“Fresh, modern spot on the South Bank” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kennington B & B

You added Kennington B & B to your Saves list
Kennington B & B
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   103 Kennington Park Road, London SE11 4JJ, England   |
Ranked #29 of 549 London B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, NY
“Fresh, modern spot on the South Bank”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

This B&B in the Kennington Park area of the South Bank is a spotless new total renovation of a huge 1700's-era townhouse; it's a bit stark and sterile in decor, but I'll take that over shabby any day. (Our only objection: rooms so minimally furnished that there were few places to just put your stuff down; we longed for a cheap Ikea side table or even a folding chair!) Beds new and comfy, a flat-screen TV in each of our rooms in the top-floor suite, and plenty of hot water, and a decent enough breakfast buffet (supermarket pastry and cereal but fresh tea/coffee) served with brisk, efficient friendliness by our hostess, a City legal-eagle who lives next door with her family and still finds time to look after guests' needs. There's also a pleasant garden for guests, and our aerie had a tiny balcony AND a view (just) of the London Eye at night! Location was fine, steps from the Kennington Park tube stop on Northern line, and the immediate neighborhood was diverse and pleasant and full of interesting London commuters instead of tourists. Thanks to a recommendation from our hostess, we tried the nearby 'gastropub,' Tommyfield, and had just about the best meal of our 2-week stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

The owners were away on holiday & arranged for me to be met at the B & B by one of two nephews. My arrival was to coincide with the World Cup final & (understandably) neither nephew was keen to help out. Hence, the plan changed & a key was left for me with elaborate instructions as to its whereabouts. All a bit of a hassle, to be honest, at the end of my journey.

My rooms on the ground floor were nice but the bathroom was at the end of a corridor by the back door. The B & B's website fails to make it clear that the bathroom for this room is not en suite. The room rate (£120) fails to take into account the huge inconvenience of having to leave the room and make a trip to the end of a corridor to use the bathroom.

Breakfast was supposed to be served between 8 and 10. The owner's nephew arrived at 8.15 and got things ready. I had an early meeting and the delay set me back. He was plainly annoyed at having to be there (told me he's been up since 6.15 to make the journey) and was less than welcoming.

I understand this to be a new business venture. My feeling is that there was no proper plan in place to run the B & B in their absence. If you want to charge £120 for a room with no en suite bathroom, everything else about the experience should be 100%. Sadly it wasn't.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank NottinghamCounsel
teddyfinn, Owner at Kennington B & B, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
We were terribly upset to receive this review of the B & B, I would not wish for any guest to experience a bad stay indeed quite the opposite, we went into this business in order that visitors to London should have a good experience.
Due to the fact that the house is over 230 years old, having been built in 1779 and is Grade II listed, we were unable to put in en-suite bathrooms, except for one on the 1st floor, which is why we provided a floor plan of the house on the website. It was provided so that no one would be misled. It does not state anywhere on our website that the bathroom is en suite, however the use of the guests wording "at the end of the corridor" makes it sound as if the bathroom is miles away which is frankly not the case at all.
It is the first time we had taken a few days away since we began the work 2 years ago, this guest was a last minute booking who was indeed arriving half way through the final of the World Cup however on speaking to her she agreed she would collect the key.
I am truly sorry that my nephew was late for breakfast and came across as rude, I think it was possibly more a defensive and immature reaction, he is only 16 and it is a Saturday/holiday job for him, he lives an hour and a half and 2 buses away and this was the first time he had laid out breakfast on his own.
The guest even sent me a message at 8:30, after the late breakfast she complained of, thanking me for the stay and even enquiring if she could stay a further night. I have tried to call the guest and have sent an e mailed apology however she did not respond.
We did have a plan in place to run the B & B in our absence unfortunately the person who was to supervise fell sick 2 days before we left on holiday. I have 3 young children and did not feel it was fair to cancel their summer holiday, in hindsight perhaps I should have stayed behind, This has been a steep learning curve for both us, the owners and my family that help us run it, We hope that this shall remain our sole average review and we shall continue to enjoy the excellent reviews we have been fortunate in having so far.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Kennington B & B is one true fabulous gem...a stone's throw away from the Kennington Tube station off the Northern Line, this place is amazing. Brand spanking new amenities, plush towels and duvet covers. Very attentive to the needs of the guests, that on the day of our departure, she made us a small breakfast. would certainly recommend this place to family and friends....in fact, a co-worker is planning a stay in November..Sian, thanks a lot of being so nice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

We are a family of 5. The taxi ride from the Eurostar took less than 20 mins. My 2 eldest girls, 7 & 4 were straight into the quaint English garden along with my husband who read his paper as I was able to put the baby down for a nap (in the travel cot provided) and unpack in peace. The beds were very firm, just what the Dr ordered, after a long day shopping and sightseeing. Breakfast was fab. All that you could want in a continental breakfast and much more. A family run B&B was what we were looking for....and that's what we found. It was worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2010
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

We felt really at home in our room here. The house has been renovated with beautiful taste. Breakfast was delicious. We were at Covent Garden in ten minutes, and being on a direct line from St Pancras made it so practical to get to.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple