“The Crown Jewel of Hotels.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Corinthia Hotel London

You added Corinthia Hotel London to your Saves list
Corinthia Hotel London
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whitehall Place, London SW1A 2BD, England (Westminster)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Weekend Wonder
Ranked #14 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Plymouth, Minnesota
“The Crown Jewel of Hotels.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel after reading (extensively) through the Trip Advisor reviews and then seeing another nod to it in Travel and Leisure magazine's top hotels in Europe - for which it was in the Top Tiering of all hotels in Europe and certainly in London. We had originally booked the Arch Hotel (which has similarly favorable reviews) but cancelled and booked here - and we were not disappointed. I had informed the hotel that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and we were surprised to see a nice little cake with "Happy Anniversary" written on it in our room along with a very nice gesture of welcoming us on our flat screen TV (with lovely music playing). We spent 6 nights at this property and it was by far one of the nicest places we have ever stayed internationally or in the United States (where we are from).

The rooms are impeccably clean and decorated in fine taste along with all the proper amenities, too. The bathroom is well manicured and I liked that the bathrooms were separate from the rain shower - which is unbelievable and perhaps one of the best showers I have seen in a hotel - - in terms of water pressure and rain shower quality (which it really does come from the ceiling - unlike other hotels where it is just a rain shower-like nozzle). The heated floors are truly differentiating and the bathtub is like a spatub, too. The bed was extremely comfortable (but firm - for those that like less than firm mattresses) and the other furniture was modern and new. We stayed on the 4th floor in an Executive King and there was virtually no sound at night and the shades make it almost light cancelling. I did hear that they had noise proofed the building - but this could be just hearsay. The hallway and common areas are all clean and well appointed. The lobby is beautiful - but I do agree with the other post - that it's a little odd to host afternoon tea and evening drinks in a space in which folks are passing through back to their rooms - it's a somewhat poor traffic set-up for such a luxurious hotel. I would not have had tea there for that very reason - as you feel like you are in the middle of something. The lobby courtyard was immaculate and it was nice to sit out there on nice evenings (they even turn the fireplace on for you - upon request). The staff in the Courtyard area was all very kind and helpful and service was fast and friendly.

The Concierge team was helpful - though I was surprised that they are all men ---- and I actually asked the Front Desk about this to confirm and they currently do not have any women on their Concierge staff - which I found extremely odd. I think that's one area in which they can improve their services - especially to have a different point of view of things from the opposite gender. Overall they were helpful in recommending certain things to do as well as restaurants (though I got the feeling that they may be just recommending certain restaurants and not themselves having even enjoyed or sampled them on their own). I would often cross-check their recommendations with YELP or TripAdvisor and was (after awhile) not surprised to find that their suggestions were not even in the top 50% of traveler recommended places to go. I was a lot happier with our dining selections when I researched those two sites vs. listened to the advice of the Concierge team in this area....so this was the one area in which I think the team could improve.

The Housekeeping service team was perhaps the most friendly that we encountered and they kept our room so clean that I felt bad if we made any mess. They literally sorted and folded all of our clothes and also straightened and put away any of our stuff! The turn down service is also amazing - as they provide still waters in glass bottles and world-class chocolates from Wm Curley. Overall - this was always a nice treat to come back in the evenings to a wonderfully appointed and clean room with chocolate!

The Front Desk was extremely friendly and helpful in checking us in for our stay and also helping us with currency exchange. They seem to be very welcoming to their guests along with the men that man the doors in top hats and help you find transportation or provide directions.

The location of the hotel is great -- it's walkable to Big Ben, Westminster, The River Thames/and boats/pier, Covent Garden, Picaddily Circus, SOHO, West End / Theater District, Buckingham Palace / St. James Park. It's a bit much to walk to Kensington, Notting Hill or Harrods from this location.

Overall - this is a wonderful place to stay and I could not imagine our trip to London being any better anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a charming review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London, we feel very privileged that you chose to spend your anniversary with us. We very much appreciate that you have highlighted all of the exceptional aspects that make the hotel special, the attention to detail employed by all of the teams, and the willingness to go the extra mile to make your anniversary stay so memorable. All of our beautifully-appointed rooms are finished with exquisite fixtures and fittings, with huge marble under-floor heated bathrooms with separate rain showers and large bathtubs with built in LCD-TVs, and both internal and external rooms are exceptionally quiet. I have forwarded your comments regarding the Concierge team to the Front of House Manager, thank you for bringing this anomaly to our attention, it is a very pertinent point. Equally we will pass on your compliments to the Housekeeping team, who maintain the hotel to exceptionally high levels of cleanliness and their extra small touches make everyone’s stay very special and unique. The hotel is ideally situated for the leisure traveller, with many of London’s must-see sights within walking distance, an adjacent transport hub for easy access around the city, and over thirty West End theatres within a mile radius. The team at Corinthia London are delighted that you and your husband could not imagine staying anywhere better, and we look forward to extending a warm welcome to you as a regular guest on your next visit.

Kind Regards, Matthew Dixon, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband surprised me with a trip to London for the last night of the Proms. We stayed in this wonderful hotel. From the moment we arrived we were greeted in a warm friendly manner, from the doorman to the receptionist. We were given a very quiet room which was spacious, clean and loved the tv in the ensuite. As it was my birthday the hotel sent me a chocolate cake which was delicious.
The only disappointing thing for me was the afternoon tea. My husband had booked this before we arrive at the hotel and it took him 4 phone calls to finally get it booked. Each time he phoned he was told someone would call him back and no one did. Finally he managed to book it, we went at our appointed time to find out that they had given our table to another couple who they thought was us. We ended up sitting at a tiny table in the middle of the room next to large groups of noisy ladies, hotel guests and waitresses constantly walking past our table. This was not the nice relaxing celebration my husband had expected. We asked for the mustard and horseradish to be removed from the sandwiches which wasn't a problem but meant we had to wait a while for our food to come as they needed to make the sandwiches up fresh. Surely you should be making the sandwiches fresh each time. Some of the sandwiches were a little stale and you could tell had been sitting out for a while. The scones were fantastic. There was a good variety of cakes but I would have liked there to be two of each seeing as there were two of us eating. We cut each one in half so we both could try them. Some were nice, some were a bit tasteless. On the whole I wouldn't take afternoon tea here again.
After the Proms we returned to the hotel and went to their cocktail bar. This was fantastic, lovely cocktails, live music, great atmosphere and attentive staff. We ordered some food which was very nice. Lovely way to unwind after a busy day.
Breakfast was great, we ordered from the menu so can't say what the food from the buffet was like.
I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to my friends. It is in a great location for sightseeing, shopping or going to shows.
Thank you to all the staff for a great experience and making my stay special.

Room Tip: We were in room 108, no view but very very quiet and great space.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London, what a delightful surprise to be given an unexpected stay for the last night of the Proms. We are really pleased to read that you were warmly welcomed and enjoyed your birthday surprise cake, especially as we always attempt to go the extra mile to delight every guest. We are equally very disappointed to read of your Afternoon Tea experience, and your review has been forwarded to the Food & Beverage Director, this does not meet with our Craftsmanship of Care policy or training, and we can only apologise that on this occasion we failed to live up to yours and our expectations. We very much appreciate your recommendation, and hope that on your next visit we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in Corinthia Hotel London, and make your next stay even more special.

Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The location of the hotel is brilliant and easy to find from Waterloo or embankment. Very clean and the chandelier is beautiful.

However on arrival no one was there to greet us and there is no obvious entrance to the lobby lounge. Also I know the name should have prepared me but you are sat in a lobby so the breeze from the doors opening made the experience cold and you felt very exposed by guests walking past you to go to their rooms.

The staff are very friendly but take a long time to get their attention if you needed more tea or the bill.

We had the champagne afternoon tea. And I had a vegetarian option. Which was great however when they brought desert I was asked if I was a 'picky' vegetarian as if not I could have all the deserts. I'm not 'picky' I just don't want to eat animal. That made me quite cross and uncomfortable.

The tea got cold very quickly and was not very flavourful. And we had to ask for this to be replaced which took a long time.

The cakes were beautiful but sadly did not taste as good as they appeared. The sandwiches were lovely however and you could have more. The champagne was also of a good standard.

Upon being served the cakes we were also given what we were told were goody bags. But they were just bags with advertising and pricing for the spa and hotel. Very poor and we left these behind.

I have had afternoon tea at quite a few places and therefore would not return here again as I feel there are better options for your money. The company I had made the afternoon enjoyable not the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your Afternoon Tea experience in the Lobby Lounge at Corinthia Hotel London. The hotel is ideally with quick and easy access to and from Embankment tube and Charing Cross rail stations, and just south of the Strand and next to the River Cruisers. The Housekeeping team have impeccable standards and maintain the hotel with meticulous cleaning. We are very pleased you think the one thousand and one Baccarat Full Moon crystal chandelier is beautiful, it was especially designed for the hotel by Chafik Gasmi, and makes a magnificent first impression. We are very disappointed to read that the rest of your experience was a disappointment and in this instance we failed to exceed your expectations. Your review has been forwarded to the Hotel Manager and Food & Beverage Director, who would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in Corinthia Hotel London if you would like to contact them directly. We look forward to hearing from you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

It was supposed to be a 5 night stay but it was so comfortable that we ended up staying for 2 weeks!

Very large rooms for London standard alone is a huge plus, but it comes with great bathroom and modern technology and facilities such as the Spa and a good business centre.

Even when there are hiccups, the management deals with them very graciously.

It is THE place to stay in London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for posting a super review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. All of our rooms are larger than standard for central London hotels, and come complete with big marble under-floor heated bathrooms with separate rain showers and huge baths with built-in LCD-TVs. The hotel has been designed to meet the needs of the twenty-first century traveller with the latest in modern technology including the fastest 1Gb complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the rooms and public areas, international socket point masterboards, and flat screen TVs with a selection of a hundred and fifty films to choose from. The complimentary Business Centre caters for every need of the modern business traveller, with use of computers, faxing and photo-copying services. ESPA Life at Corinthia is the next generation spa, with a twenty-four hour access state of the art gym, a stunning relaxing Thermal Floor, and seventeen treatment rooms. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay you extended your visit, and cannot wait to welcome you back as a regular guest.

Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We recently stayed in two connecting rooms with our three children. My husband has stayed for business travel so I wasn't sure how it would be for the whole family but I'm so glad we stayed here. The hotel is new and it shows. The rooms were beautifully decorated, had nespresso machines, and heated floors in the bathrooms. The kids had their own robes and slippers and treats every night. The rooms were also quite spacious. We ate at both restaurants and enjoyed them both, good service and really good food. They were expensive but you expect that. The kids used the pool once too, they had limited hours for kids which was a shame but I can understand its geared towards their spa guests. It was also quite nice. I really liked the location. Its on a quiet street but within a short walk you are in Trafalgar Square or can cross the river Thames and get to the Eye of London or the Waterloo train station which we took to Windsor Castle. We walked to Convent Garden too. I saw a lot of reviews about the staff but everyone we encountered seemed very professional and courteous. Perhaps not overly friendly but our every request was met. I definitely recommend staying at the Corinthia and hope to return on our next visit to London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We especially love welcoming families to the hotel, and it is ideal for combining both business and leisure stays. Many of our rooms are inter-connecting, or are large enough to accommodate extra beds, and we do not charge for children under twelve sharing their parents room. The Housekeeping team have sourced mini dressing-gowns and slippers, as well as Burt’s Bees toiletries just for children, and turndown treats include Cuddly Toys. ESPA Life at Corinthia has special morning and afternoon sessions when children may use the pool, so that both our adult guests and children may enjoy the facilities. The hotel is ideally situated within walking distance of many of London’s must-see sights, adjacent to a central transport hub for easy access around the city, and has over thirty West End theatres within a mile radius, as well as being near to some fabulous shopping destinations. We are really pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay and the team at Corinthia London look forward to welcoming you all on your return.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I booked the Corinthia Hotel as a surprise for my partner due to it's good reviews and great location. The hotel lounge, seating areas, bars and dining rooms are beautiful. The artwork and flowers are stunning.
Our room was amazing - true luxury. Every attention to detail; beautiful bedding, towels, robes, toiletries etc. Subtle lighting, mood music, fresh flowers - it was a very romantic place to stay.
The spa was like something from a film - stunningly beautiful and soooo relaxing.
Each member of staff we came across was courteous, professional and helpful.

The only thing that let the hotel down was the cost. When I paid almost £300 for the room I presumed it would include breakfast. Mistake. Breakfast cost an extra £32 each!! Admittedly it was very good - and so it should have been at that price! Drinks at the bar are also extortionately priced. And don't for one moment think the nuts/chocolates etc in the room are complimentary! We opened a jar of nuts - and found a £9 charge on the bill!!

All in all we enjoyed our stay very much, and would recommend. Just be aware of the hidden costs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. The beautiful hotel was designed by GA Designs, who have paid meticulous attention to detail and created a truly stunning hotel, complimented by the fabulous flower arrangements throughout the building. All of our rooms are furnished with the very best quality fixtures and fittings, including Pratesi bed linens, Frette towels, Hypnos mattresses, ESPA toiletries, and a Nespresso coffee machine as standard. We are really pleased you managed to enjoy the use of ESPA Life at Corinthia spa, with seventeen luxurious treatment rooms, a state-of-the-art gym and a Thermal Floor with swimming pool and vitality massage pool, it really is a must-do indulgence when staying at the hotel. The extensive buffet breakfast served in The Northall caters for every taste, with a selection of dishes from healthy organic cereals, fruits, yoghurts, and homemade juices to a Full English, cold meat and fish platters, and a selection of freshly-baked pastries. Thank you for your recommendation, and we very much look forward to welcoming you and your partner on your next visit.

Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It looks five or even six stars but the place and sadly the staff were without spirit. First impression was amazing but what we discovered behind the curtain was a huge disappointment. We decided to stay overnight and also had an afternoon tea which they claim to be one of the best in town. We were ignored all the time by everyone. There were just very few staff who had no idea what was going on. Stressed, rushing and frustrated...I feel bad by writing such a bad review but just wanted to warn the others who plan to spend their hardly earned money for such a "treat".
There is something wrong how the place is run. It is not my priviledge to judge these poor guys anyway. However the selection was very good and the only down were sandwiches. It`s a shame because the place is beautifuly designed and has a great potential.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. I am very disappointed to read your feedback and comments and would like to address your issues personally, please could you contact me directly, when I could have the opportunity to restore your faith in Corinthia Hotel London.

Kind Regards, Matthew Dixon, General Manager.

Been to Corinthia Hotel London? Share your experiences!