“Great food, service going downhill!!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12,290 of 17,998 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: This is a cafe, so I don't know what to put as type of cuisines. It says "organic bread & artisan food" on their website.
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, service going downhill!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I wrote a review earlier in the year and have been back on a few occasions, I have to agree that the service is abysmal to the point that they totally ignored me one day!! It is a real shame as the food is really very good. I am not sure who owns this place and how they employ their staff but they may need to become a little more hands on as I can see this place failing otherwise. have also noticed they have stopped using back or middle bacon preferring to serve streaky, yes they buy their meat at William Rose as do I and to be honest the meat/poultry etc there is in most cases cheaper than supermarket offerings but a whole lot better and I am sure they have probably negotiated a deal, so get the decent stuff back in!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

basingstoke
“First and last visit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We chose Luca's on Saturday for breakfast as we had arrived early for our visit to our son and his family. The staff greeted us when we entered and seemed pleasant enough. We ordered the full English breakfast and coffee. Coffee very nice but when the breakfast arrived the first thing we noticed was that the plates were cold. Still we know from experience that not everyone warms the plates before serving up the food and it did look good. However when we tried first the mushrooms and found them stone cold we tried a small amount of everything on our plates. Everything was cold. The fried eggs were not only cold but cooked to within an inch of their lives. We called the waitress over and told her and she apologised and took them away. They were back within two minutes and we could see that all that had been done was to put the whole plate in the microwave for a quick blast which had only succeeded in making everything lukewarm. When we complained again,we were told that everything was cooked fresh that morning. The cook (I don't think you could call him a chef) appeared and didn't bother to come to see us but just spoke to the shop staff. We were not disbelieving that the food had been cooked from fresh that morning, just trying to make the point that everything was cold which no one could seem to see was a problem. They just kept repeating that everything was cooked fresh. So, it appears that as long as the food is cooked fresh, it can hang around in the kitchen until a customer arrives and be served up without being heated up. In the end we paid for the coffee and left and went to Franklin's where the breakfast was very good and more to the point, hot. Needless to say we will not be returning. I would also like to point out that we have never before had to refuse a meal for any reason. This was definitely a first.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London
“Glad I tried it but won't go again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Decided to go to Lucas bakery cafe for lunch today, I agree with the rest of the reviews with regards to the friendliness of the staff as when I walked in the staff looked bored and were not very friendly. I ordered a fresh orange juice which was £2 and tasted like that nasty orange drink that was bad for kids several years back. I also ordered a bacon sandwich with fried eggs which was another £6. When the food arrived the bread was ok but I would have preferred being given a choice of brown or white, there was much more egg than bacon and when I looked inside the sandwich as the bacon was disgustingly chewy and dry I found it was overcooked streaky bacon. There was also no ketchup or brown sauce on the tables or offered which I thought was a bit poor. I let the lady behind the counter know that I didn't enjoy the food and that most places use back bacon for bacon sandwiches, she looked a bit grumpy and said well its William rose bacon, I said that they ought to reflect that it's not back bacon on the menu but she replied again that it's William rose bacon. I shop in William roses all the time and I am a huge fan but streaky bacon is still streaky bacon which is cheaper, has more fat and is not my preference. So I left with the impression of an unwelcoming place which uses cheap ingredients to increase their profit margins whilst charging too much. I shan't be going back but that's my curiosity satisfied!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“First visit. Probably last.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Reasonable coffee and OK Bakewell Tart for £4.10. Bit over-priced? Served by a rather sullen young women, who obviously wished she was somewhere else. Asked if there was a wi-fi; one word answer: "no". Not great when you're there with your laptop for a meeting.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Patchy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Luca's is in a good location, has friendly staff and a great ambience so it's a shame that the quality of the coffee is inconsistent and the pastries are sometimes inedible. The delicious cinnamon buns don't appear often on the menu either.

Visited September 2013