“A modern, clean, comfy hotel... but, staff weren't as professional as expected for an international big brand...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill

You added Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   142 Minories, London EC3N 1LS, England (East End / East London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #53 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Must say, the rooms, the style, the bed, the facilities... were all what I expected if not more... however, I thought the hotel staff could be more professional especailly for a big international name-brand hotel...

Due to confusions between the hotel and booking.com, I arrived at the hotel close to mid-night and was told that my booking was canceled! Hotel staff tried to throw the problem to booking.com (where I booked this hotel) and tried to blame it on me for not double checking on my booking (which I thought was very unreasonable because I had all the details form booking.com in my e-mail, and there were no reason for me to "double" check my booking). (I should called booking.com immediately at this point but I was too nice to wait for hotel staff to sort things out first..... )

According to the hotel staff, ALL the rooms were booked that night and I only had two choices. One is to stay at a room someone already checked-in and immediately checked-out, and is apparently, "VERY DIRTY," according to the front desk staff. I was told that there were no housekeeping at the time to clean the room (is it normal for hotels not to have a housekeeping staff at certain hours??) so the front desk staff will need to clean it himself and it'll take awhile; OR, to try to move me to another hotel, but will also take awhile since all the hotels were very full at the area. Having two very bad choices, I asked if they could do both at the same time and see whichever can be done first but was told I must choose one of the options since there were only 2 staff that night and they still have many other work to do... so I asked them to just find another hotel for me (staying at a VERY DIRTY room is just out of the question).

While I wait for them to sort things out, one of the staff told me if I'd like to see the VERY DIRTY room first, I said okay, thinking I don't have much choices and it's already mid-night. Surprisingly and strangly, the room was actually not dirty at all. The bed was never opened, but it did felt like someone had been there. With no progress on finding another hotel, I agreed to take that room, and asked them to at least clean the bathroom and bring new towels.

While waiting for the staff to clean the bathroom and change towels, I called booking.com to ask them about the situation. Booking.com were very nice and said they'd call the hotel right away to have things sort out. After hanging up with booking.com, I told the front desk that they'll be recieving a phone call, but instead, the staff told me booking.com's already faxed him and everything will be sorted out the next day. The hotel staff told me I was "very lucky" that there were still one room left, which I thought was very incensitive and inconsiderate, because, I DID BOOK A ROOM, and it's NOT luck. If anything, I should be UNLUCKY that this happened to me.

Although they did provide me a room to stay that night, despite the nice room, I was still very uncomfortable knowing it's only half-cleand. I was upgraded to a better room for the next 2 days of my stay.

Besides, my arrival incident mentioned above, the hotel never answered my e-mail regarding informaion about adding an extra bed (so I had to call internationl to find out), and giving me direction to go to a market that was closed on Sunday....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for the detailed feedback.
I will not offer you futile excuses for the inappropriate comments emanating from our night staff.
It is blatantly clear that we failed on that occasion to deliver inspired service and for this please accept my most sincere apologies. I can assure you this was an isolated incident and that the rectification process on our communications has been evoked. Let me assure you that this incident it does not represent the hotel’s overall service culture which is one of our core strengths.
All of us at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill put great value on feedback believing to be one of the true measures of success and for having teh opportunity to share your experiences in person with us we are grateful. I would like to believe this unfortunate experience will not mar your faith in us and that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nyon, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Nice hotel, excellent experience, pleasant stuff

Hotel Indigo reminded me of Hidden hotel in Paris. The same charming atmosphere and you feel that you discovered a hidden gem! The stuff is well trained and they know how to make you feel comfortable around them!
Rooms are excellent clean, brand new, beautiful design, complimentary snacks in the refrigerator. I will ALWAYS stay there when in London on a business trip. I used to stay in Club Quarters not anymore!
I just wish for customers not be careless and take a little care of the rooms… so it will last in a great condition for a long time (:
Thank you for having this hotel around

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
What an endorcement! We love hearing we are your destination of choice when in London.
Please spread the "word"....and come back soon. We love to see you again soon.
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Stayed recently for weekend trip with wife. Over last 10 years or so have stayed at dozens of ICH properties across the globe and can comfortably say this hotel was one of the best across all their brands. Very well located with two tube stations within a couple of minutes walk. Check in was very slick, friendly and fortunately for us included an upgrade to a lovely corner suite as we are platinum members, all at 10.30 in the morning! Suite was excellent, very modern decor, white leather furniture, open brick walls, wooden flooring, very comfortable four poster bed and complimentary drinks and snacks in the mini fridge. Local area was nice and quiet over the weekend although would imagine would be busier in week. Some decent pubs and bars in area and tower bridge/Tower of London within 5 minutes walk. Didnt eat in restaurant but had a couple of drinks in vault bar where staff were friendly and attentive. In all a very positive experience for first visit to Hotel Indigo, staff were great and room modern but very comfortable. A great boutique hotel with personality from the king of chain hotels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic feedback! Our hearts are warmed with the thought that you have so enjoyed your stay with us.
I agree with you, Hotel Indigo London - Tower Hill is something special, a class apart from many ICH properties... a hidden gem!
We all look forward to welcoming you here again in the near future. I would recommend you to try our new menu in our Square Mile restaurant. It has already achieved a loyal following among the locals...
Haarlem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights, during check-in we got upgraded to an executive room, nice! The room was big and perfectly clean. Our room had a wooden floor, a huge painting and a cool looking brick-wall. The bed was really comfy and you can choose from a few pillows. Great bathroom with a nice rain-shower and plenty toiletries. Free mini-bar is filled with soda, chocolates, water etc. Nespresso was nice as-well. Wifi is free too, but you need some kind of card to login for 24hours. Good location, quiet and it's about 2 minute walk to the underground or bus. Wine and Foodstores are nearby. Staff was friendly and helped us with directions and getting a cab etc. We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed October 2010
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you for your nice comments. We are all so pleased you have enjoyed both our rooms and our hospitality. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
E Anglia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Stayed for one night here without knowing too much about the hotel but very pleasantly surprised.

Excellent check in staff who were very helpful.

Room was excellent - fittings so new we got fluff off the rug. Bed was easily the most comfortable I have ever slept in in a hotel and a super size. Bathroom had modern quirky fittings and a wetroom all excellent.

Plenty of places to eat and drink in the surrounding area. We felt there was no need to travel away from the area despite the excellent travel from both Tower Hill and Aldgate.

Nicely different hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Many thanks for a great feedback! .
I agree there are so many culinary atractions in the vicinity, but none more so than our very own Square Mile Kitchen & Lounge. We just launched a new menu with great initial feedback, so come down and give it a try.
We would love to see you back at our hotel.
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Have been to London twice this year and stayed in Travelodge Covent Garden.This hotel is in a differant league and for not much more money,We will definatly be staying here again.
The front desk staff were extremly helpfull prior to stay and arranged for Bubbly and Flowers on arrival for the wifes birthday as requested
The hotel is new so would not expect any wear and tear as yet,the room was excellent and the decor great - also the best nights sleep in a hotel bed ever ! so comfortable.
We dined in the hotel resturant on the first night - simple menu and really nice food, did not have breakfast during our stay so unable to comment,Bar /lounge downstairs very pleasant.
Plenty of bars and resturants nearby if required - reccommend the Thai just down the rd.
All the staff we dealt with were a pleasure to deal with.
One small niggle, the corridors outside the rooms were way to hot - sweating before i got to lift ! we were on the 4th floor assume the other levels the same.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
GM18, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Thank you for a great feedback!
With regards to the corridor temperature, we are currently examining how to best address this issue.
We are pleased you have enjoyed both our hospitality and food. While we are talking about food... we have just launched a new menu for Square Mile kitchen & Lounge with more choices than before, same locally sourced fresh ingredients but with greater Italian culinary influences yet equally great VFM as before, so come and try it out soon.
hindhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We booked the Hotel Indigo Tower Hill for two nights on October 1st as a base to celebrate my wife's 40th. We booked our stay through booking.com, not direct with the hotel group and saved a small amount of money from their list price.

The hotel is located close to Aldgate station (150yds) and Aldgate bus terminal (150yds also). The main road 200yds away meant black cabs were also easy to find.

On arrival we were met by a friendly reception team who told me there might have been a problem with our booking as our operator had booked 2 rooms for 1 night rather than 1 room for 2. It might have been a problem if it was very busy but they made very swift work of correcting it and gave us an upgrade for the inconvenience. They were unaware of my wife's birthday so it was a genuinely nice gesture to do so.

The room was great - much larger than the standard London 'box' with wet room and funky fittings and details. REALLY comfy bed, too.

We've stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels around the city and I have to admit to being impressed. You got the feeling that nothing would be too much trouble.

There is a restaurant but I couldn't justify the £17 for full English. I have friends who work here in the City on silly money who say it is good value but I just can't bring myself to do it! Comparibly to other hotels nearby, it is on a similar price for food items. I don't know, maybe I'm just tight! Don't let this put you off though - really worth a try as the difference in price to other 4 star hotels puts this Hotel firmly into contention every time. Also - the City is dead at the weekend - no drunken revellers and dustmen outside your window at 6am!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a great endorsement! We would love to have you back with us sometime soon!

Been to Hotel Indigo London Tower Hill? Share your experiences!