“What a wast of time and money.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Viajante - CLOSED

Viajante
Patriot Square | Bethnal Green, London E2 9NF, England (East End / East London)
+44 (0) 20 7871 0461
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Cross street: Patriot Square
Transit: TUBE 3 minutes walk to Bethnal Green tube on the Central Line (between Bethnal Green Road and Hackney Road). Take the 1st exit on the right hand side of the station, walk straight up Cambridge Heath Rd. TRAIN 2 minutes walk from Cambridge Heath Road overground (5 minutes from Liverpool Street) BUSES 26, 48, 55, 106, 254, 309, 388, 394,D3
Description: Viajante offers a blind style tasting menu of 3, 6, or 9 courses for lunch and 6 or 12 courses for dinner. Menus are based on the seasonal availability of produce and on the diner's dietary restrictions. Lunch is served Wendnesday to Sunday: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pmDinner is served Monday to Sunday: 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Innsbruck
“What a wast of time and money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

There was really nothing about this place that I would go back for. The only good memory I have is of the young host who had a real good energy (tall young skinny kid with tattoo on the neck). The server was ok and the food being brought by cooks seemed a cute idea, The dining room at first seemed ok, not pretentious etc. Not a fan of the sommelier though.
The food on the other hand not quite to my liking. It seems to be one of those situations where the chef is more interested in his own ego then providing a delicious dining experience to his guests. Did he really think anybody would enjoy a thick piece of raw pork meat? Between our table and the next one over i was actually the only one even eating a good part of it. The first bite was intriguing, followed by the second that started to get chewy and on the third you are definitely over that hunk of raw pork meat. Don't get me wrong, I try everything and it was not my first time to eat raw pork, but please take a clue from other cultures that serve raw protein: slice it thin like carpaccio, dice it like tartare, cut it into strips of sushi. The next course was almost raw squab. WOW.
Another stand out was the cereal with grass. Seriously this culinary invention tasted exactly like your kashi cereal bar fell into a mound of freshly mowed lawn and you would keep on eating it without shaking off the grass. The rest of the eight courses I cannot even remember. I just wished I had ordered in pizza that night.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Absolute perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Viajante just makes me wish I lived in London so I could go there more often! I visited with a friend a while ago and me had the most amazing lunch it now makes it difficult to go anywhere else without comparing all the time. From the minute we arrived we had a great time and really enjoyed our afternoon there.

We initially planned to do a small tasting in the restaurant and follow this with a tasting in the bar with some of their delicious cocktails. As this was not possible we were instead offered the 9 course lunch menu and I have to say we weren't at all disappointed! From start to finish the meal just got better with each dish. Each dish we tried we declared the best we had tasted... until they brought out the next one and we were back to being wowed!

We had a great view of the open kitchen as we were sat right at the front of the restaurant so could see all the chefs at work. Each dish, being so expertly prepared right in front of our eyes before being presented to us by one of the waiters and some even by the chefs which was a nice touch.

Without listing everything we ate... a few standouts were the bread with the homemade butter, especially the smoked butter which was delicious, the crab croquettes, baby potato with yeast puree (so ridiculously good I had no shame in scraping every last bit of the puree off the plate!), the mackerel with lettuce & cherries, the iberico pork with cereals and last but not least the inspired desserts of picked and raw cucumber, lemon granite & black pepper (the perfect palate cleanser, so refreshing) and the beetroot sorbet with dark chocolate & creme fraiche (such a brilliant combination I keep coming back to it in my own desserts).

Lastly... the cep & white chocolate truffles (wow)

Also, we thought it was a great value experience, even with 9 courses including wine with each it wasn't extortionally expensive and really for the quality of food and service, was actually exceptionally good value

We were also really lucky to get a chance to speak with the chef Nuno Mendes and even get a tour of the kitchen. It was great to meet a chef with such immense talent but still so warm, friendly and humble. Together with his team, they really do provide an amazing dining experience and I can imagine they get a lot of repeat guests because of this

When I return to the UK to visit in a few months, this will definately be first on my list of restaurants to visit as I can imagine that since my last visit they have just gotten even better. I can't wait to see what they are offering.

The bar is also a must visit, they have a great selection of cocktails and a really nice atmosphere in the bar so you can relax and enjoy a few drinks after your meal. Perfect!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful dining experience, relaxed but efficient service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had New year' eve diner there which was a great choice! After a number of amuses bouches we had a 7 course menu with pairing wines. Everything was excellent, some dishes intriguing your taste buds, providing interesting flavours and texture combinations. The Chef came by to wish us a good year, he feels like a very nice and humble person. At midnight we were offered a glass of champagne. I like the service there which is not too posh and in your face constantly, however is effective and really pleasant!
We will definitely be back soon again!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“One of the world's best restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We've been massive fans of Nuno Mendes' Viajante for a few years now and each time we go we're blown away by his cooking. And this time was no different.

We recently voted Viajante as the best restaurant experience of 2012 and rightfully so. The cooking at Viajante is highly innovative, skilled and tasteful. We've eaten at many top restaurants in the world and would rank Viajante up there with the best of them.

Those who're willing to take a risk will be rewarded by a visit to Viajante. Having said that Viajante is not for all. If you prefer tried and tested classical dishes then stay clear because you won't find them at Viajante. Given the amount of culinary experimentation that goes on at Viajante, there are bound to be some less successful dishes. However, when Nuno Mendes get's it right (and he get's it right about 80-90% of the time) he produces truly spectacular art on a plate.

The interior at Viajante is somewhat understated and mute. The dining room is consists of two different areas, one with direct view of the open kitchen area where the chefs practise their culinary magic. For those that are into their cocktails and want to have a drink at the bar before or after eating there is a separate bar in the same hotel, opposite Viajante, where they serve some of the best cocktails in London...you have to try the Martell Blazer. Not only is the preparation spectacular, but the taste of that cocktail is phenomenal.

Viajante means traveller in Portuguese and the theme of virtually travelling to the cuisines of different countries around the world (Thai, Japanese, Iberian, etc.) is enhanced by the background music which plays music from around the world.

This time we visited Viajante during the Christmas & New-Year holidays. The restaurant offered a special 7 course tasting menu to celebrate this occasion, which consisted of:
*Appetiser of Thai Explosion III - soft boiled egg and chicken paste in between crispy chicken skin (10/10)
*Appetiser of Amaranth with sorrel (9/10)
*Appetiser of Carrot with horseradish (8.5/10)
*Appetiser Gordal olive soup (8.5/10)
*Appetiser potato with yeast and olive bread (9/10)
*Bread and butter (9.5/10)
*First course: Langoustine with buttermilk and frozen pine (9/10)
*Second course: Sea bass with vanilla and yuba (9/10)
*Third course: Cod and tripe with unions, parsley and potatoes (10/10)...give me a whole bucket of this please :)
*Fourth course: Salsify with spruce bark and black truffle (8.5/10)
*Fifth course: Iberico presa with fermented squash (9.5/10)
*Sixth course: Wood pigeon with cep mushroom and chestnuts (9.5/10)
*Pre-dessert / palate cleanser of Cucumber with reduced milk sorbet (10/10)
*Seventh course: Milk dessert (10/10)...can I have a bucket of this as well please!
*Petits Fours - frozen olive paste and chocolate truffles (9/10)

As with other visits, the dishes at Viajante were very creative and tasty and some of them carried a real wow-I can't help but focus on what's going on in my mouth-factor. This is what you're looking for in a Michelin star restaurant and Viajante delivers in spade. Having visited Viajante multiple times now, I honestly don't understand how food critic Jay Rayner didn't like his experience at Viajante.

The service at Viajante was exemplary as always (comparable to 2 and 3 Michelin star experiences elsewhere), but not too overbearing and certainly not too stuffy (which I personally detest with a passion). What also struck me was that several of the sous chefs presented the dishes in addition to Nuno Mendes himself, which I thought was a really nice touch (it says a lot about what kind of a boss and Nuno is).

The total bill at Viajante came to £160 (incl. service charge, 2 cocktails 1 mocktail and 1 glass of wine), which is very reasonable given the amount and quality of dishes.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Weird and wonderful! Sometimes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Took my sister for her birthday. When the waiter asked if there was anything we did nt eat, stupidly I did nt think to say duck tongues and duck hearts. The tongue ermine me of a cats tongues, raspy. Not a delicacy I will ever have again. The next time we said , no of all or tongues please , but still got cod 'tripe' which was the bit around the fills. There were some beautiful dishes, but I won't be going back. It is very expensive as well.

Visited April 2012