“Best Cheesecake in the world bar none” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Steakhouse

JW Steakhouse
86 Park Lane | Grosvenor House Hotel, London W1K 7TN, England (Mayfair)
020 7399 8460
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
JW Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #573 of 17,041 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Kildare, Ireland
“Best Cheesecake in the world bar none”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The restaurant is amazing, service, atmosphere, ambience, efficency. the food was supberb, the breads are georgous. the drinks menu is fantastic.....the coffee is excellent......but the cheesecake is totally sinful........i am so particular about food, but i could not fault anything.....i will fly to london again soon just for the cheesecake....:)

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your review of the JW Steakhouse.

I am most pleased to read that you had a wonderful dining experience and all aspects met your expectations.

I do have to agree, the cheesecake is a very popular option to round off your dining experience!

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Sincerly,

Sofia, Bulgaria
“Steak Night - Belated Valentine Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

For a romantic meal one week after Valentine's Day, we decided to go to JW's Steakhouse and treat ourselves for a night out.

The welcome was warm, the waitress was friendly and the venue was nicely spread out and lit to create a warm ambiance.

We did not try any starters, but opted to go straight for the main courses.

10oz NY Strip & 14oz Angus Ribeye were our choices, along with hand cut chips, au gratin potatoes, mushrooms and roasted vegetables, finished with the Red Wine and Peppercorn sauces.

For 2 people, this was a true feast!!

I expected the side dishes to be small, which is why we ordered so many, but I could not finish the chips or vegetables, and the G/F only just managed to finish her sides (after dumping half on my plate!)

The sides are expensive, and in the future, we would share just 2, but the steaks were what we came for.

Overall - They were great. No fat bits or gristle and cooked exactly how we wanted them.

The bill came to 100 GBP exactly, and with the discretionary tip of 12.5%, made for an expensive treat, but I knew this before going and so was no problem for me.

We both enjoyed the experience, and in the future, would visit again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food - if very American, ok service, questionable value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My wife and I arrived at the hotel quite late and very wet (it was a tube strike day) so we decided to have a quiet night in the hotel. We ate in the steakhouse. We had to wait for a table - the hotel was fully booked. My wife dropped her drink in the bar whilst we were waiting for our table - the staff were superb - they cleaned everything up and renewed he drink (at no charge) - we were impressed.

We had a one course / one glass of wine each meal - we both has the oscar steak. The steak was good. The roasted vegetables were excellent as was the potatoes dauphinoise. I had the bourbon sweet potatoes - they were far too sweet - I should have known they would be sweetened beyond belief as I so spend quite a bit of tine in the US. The service was average - the waiting staff didn't notice I had finished my water and didn't top it up.

It was not good value for money - 2 G&Ts, 2 steaks with sides and 2 glasses of wine plus the obligatory 12.5% service charge was £165 - so an expensive quiet night in given the whole experience was no better than average. This place seems very much geared to the US market although I've eaten in much better places in the US.

Visited February 2014
Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations from you most recent visit in JW Steakhouse.

I am sorry to learn that you felt the meal overall was not up to your expectations, and in particular I am disappointed to learn that the service team did not pay as close attention to your table as they should have. Clearly this is not the service standards we are proud of and as you can see from other postings it is not what the JW Steakhouse is known to provide.

I am, however, delighted to learn that the team in the Bourbon Bar went above and beyond during your pre-dinner cocktails. I will make sure to share your feedback with the bar team personally.

On a side note, please note that although it is a common practice among establishments on Park Lane to add a service charge to all checks, this charge is discretionary. Please feel free to contact me to make arrangements to make the appropriate refund of this charge.

Please do let me know if you should return to Grosvenor House and the JW Steakhouse so that I may ensure you have a most enjoyable visit.

“Fantastic ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is my second visit to JW steakhouse for drinks, we came for a friend's birthday and it's still fantastic. Our bar tender Peter who we had before remember myself which was nice and offered us great service and superb drinks once again. He truely is a fantastic asset to your team! I loved the I pads with the drinks menu on however I would of liked to be able to read the restaurant menu of the I pad aswell. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Trip Advisor. It was a great pleasure having you as our guest in the Bourbon Bar. We are extremely proud of the unique selection of more than 140 Bourbons - and if I am not mistaken this is the largest selection in London.

Thank you for your positive feedback about your visit and especially the service that Peter provided. It is evident that he went above and beyond to make your visit a memorable one and I am very proud to have him as part of our team.

I am looking forward to welcome you back to London’s best Bourbon Bar!

Warm Regards
London, United Kingdom
“Average place with very average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Half full on a Saturday night when everywhere else in the area has a waiting list says it all...I had the oscar fillet for £40 eat a 1/4 of it was not tender or juicy waitress was not bothered and told me they are kept frozen that's why!! 34 or cut are far superior and in walking distance

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Morten S, Hotel Manager at JW Steakhouse, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear John T,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations from your recent visit to JW Steakhouse. It is regrettable that you did not seem to have had the opportunity to enjoy the high quality of service and steak quality that we are known to provide. I can with full confidence confirm that all of our steaks are fresh and procured directly from one of London's reputable butchers. It is my firm belief that JW Steakhouse would not have achieved the loyal following of locals and visitors alike without ensuring the highest quality of cuts. I am surprised that any member of the JW Steakhouse team would have given you this impression and will personally follow up on this.

Regardless of the incorrect information provided, I am disappointed that you did not get to enjoy the quality that your peers on Trip Advisor overwhelmingly provide positive feedback on. I am at your disposal should you wish to provide additional feedback about your visit.

Yours Sincerely,