“Different , original , great for a special occasion.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel

You added St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel to your Saves list
St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Euston Road | St Pancras Chambers, St Pancras Station, London NW1 2AR, England   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free WiFi + Late Checkout
Ranked #248 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
buckinghamshire
“Different , original , great for a special occasion.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed here for one night as I was attending a special event in London. There is no mistaking the feeling of history as your black cab sweeps up to the impressive entrance and the doorman is there to welcome you.
The lobby is light and airy and it's worth reading up about the history on the hotel website and taking a moment to look around. Check-in was trouble-free , I had booked a Barlow King room in the new part of the hotel. It was beautifully furnished and very comfortable. Thick heavy curtains kept every bit of light out so set an alarm if you need to catch a train ! I would of loved to have stayed in one of the original bedrooms but they were a bit out of my price range.
The Booking Office Bar is great for a few drinks and had a mix of hotel guests , tourists and business men / women . It also has an interesting drinks menu with some Victorian recipes !

It is expensive to stay here but definitely worth the extra money. So often in London you pay over £200 for a sub standard hotel , so if it's a special occasion and you are looking for an experience not just a hotel and you don't want to risk disappointment I'd book in here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you very much for reviewing the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel just after the opening.
We have now been operating for a bit over a year and would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Please feel free to contact Christina Huethwohl on 02078413542 or christina.huethwohl@renaissancehotels.com if we can be of any assistance.

Kevin Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Turkish first
raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed for 2nts in Sept 2011 and were completely impressed with the amenities, service and overall friendliness of the staff. Our room was in Barlow House, the new section, which was is contemporary in style, beautifully decorated, room had a nice city view, and was completely quiet, which is our prime priority. The train station (Eurostar plus Kings Cross/St Pancras tube) is 2 levels down; there's a nice shopping mall in between, atrium style, but the hotel rooms are well insulated from any noise below. I can't say enough about the hospitable, well trained, professional staff. Hugo/Concierge Lounge manager, gave us a personal hotel tour and pointed out numerous beautiful artifacts/photographic elements for us to shoot the next day. Hugo was the consummate professional and a super nice guy, to boot! We totally enjoyed our stay here and will come back again!

Room Tip: Just ask, they'll work with you!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel before my trip to Paris. It looks really lovely from the outside & as you walk inside it doesnt let you down!
The rooms are nice..... We had booked 3 rooms for 3 friends & when we checked in at 5.30pm two of the rooms were not ready. so we all went into my room. As we walked in the smell of an outside toilet hit us! not to mention hair on the bathroom floor!!!! we went right downstairs & complained. The lady was great & upgraded us! The next room was lovely, clean & bright.
I would stay again if going to Paris.....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Staying here almost makes me feel like Phileas Fogg prior to setting off in search of adventure on the nearby Eurostar. There is a sense of history associated with this location, as part of St Pancras station it inherits its wonderful architecture and Marriott hotels have retained many original features in this cleverly designed edifice. There is no hiding the fact that the renovation of St Pancras station has been an architectural achievement and I couldn't hide my sense of excitement in staying here (all I was lacking were tickets to the continent).

We entered through the station and the Booking Office restaurant which gave us a flavour of what it would be like to have breakfast there. We had arrived early and registered for our stay leaving our bags with the concierge prior to visiting our daughter across town. We were, however, expecting to have our room available to us for 1pm as promised and faced a minor disappointment to find out it was not ready. Not to worry, off we went and lunched at Carluccio's in St Pancras station.

On our return, an hour later, we became a little perturbed to hear that housekeeping had not signed the room off yet. I could sense the potential maelstrom as my wife started to negotiate with the Assistant Manager who I have to say was extremely pleasant and defused what might have been a little unpleasantness by suggesting that she show us our room and an alternative so that we could choose ourselves what we wished to do. This marvellous diversion worked a treat and we remained with the allocated room which became available some 15 minutes later. We needed access to get changed as we were going out and not returning until 11ish.

The room was large with a king size bed and at the end of the hotel. Rest assured, behind the St Pancras facade lives a true Marriott style hotel with rooms to match. Everything is comfortably appointed with a large flat screen TV, the only thing that I thought was somewhat parsimonious was the lack of free WiFi.

Anyway, we left the hotel en route to Covent Garden where we enjoyed the atmosphere, failed to get an iPhone 4S and ate an excellent meal. We returned by taxi with refrains of La Traviata in our heads and decided upon a nightcap. My Mojito was sublime and my wife's hot chocolate got the attention it merited given the time it took to make, it was first rate. The bar is in the previously mentioned Booking Office and spirits a most enjoyable atmosphere with comfortable seating and a very pleasant vocalist with guitar accompaniment. We spent 45 minutes listening to her soothing voice before retiring. There was a rather large party going on in a major function room and by the sound of it they were having a real old bash however, once in our room we heard not one drum beat.

Breakfast is on the pricey side at £26 for full English but at least at the weekend they proffered a vast buffet of goodies (they even managed to get the scrambled eggs right). We left replete and not requiring lunch so felt we had good value.

Overall, we enjoyed this hotel, it was, after all, a special occasion for us being our anniversary. It has the grandness of days gone by with modern facilities and is well kept. The staff are excellent, pleasant and well trained, we just felt that perhaps there were too few for requirements as getting things done in a hurry proves a bit of a challenge although this is the only fault we could find. We will, however, definitely return.

Room Tip: If you have one at the furthest end from reception you are guaranteed quietness and a sound sleep.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed two nights at this lovely hotel early October 2011. The entire stay was amazing. We had a room in the new wing of the hotel, which is obviously not as impressive as the main building, but still really nice. You really must take a short walk through the hotel to visit the original wing, it is beautiful and the architecture is very impressive ! As regards our room, it was very large, comfortable and quiet, exactly what you need after a long day of site-seeing ! In addition to the nice room, this hotel is also situated in a great location to visit London, given that the tub stop of St Pancras is a minute away. We ate at the hotel restaurant upon arrival, and if you like real british food, this is a restaurant you should appreciate !
In short, we had a great time, and would definitely stay at this hotel again !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at the St Pancras Grand in September. It was a last minute booking but I jumped at the chance to stay there (There was an excellent review of the new refurbished Midland Grand in the Evening Standard). I thought that the price for a standard room, £315 (not including VAT) was exceptionally expensive, about what you would pay to stay at the Dorchester.

From the moment I checked in, things weren't as I would have expected - the decor of the foyer etc is nice, but once you get up to the standard rooms, it is like any bog-standard corporate marriot, with none of the features that had been shown in the review (I assume the reporter stayed in a more expensive room!). The room also looked out over train platforms and we could hear the station PA through the double glazing. Although I arrived exactly at check in time my room wasn't ready, so I was given another room - but a room with a connecting door that wasn't locked (not ideal for security) and when I complained, I was moved, but it took a long time to sort out, despite my being in a hurry to get ready for a theatre trip.

In my room - there were pistachio shells on the floor, from the room not being properly cleaned. The lights weren't properly connected in my bathroom and one bulb was dead, the air-con was not working and the room was unbearably stuffy and in the morning, when I tried to dry my hair, the hairdryer fused every single time I turned it on so i left for my day with wet hair. There was no food in the mini-bar, no free water and the mini-bar prices were an absolute joke. I know that hotels make money on the drinks from there, but what kind of rip-off merchants charge £5 for a can of coke that retails at 60p?

In the morning on check-out, I asked to speak to the duty manager to complain and was kept waiting for 15 minutes. I was offered a 20% discount after complaining, but even that was only when I pointed our that I was a marriot reward card holder. This 20% discount just about knocked the VAT off the room cost. The only silver lining was that the staff were courteous.

All in all, I was very disappointed. The hotel is exceptionally overpriced for London for a pretty standard hotel experience and there were so many problems. I certainly won't be going back.

Room Tip: Either stay in one of the grand rooms - or don't bother. You can get much better in London for t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Bo'ness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed here in May as a treat to celebrate a special birthday. We stayed in one of the newer ground floor de luxe rooms and could not fault it for comfort or cleanliness. I had mentioned the special occasion on booking and were touched to find a chocolate birthday cake in our room on check in - a small touch but so important. The staff were cheerful, polite and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is well placed for transport links, shops and other eateries if you fancy something different from hotel food. Will definately be returning to this hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Kevin Kelly

Been to St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel? Share your experiences!