“Good stay overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #358 of 1,075 hotels in London
England
“Good stay overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Tricky place to review. We went two years ago when it was still part of the Waldorf Astoria. Back then a King Room was £240. Now it's more like £140. It still looks the same but they've cut back on maybe a few of the real frilly parts of the 5* experience. However, the place actually feels a bit better for it. It's still a really attractive building, the rooms are opulent and specced to a REALLY high standard.

The restaurant is now much better value. The food is maybe not quite as good as last time but it's much much better value. Crucially the place is a bit busier now so the atmosphere is better. Another thing better than last time is the breakfast. This time we had a great buffet breakfast included in the rate, but last time we had a really poor breakfast which we paid extra for.

You can get into London in about half an hour on the train from nearest station. It's about a 5-10 minute walk away.

Great place really overall and much better value now, but it's still in a slightly odd position. It's almost too nice for where it's located if that's posible. In the £100-£140 range we'd stay again.

Room Tip: The A/C isn't great in the rooms so a room on the 1st floor means you can keep the window open s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SaschaKoehler, General Manager at Hilton London Syon Park, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with comments and feedback.

I am honoured that you believe we are almost too nice for where we are when we have Syon Park surrounding us so thank you.

As you have mentioned we have changed our prices for both rooms and restaurant to reflect our recent change from a Waldorf Astoria to a Hilton. We have also just changed our menu, which I am not sure if you had the pleasure of trying but can assure you is truly delicious( I would personally recommend the fishcake starter and the roasted lamb rump main!)

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to London Syon Park.

770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

With the recent demotion of this hotel from Waldorf Astoria to Hilton, I couldn't resist an opportunity to Syon Park. I wasn't to be disappointed.

The hotel is situated in Syon Park, about a 15 minute (pleasant) walk from Syon Lane railway station. From Heathrow, I took the tube to Boston Manor and then the E8 bus followed by a short walk.

On arrival, the lobby is stunning - having stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in New York last year I see exactly what they were aiming at: it works superbly.

As Hhonors Gold VIPs, we were offered drinks vouchers for the bar (value up to £12), and were upgraded from their basic rooms to King Deluxe rooms. These were spacious and very tastefully designed - the bathrooms were especially beautiful. I note some previous reviewers mention an Apple TV in the room - let me stress that it is actually a Mac Mini!

The balcony was lovely.

Breakfast was a delicious buffet - to my taste it was better than any other Hilton in London I've stayed (and I've been around the place - Park Lane, Waldorf, Canary Wharf, London Bridge, Gatwick, Stansted...). The server was absolutely top notch - proactively offering fresh cutlery, and extra hot drinks.

All round, one of the best Hilton stays in London...and all at a price under £100 for a night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review London Syon Park, it is very much appreciated.

I am very happy to see that you think our's is the best breakfast you have had in any other Hilton in London, we are currently changing the buffet so hopefully when you return our's will be the best in London!

The team and I look forward to your return.

E Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two weeks ago as romantic birthday kid free get-away. We spent the day in Richmond so it was perfectly located for us - I imagine it would be a fair trek into central London. Situated in the historic Syon Park, the entrance is pretty. The hotel is a new build but pretty sympathetic. The car park was packed with wedding guests (there seemed to be a couple of weddings on - certainly the hotel seems to have been designed with events in mind).

Check in was pleasant and simple. Our room while very spacious for London and with a sizeable bathroom in my opinion could have done with a design revamp. The black/silver furniture, hanging crystals and purple furnishings seemed a little dated, oppressive and made the room appear darker than it was. However it was very comfortable and big - a real premium in London! The bathroom was great - huge and with a tv you could watch in the bath. A slight niggle would be that the there was a cable hanging loose from the wall (removed phone?)- it may have been made safe but it was unattractive.

We used the pool and spa facilities which were very pleasant. We ate in the evening in Richmond but had breakfast in the morning at the hotel. The room was large, light and tranquil and the breakfast selection was pretty good overall. A big thank you to the waiter who fetched me some vegetarian sausages - great customer service!

I'd very happily stay here again. If you're looking for somewhere close to the buzz of central London then this isn't for you, but if you want somewhere very pleasant in South West London then give it a try.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review London Syon Park.

Whilst the surroundings make you feel you are a million miles away from central London, it is only a 30 minute train journey (plus a 5 minute walk to the train station from the hotel). Maybe next time you visit us you can add a shopping trip to the city and see the ease of the journey.

I will be sure to thank the waiter who provided the vegetarian sausages for you.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to London Syon Park in the near future.

Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on 5 May upon arrival was impressed with reception and decor. We checked our bags in and headed to the restraurant for our sunday lunch. The service along with the food was very good. We then decided to check in to our room - we were to say the least very impressed with the stunning decor. We had a balcony room which overlooked Syon Park. We were very pleased! Bathroom was amazing. Huge 2 people shower, fluffy towels lovely bath and TV over which I loved!! All very glam and the bed was huge and very comfy. We then decided to head to the spa which again, was fab. We had a couple of treatments which were good. We headed back to our room and later on ordered room service which again was good. I will add, you are in the Heathrow airport flight path and they are constantly fliying over the hotel. I didn't actually find this distracting at all and there was no noise in the room. The next morning we decided to go down to the restaurant Capability for breakfast and sadly this was a huge disappointment. It was a complete sham. They were low on supplies, cutlery and crockery was low, just basically attention to detail not there - and the service was also bad. We recently went to Hilton Dubai and the service and food was INCREDIBLE - it certainly was not the case here. This hotel is not cheap and you expect better than this !!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

I am happy to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us with a delicious lunch and attentive service, I will be sure to thank the team for their efforts.

Unfortunately we had not expected the extremely busy breakfast that greeted us that weekend, while this is in no way an excuse, we are working on a new style of breakfast by changing the items that are offered and how they are offered to ensure a more relaxing breakfast experience going forward.

The team and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Toulon, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

An ex-Waldorf "Collection" hotel? Let's bear in mind this is simply a marketing brand of a US-based corporation and the local management (including the area management team) are the ones who will sort this gulag out. In fact, Sascha, the GM, appears to be in self-denial, so I did everyone a favour, and spoke to Beverley Hills Worldwide HQ the other day, so expect action soon.

And now, a drum-roll for one of the worst, if not THE WORST Hilton on the planet:

1. The staff, generally, are appalling whose customer service skills would be better used in a North Korean concentration camp, which also might have luke warm showers, unlike this glorified tinsel town rip-off.

2. The concierge on my visit, was so disinterested, I thought he needed more AA batteries to generate a flicker of human interaction.

3. Check-in. Sullen. I would go as far as to stay it was unfriendly. I was at this stage taken aback - but worse was to come, believe me.

4. Housekeeping is either run as a joke by students on the entertainment committee from the local college or the management are playing chess with the bottles of complimentary toiletries which are by and large missing in action. Along with prompt efficient service. Suspect the whole place is in fact understaffed in order financial targets are met.

5. The room decor is not to my taste - and the lighting system was devised by some astro-physics professor at UCL. The room was stuffy and was not cleaned properly. Some items were missing and opening the door to the balcony - the roar of Rolls Royce engines overheard on an airliner landing at Heathrow made me shut it, damn quick. Even with the glazing, the muted rumble overhead is only 90 seconds apart. If you are a plane-spotter wearing a chic anorak - this IS the place for you.

6. Restaurant service and quality - dire. I refused to eat my starter and looking around at others, before falling into the "it can only get better" trap, got in the rental car, got a take-out, some beer and a large bottle of water for 10% of what this grotesquely over-priced hell-hole would charge and sat in my room, watching TV. I wanted to sit in the bar and relax but at those ludicrous prices, I'll make do.

7. Breakfast. Total shambles. I gave up after looking at the chaos - and the place wasn't even packed.

I could go on and on - but you get the picture.

Leaving, I breathed a hue sigh of relief and felt blessed ( a little) that this train-wreck was on expenses.

In summary - I think you could possibly do this joint under Trade Descriptions legislation. It is impersonal with no customer service, some of the junior management team are arrogant beyond belief and need to leave the industry - I don't think re-training will work, sadly. Then add, dirty cups, feezing showers, extortionate F+B pricing, a room that was designed in some regards by a colour blind painter and airliners passing overhead with the smell of kerosene in the air - a place to avoid.

I think the worst of it all is - the GM has to fly her flag there - but Sascha, you need to get it sorted - and weed out the lazy, appalling staff. Your HQ knows you have a problem - and you need to fix it. I hope you can.

Till then, no-one from my business or friends will be allowed to stay here. I then stayed in a much better hotel, the other side of London at half the price. And THAT tells you ALL you need to know.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such extensive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at London Syon Park.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the many issues you experienced during your stay and be assured that I will be personally investigating.

As you are aware we have recently changed from a Waldorf Astoria to a Hilton, which also meant changing our toiletries, we had unfortunately had teething problems with this but I can assure you this has now been rectified.

I am pleased to inform you that we have just changed the whole menu in the restaurant featuring delights such as English Asparagus with poached egg and hollandaise, cod & parsley fishcake, pork belly with wilted pack choi and orange & carrot puree and many other delicious dishes. Prices have also been reviewed to reflect our recent change.

We are also in the process of changing our breakfast buffet both in items that are served and the way in which it is displayed to allow for a more relaxed breakfast experience.

Once again thank you for all of your valid comments and feedback. Should you allow us the chance to restore your faith in us in the future please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can assure you have nothing but a perfect stay, my email is sascha.koehler@hilton.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I surprised my wife with a romantic getaway for 1 night at this fantastic hotel. I booked the King Deluxe room with balcony and views of beautiful views Syon Park. I wish I had booked a long weekend here. The customer servise was wonderful. The room was very spacious, clean and the decor was very sexy. Best feature is the big bathroom with long bathtub (fits two people ;) TV and separate shower with rainfall features. The hotel looks like modern barns, very nice from outside hidden in the depth of Syon Park. We were given access to the private park which has a beautiful lake running though it. So private the my wife and I had the entire park to our selve.

• Stayed May 2013
SaschaKoehler, General Manager at Hilton London Syon Park, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback it is very much appreciated.

I am happy to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and the team looked after you well. You are correct about the structure of the building, the concept was not only to fit in with the surroundings of the park but also to be in likeness of the old stables that used to be at Syon Park.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to London Syon Park.

Uxbridge, Middlesex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just returned home after having afternoon tea at this hotel. Not a very good experience, one of our party had a dirty cup and the tea was tea bags for the price we paid it should have been loose tea leaves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. Could I ask that you contact the Food & Beverage manager via email mark.thewlis@hilton.com, as we are interested in getting further feedback.

Sascha

Been to Hilton London Syon Park? Share your experiences!