“one of the worst restaurant of my life” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Viajante - CLOSED

Viajante
Patriot Square | Bethnal Green, London E2 9NF, England (East End / East London)
+44 (0) 20 7871 0461
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Cross street: Patriot Square
Transit: TUBE 3 minutes walk to Bethnal Green tube on the Central Line (between Bethnal Green Road and Hackney Road). Take the 1st exit on the right hand side of the station, walk straight up Cambridge Heath Rd. TRAIN 2 minutes walk from Cambridge Heath Road overground (5 minutes from Liverpool Street) BUSES 26, 48, 55, 106, 254, 309, 388, 394,D3
Description: Viajante offers a blind style tasting menu of 3, 6, or 9 courses for lunch and 6 or 12 courses for dinner. Menus are based on the seasonal availability of produce and on the diner's dietary restrictions. Lunch is served Wendnesday to Sunday: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pmDinner is served Monday to Sunday: 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Florence, Italy
“one of the worst restaurant of my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I felt the urgency to write just an hour after having leaved the restaurant: I and other three guests spent two and a half hours chosing the 6 course menu and we were offered by a few black dressed waiters no more than an square inch food for each course. A total confusion (improperly called fusion) between meet and fish.
At least fifteeen minutes between one dish and another. Really an upsetting place for peple who like to be teased by an icredibly unfit cook. I forgot to tell that the bill was £ 90 each with only three glasses of ordinary portuguese wine.
Francesco - Florece - Italy

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
“Amazing experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the second time I have been. This time was to take friends as an engagement present. They loved it. The atmosphere in restaurant is really relaxing. The staff are very informative and attentive. The food is amazing well presented. A wonderful experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Decent food; shocking service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We are very keen on nouvelle cuisine and realised that Viajante was perhaps the only reputed establishment of this type in London that we hadn't visited. We went there on 8 March and were very disappointed.

First, the food. We ate an excellent potato-and-yeast amuse-bouche as well as two excellent desserts. The other 4 amuse bouche and 7 courses were more run-of-the-mill, with the exception of an inedible pork dish that we didn't eat (it was fatty beyond belief).

What really disappointed us, however, wasn't the food, but how the staff were not perceptive enough to see that we weren't enjoying it, as well as their lack of interest in understanding the reasons - worst of all, they showed a complete lack of interest in making it better. I will try to justify the use of "shocking" in my title, a very strong word, by referring to several incidents.

1. Having drunk a glass of house champagne (too sweet) and a bottle of fruity Portuguese white, we asked for a bottle of red. The waiter suggested one that he deemed as "amazing", which inevitably elicited more questions from us (eg. how is it amazing). He then said, "I don't know, I don't drink". So, we asked about other wines from the red-wine list and the waiter confessed that he'd tried only two of them. He walked off (the first instance of his passive aggressiveness) and a few minutes later, the somelier came.

2. The somelier told us that the "amazing" wine we'd been recommended was not available (they'd run out of it a couple of days before) and suggested one off the list instead. We tried it, accepted it and (this not being a fault of the restaurant) ended up not liking it much, so I stopped drinking it. After 30 minutes of refusing re-fills, the somelier came back with a bottle of a different red and poured me a glass. Couldn't he say "I see that you're not enjoying the wine, let me see what I can offer you by the glass"?. Instead, he just poured the glass he'd chosen for me and walked away. We weren't charged for it, though - I also didn't drink it.

3. Their wine service was so poor (probably due to their being understaffed) that our glasses were empty most of the time. We believe that two thirds of the red bottle were never served (we of course paid for the whole bottle).

4. When half of the pork dish was taken back to the kitchen uneaten, did they ask us why? No. They took it away and that was it.

5. When they offered us coffee at the end, we ordered decaf. "We don't serve decaf, sir" was the waiter's answer, met by my companion with a simple "wow!"

6. When we asked for the bill, it was 300 pounds + 37 pounds for the service. We asked to have the service removed from the bill. The passive-aggressive waiter asked "why is that", to which I replied, "we were disappointed by the food and especially the service". We answered in a very polite way that, if anything, invited further inquiry from him. If I presented someone with a 300 pound bill and the person expressed his unhappiness I would want to understand why. Instead, he walked away, brought the bill back without the service and never uttered another word.

We can't possibly recommend this restaurant. Perhaps, the most bothersome thing is that they didn't care about us - these people were not trained to deal with disappointment and that is simply not good enough.

I hope this review is helpful to others.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
RoxanneNewton, Front Office Manager at Viajante, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Mr Sacau,

Many thanks for your feedback.

As you can imagine, we are very disappointed to read your comments. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory service you received when dining with us on Friday. We take great pride in providing quality service for our guests and are very sorry that we failed in this instance. This is not a commonplace occurrence for us at Viajante. Rest assured that we are investigating this matter and will be making various changes to our staff training procedure in light of your feedback.

I have responded to your dining partner in full via email, which I very much hope he has shared with you. If not, please contact me on roxanne@viajante.co.uk and I would be more than happy to reply to you directly.

Kind regards
Roxanne
London
“Outstanding (without typical Michelin star arrogance)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

It's a surprise to find Viajante in Bethnal Green - not an area associated with the cutting edge of gastronomy, but this just adds to the positively alternative experience. The town hall incorporating the bar, corner restaurant, hotel and Viajante is fantastically designed and styled. From the environment and atmosphere to the service and food - this is aboslutely not French inspired, Michelin starred arrogance - hurrah! - but a contemporary, light and unique eating experience. We had the 9 course tasting menu with 4 palate teasers - it was something else. Best meal we've had to date. The originality of Roganic, but with a more Spanish / Portuguese influence. We were expecting molecular gastronomy - it was not this - it was complex for sure and exceptionally crafted.

Hello,
I just wanted to say thank you for your lovely review. We all work hard to give our guests a memorable dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere so it is fantastic for us to get such positive feedback such as this. Please feel free to contact me directly on roxanne@viajante.co.uk should you wish to make another booking. Perhaps now you have tried the 9 courses, next time you might opt for the 12 course menu!
Kindest regards
Roxanne
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully relaxed experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Three of us ate here on a saturday night and had a very good time. One of the group had been several times before, and had recommended it.

The waiters were extremely polite and courteous, and did not mind at all that we wanted to relax in the bar for a drink first. The bar offers some extremely good cocktails, and following dinner we returned to sample more of them.

The restaurant itself is warm, inviting and un-fussy, and i was delighted there was no dress-code (smart jeans and trainers were more than acceptable). We had a table right next to the open kitchen, and it was lovely to see the team at work preparing the dishes. Surprisingly, there was minimal noise from the kitchen. Whilst the service is attentive and up to michelin standard, its not stiff, intimidating or judgmental. The chef patron Nuno was in attendance, and made a point of coming over to speak to us and talk about some of the upcoming events. My only small complaint would be that occasionally i missed out on some of the ingredients that the waiters were describing as one or two of them were quietly spoken.

If you have deliberately booked here, then you should be aware already that the menu is blind - all you choose is whether to have 6, 9 or 12 courses. I found this a lovely part of the experience, as i enjoy trying a bit of everything, and being surprised by things that i might not normally order if i had the choice. However, if you are a bit fussy about what you eat, or if you want control over your choices, this place maybe isnt for you. I should say here that a 'course' consists of only around 5-6 lady-like bites of food, so if you have a small appetite (like me) then you should be able to tackle the 6 course meal with no trouble, and probably would be fine with 9. The courses are supplemented by a number of amuse bouches, so in reality, even a 6 course meal will feel more like 10. The courses are not rushed out, and you are given plenty of time to relax and chat between courses.

You are given the option of whether to have the paired wines, or to order by the glass or bottle. I really dont enjoy white wine, so i opted for a few glasses of very nice red, however my companions had the paired wines, and were extremely impressed with all of them. I think it worked out as 3 red and 3 white with the 6 course option. The dessert Sake was particularly nice.

All in all, i would definitely come here again, and would recommend it to anyone that really enjoys good, experimental food in a relaxing atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013