“Didn't expect it to be that good!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Viajante - CLOSED

Viajante
Patriot Square | Bethnal Green, London E2 9NF, England (East End / East London)
+44 (0) 20 7871 0461
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Cross street: Patriot Square
Transit: TUBE 3 minutes walk to Bethnal Green tube on the Central Line (between Bethnal Green Road and Hackney Road). Take the 1st exit on the right hand side of the station, walk straight up Cambridge Heath Rd. TRAIN 2 minutes walk from Cambridge Heath Road overground (5 minutes from Liverpool Street) BUSES 26, 48, 55, 106, 254, 309, 388, 394,D3
Description: Viajante offers a blind style tasting menu of 3, 6, or 9 courses for lunch and 6 or 12 courses for dinner. Menus are based on the seasonal availability of produce and on the diner's dietary restrictions. Lunch is served Wendnesday to Sunday: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pmDinner is served Monday to Sunday: 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Didn't expect it to be that good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Viajante has never really been on my radar being slightly further out. However we booked after not being able to get a table almost anywhere else in London, we didn't have too high expectations, but still expected a good meal.
Which we got in abundance!
Very trendy servers who do a fantasic job.
We went for the 9 courses, and if I had to do the six courses I couldn't choose any of my dishes that I wouldn't want, which in a tasting menu I think is really saying something.
The food was just so full of flavours and so well done. It is serious food delicately done.
Again some people want meals rather than this sort of thing. But I loved it.
So unexpected and great that when you want a really nice xmas-time meal that you get one!

Tip-if you want to see the open kitchen then ask when booking as one area some people can't see it, but that didn't bother me in the slightest.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Super interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had the twelve course tasting menu with wine accompaniment. Certainly, it's the most interesting food I've ever had. Which is not necessarily the same as the most enjoyable. Each course was a culinary experiment, from his famous "milk three ways" desert, or three courses of cod, spread over the evening, because Portugal is famous for it's cod. The courses were small, served on rocks, in special bowls, or to be eaten with the fingers.
Nuno (the chef) presents some of the courses himself, and he's really sweet and passionate. All the staff were attentive and friendly. We had a view right into the kitchen and enjoyed watching the process. By the end we were really satisfied. Where some courses weren't really to our taste, or maybe even put process before end result, it was still worth the experience. If you're going for hearty comfort food, this is not the place for you.
For me, the wine pairing was one of the highlights, with an intricate story of each wine, what makes it unique, and how they came across it. Really knowledgable and enjoyable.
I'm not rushing back, but we did like the experience overall, and we're happy to tick that box of gastronomic cooking. Well worth a visit.
Love the building as well, and the cocktail bar next door to end off the evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lisbon, Portugal
“over rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

After a careful analysis and comparison with other previous degustation experiences, in similar restaurants, this experience wasn’t the best, very far from it.
The ambience:
The austere building doesn’t match with the waiters, that look like trendy pop stars albeit the dark casual uniform. The decoration was simple but too ascetic and, above all, the acoustic was terrible and the space very noisy even if only a few tables were occupied. If one wants to exercise the palate and the eyes the other senses must not be perturbed with loudly and inappropriate music.
The service:
I couldn’t count all the waiters since for each dish there was a different one, what doesn’t help in consistency of service. They were as parrots with a memorized cassette and run away as soon as they deliver the speech. Even the Portuguese girl could only explain the plates in English!!! Sometimes we have to ask to repeat it to understand properly what they have said and it was impossible to know more details about the plates. Of course they were not obliged to know, but should have asked to the chefs.
We were looking forward to meet the famous Nuno Mendes but…no sign of him, nor any other chef or member of the cuisine team. It was Sunday so maybe that was the reason for his absence. This is very impolite for a restaurant of this kind, where the encounter with the chef(s) is part of the degustation experience.
The menu:
We had the 6 courses menu, without wine pairing.
The water tasted like tap water …..in a bottle. No problem, but…they charged 1£ (!!!) for it and some people might dislike tap water. Presently in common good restaurants (no need to be Michelin) they have even a list of different markers of waters. The Portuguese wine we choose was excellent (as almost any Portuguese wine, of course!) and the less expensive one: Quinta de Chocapalha 2010, Lisboa.
There was a redundancy of tastes and ingredients and some dishes tasted almost the same: ”fumeiro” (smoke) and olive oil. Besides, the same ingredient was used repeatedly: chicken skin (at least in two dishes) and milk (at least in three dishes). Diversity wasn’t “the name of the game”. The best amuse bouch was ameijoa à bolhão pato, a typical Portuguese dish created in honor of the Portuguese poet Bulhão Pato; the worse was Yeast and potatoes. The best dish was Iberico pluma with fermented leek and walnuts but the pork was row in the middle, what should always be avoided with pork meat. However, there was an overwhelm of leeks and the taste of it stayed for long. The worse was carrot with butter milk and horseradish. I couldn´t eat it due to the intense and prickly taste. I am Portuguese so I like sea food and fish and those where OK. The desert was milk, milk and simply milk and honestly unlucky, specially the petit fours.
One last thing, the degustation menus are, usually, small portions of several dishes but in this restaurant they exaggerated the “small is beautiful” concept. The Bulhão Pato ameijoas was one (!) per person!! Ameijoas are not oysters as we all know!
I have been to a few degustation restaurants in Portugal and Spain. I am a fan of some, more popular, Portuguese chefs: the great Luis Baena, the Michelliner Avilez, Henrique Sá Pessoa, I appreciate molecular gastronomy so I felt disappointed with this experience.
For 134 £/person and a Michelin star, we were expecting much better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“When a cocktail is just vodka and orange”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

When a friend wanted cocktails for her birthday there were lots of suggestions and Viajante was chosen mainly for location.
The cocktail menu was minimal with just spirits listed we were told the bar man would make what we wanted, but when a friend asked for a Sally Cinamon she was told no. So chose gin and was served basically a gin and tonic with lots of lime jiuce in.
I asked for a vodka based cocktail and after a good wait was given a sshort glass with vodka and a slice of orange, surely not I thought so asked the very smiley waiter having checked with the cocktail waiter he confirmed it was vodka, orange liquer and bitters, for £10 in a short glass.
One (super polite) friend said her dirty martini was 'intersting' a couple more people tried it and were more blunt in calling it disgusting, vodka with olive water brine.
They did change it and she said it was better but we all decided one was enough and left.
If you are going out for cocktails there are lots of better places than here, disappointing

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious and an intriguing venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My friend and I had the 9-course tasting menu with pairing wines. They also brought several appetisers which were tiny but beautiful and very tasty. The staff were on hand and helpful but not over-powering in their presence. Wines very distinct and fitting to menu. The courses were truly 'tasting' in terms of size but also some amazing combinations such as crab with chicken skin or granita with cucumber and reduced milk. We felt comfortably full by the end of our supper (which lasted over 3 hours!). The tables are relatively close to each other and couldn't be much closer without you feeling uncomfortable but the background music and hum of the place meant we still felt we had privacy. It is worth going in through the main hotel lobby to get a look at the building which has been well maintained and is very beautiful. Trip to the loo also takes you through the bar which I will definitely stop in to for a drink next time I come. Would thoroughly recommend this as an off-beat, fun and delicious choice from the Michelin options in London.