“Could be perfect if they could iron Out some random irritations” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #700 of 853 Attractions in London
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Britain's interactive museum of popular music. Combining cutting edge audio-visual technology with some of the most coveted music memorabilia – the only exhibition where you can select your favourite content to keep. Trace era defining moments through 60 years of music and its influence on art and fashion. See iconic British music memorabilia from David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust costume to Amy Winehouse’s dress. Develop your skills on guitar, bass, drums, vocals and even your dance moves!
3 attraction reviews
“Could be perfect if they could iron Out some random irritations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'd been looking forward to seeing the British music experience for well over a year. When I got there, I was massively disappointed within five minutes when I was told no photography inside the exhibition. I find it very annoying when this rule is not mentioned clearly on the booking website or the tickets. I think this should change. Anyway, I was cheered up when I got in the exhibition. The amount of information available and the way it is presented is amazing. You have around seven rooms with a big screen in with a different time period. On the screens you can read hundreds of news articles from the fifties to the present day. A great selection of music is played in every room. There's also an interactive section where you can learn to play an instrument. Overall, it's an excellent and very detailed experience. They should just be clearer about photography prior to booking. Also they should have sign saying the jukebox in the lobby is for display only.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“A fantastic day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I went with my husband and 13 year old daughter. We had a fantastic time. We went for our first visit at 6:15pm - we didn't have enough time to see everything and try out all the exhibits. We upgraded to an annual membership and returned at opening time the next morning and spent a further 2 hours. A recommended day out.

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Run down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Took my grandchildren here. School groups were aloud to run riot with no staff around to take control. Very short of staff, we could not get some of the exhibits to work. Many of the ticket swipes were not in use. The music room was full of school children stopping anyone else to try. The same happened when we reached the dance room. Some of the costumes were cheap imitations. The spice girls being the worst. The shop needs a lot of work even the children could not find anything to spend there money on.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Not bad experience not excellent either”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The actual music experience was quite good, but I did have an issue with the staff.
Apparently there is a no photography rule imposed here. I don't disagree with this rule but my complaint is that there were no signs informing us of this fact.
We spent an enjoyable 2 hours at the show, but just as we were about to leave a member of staff approached myn son who had been taking the odd photo on the way around the exhibit.
She very rudely told him toi stop taking photos as she would have him removed from the premises.
There had been two other male members of staff walking around the exhibit and several times they saw my son taking photos and nothing was mentioned by them.
All staff had radios why were they not informed by cctv staff to tell us of the no photos rule.
The female member of staff told us we were being watched by cctv all the way around.
Why were we left for almost 2 hours before being approached. This female member of staff is obviously a small fish in a small pool, but thinks she is something she is not.
Exhibit was very enjoyable would I recommend it NO just down to this female member of staff's attitude.
Maybe she would like to work for MI5 but this would never happen.

Visited July 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Great Overview - but missed a few tricks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

If I want a quick overview of British Music (with a few bits from our friends outside Britain) then this is great. You are taken through different eras showing the music and some events of that time. There is an area for visitors to try out Guitars, Drums, Pianos and vocals. I was disappointed that significant/important events relating to UK Music were not given enough 'time' and in some cases had to be searched for by the visitors. Yes there was a pitch about Live Aid - that you had to listen to via speakers around a table ! not exactly a tribute to the first of its kind !!. Going around the shop you could be excused for thinking British music only consisted of the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, - all excellent but hasn't there been other brilliant British artists since e.g. Oasis, Coldplay, Robin Williams, Eurythmics, Adele. I think you've missed a few tricks to promote all that is great and continues to be great about the UK Music Industry.