get it...lets see!). At least tea and coffee are still available (milk is in the fridge).

Even though the hotel is booked, I have to say that I placed my reservation about 3 months before my arrival. So I was hoping that this was an adequate amount of time to allocate a nice room to my reservation.

Overall I have to ask myself why do I have to pay extra, to stay in a tiny little room....of a hotel that impressed my before. Therefore, if its busy in London, dont hope to get a special treatment here as a Marriott Platinum member....look for other hotels, that do offer more value for your money. If you book in advance, there are lots of possiblities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

As could be surmised from number of Trip Advisor reviews we have written, we are generally content with mid priced properties, feeling that most high priced venues are overrated.

But not the St. Pancras Renaissance! We used Marriott points to bring down the price of a Chambers Jr. Suite to our price range. A great decision.

First off the hotel. Spectacular architecture lovingly restored. Modern amenities brought into a framework of classic elegance. The fifteen minute introductory tour upon check in was very helpful and informative. Even offered to have the butler stop by to attend to any unpacking and ironing needs we might have. Great welcome.

Then there's the room. Good be used for work or leisure either. We were on the first floor (European numbering -- second floor in American numbering). A quiet and spacious hallway yielding to a quiet and spacious room that nonetheless overlooked the train quays. Fascinating and delightful.

A final touch was the Chambers Club. Great breakfast selection. Formal afternoon tea. Evening hors d'ouvres. For us, the piece de resistance was being able to order dinner from the booking office in the piece and quiet of the Chambers Club.

So if this is your accustomed style of travel, you won't be disappointed. Or for a truly special occasion and an unusual treat of excellence, it should prove worth the investment. In addition, my guess is that for convenience and serviceability at a lower price, the Barlow rooms also would be just fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Awesome building and delightful staff. Would highly recommend. So convenient for many reasons. Want to come back and stay longer sometime. Take a train to Another city from there. Appeared easy to do so...and will do so next time in London.

Stayed June 2013
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights in May. Got there pretty early, reception offered a room straight away, although told us we had a better room organised if we wanted to wait, which was fine for us.

Came back at 4pm, our bags had already gone to the room, and our keys were ready for us. Stayed in a Barlow Premium King Room - very large, very comfortable - no real view though, which we had been told we had by reception.

Even so, excellent stay. Very central location, great for using the tube to go everywhere around London (straight downstairs). Heaps of shops and restaurants in St Pancras Station, very convenient.

Breakfast was included each day at the Booking Office - superb A La Carte during the week, Buffet on the weekend.

Had room service one night - a brilliant steak - expensive, but worth it :-)

Quick easy checkout, and easy exit to the Eurostar downstairs.

Will be back next time we are in London

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

As of today (6/22/2013) I am currently mid-stay at the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel. This hotel is a stunning (from the moment you first lay eyes on it) but our stay did get off to a bit of a rough start.

After a 12 day Mediterranean cruise that arrived very early in Dover, we were very much looking forward to an early check-in. I had even contacted the Marriott Platinum (who claimed they checked with the hotel to confirm we could check-in early). Unfortunately, we were told the room wasn’t ready.

The good news was that we were allowed to wait in the Chambers Club (for approximately an hour) until our room was available. The Chambers Club is truly extraordinary. Anka and the other staff have been providing exceptional service.

As a Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Platinum) member, I had requested but did not receive an upgrade. This too was disappointing as the Barlow room is rather small for my wife, daughter and I (but it is larger than the stateroom that we had on the cruise ship which is a positive)

A second issue was that my Platinum amenity wasn’t delivered and I had to make two calls before it was finally delivered (truly unusual for a hotel of this very high calibre)

However, contrary to other reviews, there is no noise from the street (and we are on the 1st floor). The Barrow room is clean, is well-appointed and smells fresh.

There are two things thing that Kevin might want to look into. The first is the “smell” in the vestibule area once you exit the 1st floor lift. It is a bit off-putting but vanishes once you exit the vestibule doors into the main corridor. The second is the loss prevention staff.
As mentioned in other reviews, I too feel they are a bit aggressive as I have been repeatedly asked if I am a guest of the hotel (when entering and existing the lobby area during daylight hours) and was once asked if I was “lost” when approaching the front door while out walking around Bloomsbury). Whilst I am American on holiday, I do wear proper casual attire and certainly don’t feel that I look “lost”. However, given the proximity to the rail station I do understand the need for security.

Despite the rough start it would be impossible to give anything less than the highest possible rating.

As far as location, this location cannot be beat. There are a number of interesting sites, from the traditional to the eclectic, within walking distance. Some examples are British Library, Foundling Museum, Wellcome Collection (a free exhibit that's truly ecclectic), Charles Dickens Museum, British Museum and several very nice public gardens. The hotel has a Concierge that can provide additional recommendations and assist with special plans.

The hotel’s proximity to St Pancras station / Kings Cross are perfect for local trains, the Eurostar and the London underground (it took us less than 15 minutes to take the underground from the Tower of London back to the hotel on the “Circle Line” (take it in the direction of Hammersmith to get back to the hotel).

The hotel also has a tour (complimentary) that is guided by hotel historian. We haven’t taken this tour yet but we do have it booked for Monday (but we have heard very good things about the 90 minute tour)

As someone who has spent more nights in Marriott properties over the last `15+ years than my own home, I can assure you that this hotel is truly magnificent and unlike any hotel I have ever stayed in. The architecture and beauty of the building will leave you speechless (an ideal place to take that special person away from a romantic getaway)

There is no question that we will stay here again when we return to London. My family and I have three more nights left (four including tonight) and we absolutely plan to enjoy every remaining minute here.

Kudos to Kevin, Christian, Paul, Anka and the rest of the St Pancras Renaissance team !

P.S. As per my wife the rasberry bon-bons (from Mrs Kibbles') at Reception are absolutely decadent !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel? Share your experiences!