“Great hotel, super staff - pity about the breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel

You added St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel to your Saves list
St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Euston Road | St Pancras Chambers, St Pancras Station, London NW1 2AR, England   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free WiFi + Late Checkout
Ranked #248 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, super staff - pity about the breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Arriving at King's Cross Station it is so easy to walk through the new connection and straight to the hotel. Imposing and gothic spring to mind. Finding the entrance is not simple - first floor and marked as 'Booking Office'! Inside the hotel is stunning and the reception staff were fantastic, walking you to your room and explaining everything. We spent a very relaxed and comfortable night and were ready for breakfast next morning. This is served in the Booking Office and is very relaxed - a combination of buffet and a la carte. The selection and staff were excellent but there was a fairly lengthy delay in getting our orders. My eggs benedict were OK but only warm and my partner's omelette was a bit like a filled pancake and luke warm. The restaurant was very busy and it would be better to go at a less hectic time. Leaving the hotel and checking in to Eurostar was seamless and made the whole event worthwhile. I will certainly go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel.
We would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Please feel free to contact Christina Huethwohl on 02078413542 or christina.huethwohl@renaissancehotels.com if we can be of any assistance.

Kevin Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have wanted to visit the hotel since it reopend and an offer on Voyage Prive made that possible. However we were put in a modern hotel room bloak away from the original building. The lobby is very busy as it also serves as a tearoom/restaurant and nowhere to sit and wait. We did orcer tea and scones but the scones took over 30 minutes. We gave up after 30 minutes but they were sent up to our room as a complimentary addition as recompense. You see very little of the original building. If I were to do this again I would stay somewhere less expensive and book on the hotel history tour, for £20 per person. An excellent tour and you will see you you want to see.
However did use the swimming pool and steam room in the basement which were beautifully decorated and staff very friendly.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed in a Chambers Club room that was very comfortable and reasonably spacious. The view overlooking the station concourse was terrific and the bathroom was very nice with a brilliant shower. A minor fault: the picture frame in the bathroom was cracked so we pointed that out straight away as we didn't want the hotel to think we had done it!
However, I've never stayed in a more spectacular setting. The original historical building is a thing of beauty inside and out. There are tours which you can sign up for if you ask at the concierge desk.
On arrival there was a delay with the room but we were given a tour of the building with a very informative and polite steward. We were made to feel very welcome and we relaxed in the Chambers Club room while we waited. The staff there fetched us complimentary drinks and there were light snacks available.
Club Lounge Breakfast was very good. Scrambled eggs, sausage, streaky bacon, fruit, cereal, pastries, yogurt, toast, smoked salmon, hams, fruit juice, tea, coffee. Kept us going most of the day!
The staff remember your drinks order from the previous evenings which is impressive.
Don't leave breakfast too late as tables fill up quickly and the staff do need to get them cleared a lot quicker. Some guests were waiting a while for a clean table which is not satisfactory for a hotel with five stars.
Afternoon tea is nothing special and I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than a quick bite before something more substantial. Again, it's free for Chambers guests but even so the choice of sandwiches could be more varied than just cucumber and mint.
We ate out so we didn't try the hotel restaurants.
The fittness suite is very well equipped and we chilled out in the jacuzzi and pool for a good while. Very comfortable but under-used, which probably makes it more relaxing.
Overall a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. Expensive, but for that once in a lifetime treat we were very glad we did it.

Room Tip: Recommend a chambers room facing Eurostar. Some background noice but not intrusive.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The old London Midland railway hotel and old British Rail offices have been transformed into an amazing modern but historic hotel. The restaurant , bar and lounge has retained so may of the original features. The booking hall is an incredible space and so much attention has been paid to restoring the space to its former glory. The spa and fitness centre is the basement where the old kitchens were located. The pool is deep blue and gorgeous. There is a steam room and sauna the gym is well equipped.
Service is great. A little slow ar busy times they need to sort that out.
It's fab to see the Eurostar trains pulling into the station and look on to the station.
It's expensive but worth it

• Stayed March 2012

Llandudno, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful building and design. Had a fairly standard room that was good size, comfortable and well laid out. Can't give it a 'very good' rating though as it was so expensive. At £300 a night for a standard room it should be almost perfect IMO. £6 to use the wifi for an hour is taking the ....!

Stayed February 2012
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013

Southern U.S.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Hotel is a grand renovation of a historic structure and could not be better located if you are riding Eurostar and don't mind riding the Underground. Trains and underground are accessible without going outside the building.

There was no clock in my room. I called the Front Desk thinking it had broken and been removed. Receptionist said, "there are no clocks in the room!" Why shouldn't a hotel of this grandness not put clocks in the room??

Calling Guest Services, as the operator is called, is an experience unto itself. Thank goodness there is a speaker phone which can ring while you do things until someone answers. I believe 25 rings was the record but it could have been more since I lost count.

Why do new hotels think someone likes to take a shower and flood the bathroom. What is wrong with a bathtub and either a shower curtain or door. My room had a shower with an open end, which caused water to run on the bathroom floor. . I just don't see the purpose of this. Who wants a flooded bathroom? Or am I missing something?

My access to the Chambers Club was a premium plus. Staff was helpful and nice, and the food certainly acceptable.

But if you want Location, this is the place.... I was able to take the elevator to the lobby, walk out the side door directly into the area for boarding Eurostar. This is a huge advantage taking an early train.

Clocks, a shower door, and prompt phone answering could make this hotel the truly grand experience the St. Pancreas should be.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This new Renaissance hotel is billed as a “masterpiece renovation” of a “Victorian classic railway hotel” and yet I expect that for most hotel guests, the experience of a stay at this property will not necessarily be as splendorous as those descriptions suggest.
I recently stayed several nights at this property and as a seasoned traveler and long-time Marriott Rewards Program member, I came with high expectations to this new hotel but was ultimately disappointed with my experience. For a self-described five-star hotel, this property simply does not measure up.

Here’s my take on the hotel:

(1) Only guests paying for a large suite (I was told a “butler” is included in some suites) get to enjoy the lavishly-appointed rooms in the renovated Victorian part of the hotel. All other guests are allocated a fairly standard hotel room (out of available inventory) in the back of the hotel. The “back” of the hotel is basically a purpose-built “addition” into the railway terminal which has several floors containing fairly standard “regular” hotel rooms. These small-ish rooms contain new “soft” furnishings which are of a pleasing standard, but not what I would call “luxurious” (certainly not worth the steep 350 GBP per night room rate). Other reviewers have mentioned some of the issues in the rooms so I won’t be repetitive here, but suffice it to say that the hotel still needs to iron some stuff like the lack of good lighting in the bathroom, etc. Plus, I’ve stayed in nicer rooms at other Renaissance hotels around the world (for example, the old Renaissance London Chancery Court Hotel comes to mind). Personally, I would not pay more than 175 GBP per night for this hotel’s standard rooms with their lack of any appreciable view (some rooms reportedly overlook the railway terminal itself).

(2) Access to this new part of the hotel is through the back of the lobby, where as a guest you have no choice but to take the same route to your room that cooks and waiters take from the kitchens and to the hotel’s “Booking Office” restaurant. I don’t mean to sound elitist, but when paying top rates for a five-star stay at a hotel, I should not be forced to get to my room by walking on a dirty food-stained carpet all the while dodging tray-carrying waiters and cooks carrying vats of eggs and bacon – that is just ridiculous.

(3) While from the outside, the hotel looks enormous and grand, surprisingly, the lobby area is fairly intimate. In fact, the only common area of the hotel that I was able to find was the lobby! If you want to sit on a sofa somewhere, you can only use the lobby, and because the lobby also doubles for a restaurant (guests take tea, sandwiches, etc. right there in the lobby) I frequently found myself unable to find an un-occupied sofa or chair. And so I found the lobby fairly claustrophobic. Mind you, there is another area in back of the lobby that could have been used as a common area, but it was screened off by doors with “blanked out” windows for the duration of my stay as that area was off limits and serving as an “event” room. During my stay, there was one event after another in that area (weddings, I suppose) with bands (or music) creating quite a bit of noise in that whole ground floor area. Moreover, the entrance to the event room was also through the same corridor which guests take to their rooms, as well as waiters and cooks use from the kitchens to the Booking Room restaurant – all of us crammed in together along a narrow corridor like Salmon swimming upstream to spawn…

(4) Only guests paying for a large suite have access to a “concierge club” for a nibble or some relaxation (actually described as a “private club”). And so to my surprise, I found out that this “five-star” Marriott/Renaissance property in fact does not have a Concierge Lounge that Gold and Platinum Rewards Program members can use! Virtually all other Marriott properties have such a Concierge Lounge, and because this hotel has none, that alone is enough for me to stay away. As a Rewards Program Member, I expect, as a benefit of membership, to be allowed access to a quiet lounge area where I can relax and have breakfast, a drink, a snack, etc. But don't expect to find such a lounge in this hotel. Instead, I was told I could have breakfast in the hotel’s ever-busy “Booking Office” restaurant where on one occasion I was asked to pay for my breakfast despite being a Marriott Rewards member. And for an evening “snack” I had to come, hat-in-hand, to flag down a waiter and request a snack, explain that I was a Marriott Rewards member and should not have be charged for said snack, and then wait 10 minutes while the snack was made and delivered. The hotel should realise that having Marriott Rewards members go to the Booking Room Restaurant is not a solution and the whole experience just seemed to me to be petty and demeaning. And it was not a relaxing affair, especially in the evening, when the restaurant was full of patrons, with no seats available, and noisy revelers enjoying loud piped-in music…

And so as you can see, I was not enthralled with this hotel. It’s location, although fairly central to the major rail hub of King’s Cross / St. Pancreas (the London Underground is a 10-minute walk through the station) is in fact in a rather run-down, shabby, and borderline seedy neighborhood with few redeeming features.

I do have two positive things to say about the hotel. Firstly, I found the staff to be unfailingly polite and quite welcoming. That is something many hotels get completely wrong but where the Renaissance in fact does quite well. The staff I met were cheery, sweet, and helpful, and that means a lot to the weary traveler. Secondly, the rooms were brand-new, very quiet, and have not (as yet) been abused by thousands of past guests, and this is a rarity in London.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Kevin Kelly

Been to St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel? Share your experiences!