“Though it would be my worst hostel experience and it was not!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Strand Continental

You added Hotel Strand Continental to your Saves list
Hotel Strand Continental
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   143 Strand, London WC2R 1JA, England (Trafalgar Square / Embankment)   |
Ranked #307 of 529 London B&B and Inns
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Though it would be my worst hostel experience and it was not!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I needed a cheap one night accommodation in Central London. I did not require much more than a bed to get a little bit of sleep and a bathroom to wash my face. I found the Strand Continental as it had the most convenient location in the very centre of London. After reading the awful reviews I searched some other hostels but they had equally horrible reviews. I then decided that I would go for it and have the most horrible hostel experience in my life so that I can stay away from hostels from then on. I even chose a three-bed dorm.

To my suprise, it was not as bad. I got a good night sleep, did not get robbed by flatmates and the toilets and washbasins were not revolting.

Although £25 appears to me as a slightly higher price than what I would pay for this, it is probably understandable given the location.

So my experince showed me that it is okay to stay in cheap hostels as long as you have reasonable expectations. That is a bed and usable bathroom. I realize that much of one's experience depends on what people you share a room with. I was lucky to share a room with two fine young people. But then I believe you must get really unlucky to share a room with a person that acts unapropriately as most of the hostel-travellers are just humble students.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

The room I stayed in was filthy. The linen was used and it smelt revolting. I have never experienced such dreadful living conditions and have taken photos as proof.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I was not shure this would be a good experience because of the reviews on this site and the low price. But I was suprized by the nice staff, clean toilets and showers and a very acceptable room.

If you want something cheap in central London this is a very good option. You have to put on your own sheets, but for the price you get more than you pay for.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We paid around £80 for this hotel, which although is not a lot for central London, I was expecting a slightly better place!
Pros: The room was generally clean (bedding, sink etc.) although carpets were filthy!
The location is excellent.
Cons: Beds were terrible with springs sticking through. Kettle was there but no plug anywhere near the cupboards etc so had to hold kettle whilst it boiled over the bed! (plug by bed). Walls like paper - could hear people in next room talking and doors have a very noisy bang when they shut! Breakfast v minimal in fact just 1 slice of toast there when we went down (decided to go out!)/
Would NOT stay here again as could probably find somewhere else for a little bit more money, that's a million times better!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

For the money I wasn't expecting four star accomodation but what we did get was absolutely appalling the room was 5+ floors away with no lift so you needed to be athlete fit to reach your room on arrival we were given bedding so that we could make our own bed (obviously no chamber maids) The beds were awful as was the shared bathrooms The room was dire with curtains that would have been better to be absent rather than hanging on by a couple of hooks looking like blankets thrown up at the window . The previos occupants of the room had more facilities laid on as we found traps for cockroaches under the beds. All in all should have gone elsewhere but would have lost deposit which should have been refundable on the grounds of false advertising.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We booked one nights stay here and truly regret it. For the price we were not expecting anything special but we had to share single beds because the manager stuck 16 of us into 8 dirty beds and would NOT give us a discount even though he DOUBLE BOOKED the rooms.
This place is totally awful. The building is run down, unsafe, dirty, smelly and the manager does not give a toss about his customers. The shower "room" is roughly the same size as a phone box and had no hooks to hangs a towel or anything else on. There is a mouldy old shower curtain and a shower head with a leaking hose, again with no bracket on the wall to hold it so showering is not fun at all. All your stuff gets soaked.
The place is stinks, the rooms are totally minging and they put MOUSE TRAPS UNDER THE BEDS!!!
The fire alarm system had a fault on it so they had simply SWITCHED IT OFF!!!! (cheaper than having it fixed)
DO NOT RISK IT, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE, YOU MAY CATCH SOMETHING IF YOU STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would have stayed somewhere else but as we had no idea our rooms were double booked we were forced to stay as everywhere else in the area was fully booked. I would have gladly slept on a park bench had it not been totally freezing outside!
I hope the health and safety decide to stay here sometime soon!!!

• Stayed November 2010
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

This place is a dump. Wasn't expecting much from a place so central and Cheap in London but I was expecting the rooms, shared toilets and to be cleaned, the toilets to actually flush and my belongings to be safe when in my locked room. According to management, I was expecting too much...
For the anecdote : Me and my friends spent one night there and we were spread accross three rooms. We left the rooms for th evening to find we'd had all our electronical goods stolen. The door was still locked so obviously this was taken by someone who has a key. People seem to wander from room to room stealing whatever isthere WITH A KEY to the rooms but the hotel manager is adament his security is good.
Add on to that dirty bed sheets, dirty rooms, no lifts, disgusting breakfast, rude and unpleasant management and useless staff, shared toilets that do not flush (no intention from the staff to repair them), noisy.... Next time, I'll sacrifice location and spend 5 extra minutes in the tube.

My advice go any place else. This night cost me close to 2K and I could have had a much nicer room anywhere for that price !

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Strand Continental? Share your experiences!