“A spotlessly clean hotel within a very short walking distance of Kings Cross Station” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Judd Hotel

You added Judd Hotel to your Saves list
Judd Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   46 Cartwright Gardens | Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EL, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #238 of 524 London B&B and Inns
Aberdeenshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We stayed here last night because it was close to Kings Cross where we were catching a train home the next day.
Our room in the basement was spotlessly clean and newly refurbished, as is, I think, the whole hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. The en-suite bathroom was immaculate with a good quality shower. The TV had good reception. The room itself was not large, but this was not an issue for us.
Breakfast was served in an airy room in the basement. I might have liked to have seen some tomatoes or mushrooms along with the cooked breakfast, but it was adequate.
Staff were very pleasant.
This hotel, in such a central location, was excellent value for money and we'd be happy to stay there any time we are in London.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Booked a triple room which was VERY small. There was little room between the beds and one could only go passed at a time the others had to move out of the way. The bathroom was OK - shower very hot but you had to make sure the wardrobe door remained closed while inside or you would have been trapped inside. Location was good. Staff friendly enough. Breakfast could have been more organised tables again very close together with not much room to move. Had to hand key in every time you ventured outside which was a bit of a pain. Very noisy during the night with people coming in and out of the hotel and when staff were setting the breakfast tables it was very noisy. No net curtains on basement windows. Would possibly return to this hotel but definately not with 3 people as we felt it was too cramped..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights as a stop over for the weekend whilst working away, got my partner a niece to come for a break with me. I had booked a tripple room. First of all, the location. Fantastic area and very convenient. Have stayed around here before and thought I would give this new hotel a whirl. Good impression when I first arrived. Clean and staff very friendly. However, the room was incredibly small and for three people, hard to manage with only a small space for clothes and a tiny bathroom with a (very) compact shower, toilet and sink. We also really struggled with noise in this room as not only was it under the reception area (which has wooden floors) meaning you can hear all commings and goings above you, but it is also opposite the breakfast room. There is also a door down the back of this room which the staff use to get into the yard area and not only does the door constantly slam, but the staff using it in the early hours of the morning regularly have lovely chats down there oblivious to the fact that it is 7 in the morning and people are trying to sleep. I did speak to the manager about the noise, particularly the fact that the slamming door shakes the bedroom wall, but after speaking to 2 various people at the front desk and 4 separate members of staff, all of whom were adamant that it would be sorted out, this issue was not addressed and we got little sleep.

Breakfast was very good in terms of the quality of the food. However, was chaos largely due to poor organisation, tables not cleared and re-set to cater for all the guests and food often running out meaning a long stand and wait and then a mad dash to get to what is then brought out before everyone else gets there first. On the second day, I laid my own table, got my own cutlery, plates and coffee and waited a good 10 minutes for food to arrive.

I was really dioappointed by my stay here which is a real shame because the hotel has great potential given it's location. However, the issues I have indicated above will mean that I will be less likely to return

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Juddhotel, Manager at Judd Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you to 'Coatgirls' for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We always welcome feedback whether negeative or positive as this gives us a chance to rectify some of the issues raised.
Being a central London hotel space is at a premium. We have tried to include everything in the rooms to make our guests stay with us as comfortable as possible. We do agree in some rooms there is a lack of space to store luggage. We have tried to combat this buy purchasing specially built beds with storage space underneath for a large suitcase or two. These beds are in 99% of our rooms and have proved a great success with the majority of our guests as it frees up a lot of floor space.
The fire doors closing loudly has been rectified also. This was caused by the closing mechanism being under too much tension. They now close much slower and without a bang. I am sorry the issue wasnt resolved during 'Coatgirls' stay and can only apologise for any discomfort caused byt the doors. As with all major building projects things don't always run as smoothly as one would like.
The builders who were chatting outside the window at 07.00 have now left the premises as all the major refurbishment work has been completed. There are still one or two oustanding jobs to be done but they are started after 08.00 and are well away from the guest areas.
The breakfast was a little chaotic during the first 10 days. We have a mixture of old staff and new recruits in a new building with all new appliances. Even with many practice runs before the hotel opened it's doors, you can not predict how things are going to pan out and therefore a little confusion from is inevitable. We since used this review in training sessions with the staff to help them see things from a guests perspective. As a result breakfast service is now less chaotic and the staff are more efficient.
We continue to improve each day as a hotel and as a team due to feedback from our guests.
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Stayed 4 days at the Judd Hotel while attending a conference at University College, London. This was a very convenient location to UCL. Also a very short walk to Russell Square tube, also a short walk to Euston or Kings Cross/St. Pancras and the Bloomsbury area attractions like the British Museum and the British Library.

The hotel appears very new. The rooms are very nicely finished. Great bed and pillows. Air conditioning was wonderful during a brief hot spell. The location on Cartwright Garden is quiet, but it helps that you don't have to worry about street noise. Breakfast buffet was limited menu but just fine. Front desk manned 24/7. Management very helpful.

My only problem was that the room is extremely small. This isn't the smallest room I've stayed in in London, but it is a little claustrophobic for two people when you aren't asleep. However, for the price, I'd definitely stay again if I needed a central London location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I stayed at The Judd for two nights in June. The hotel had only recently opened and you could smell fresh paint everywhere - although the beautiful lilies in the hallway did help mask it! Check-in was friendly and efficient, courtesy of the manager (Mark).

When I made the booking I did ask for one of their nicer rooms, as it was a special occasion (I only get to see my girlfriend every few months); however I don't think they noticed this request. I asked if I could change the room to one which at least had a bed you could get out of on both sides (!) but they said they were full so couldn't change it for me. Oh well.

The entrance hall and lobby are beautifully decorated in off-white, but my room was a really weird terracotta colour, which took some getting used to! Storage and floor space was also minimal, but I guess this is typical of a central London hotel in this price range. The bathroom was very nice though.

Breakfast is included and was plentiful and tasty - and top marks for the sausages which were far superior to most hotel sausages I've had!

What really made our stay was how the manager very kindly accommodated my request to use the breakfast room for a meeting I was having in the afternoon: he even laid on tea and coffee at no charge, and happily showed my 'guests' downstairs. That was really appreciated.

We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Judd again - as long as we could have a bed we could walk around next time! It's a nice friendly place, perfectly located, and with great staff. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Judd Hotel? Share your experiences!