“Shady Outside, Nice Inside” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 4 Star Hostel

You added 4 Star Hostel to your Saves list
4 Star Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   91 Jermyn Street, London SW1Y 6JB, England (Formerly Piccadilly Guest House) (St. James's)   |
Ranked #390 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
London
“Shady Outside, Nice Inside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

There is no sign on the building that mentions there is a hostel there, but it exists. Everything looks suspicious (the creaky small elevator and especially the check-in area where they take you downstairs to the dimly lit restaurant to pay), but the rooms are actually pretty nice. The beds are clean, the showers are clean (no towels), and the WiFi is good. There are no lockers or locks on the doors, but it's safe to leave clothes and chargers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hi dear Hotels.com Traveller,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel at Piccadilly, London.
Please note that we do have a sign outside on the board and that we got a new key system.

Hope to see you again soon at 4 Star hostel. :)

4 Star Hostel Piccadilly, London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Great location, but appalling hostel. I totally agree with the comments of Piret P and am not surprised by those of tash787. In the kitchen, the fridge wasn't working and cupboards were hanging off hinges. The bathroom situation was appalling. The ratio of women to bathrooms was totally inadequate - it was very difficult to even use a toilet. The bathroom was so disgusting. The shower recess looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a year - I have never seen such a disgusting shower. There was no hot water in one bathroom, which increased the overcrowding on the remaining 2. The beds were awful - you could feel the springs through the sheet. There was nowhere safe to leave your belongings. Downstairs in the Russian restaurant the staff offered to 'mind' your valuables - I wouldn't take the risk. The doors to the building weren't opened until sometime between 9 and 11 am. So if you wanted to go out before this time in the morning, you wouldn't be able to get back in. The only good thing was the location. But it didn't compensate for the disgusting hostel. In future I'd rather stay further out of the city and catch the tube in. I recommend avoiding this hostel. I wish I'd read some more reviews before I stayed there.

Room Tip: Avoid - there is no good room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Liisa,

It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations.
We would like to apologize if one of the three showers available had no hot water during your stay.
Please note that no websites advertise that we provide kitchen facilities.
I can confirm that our bathrooms and showers are cleaned properly everyday.

Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Located one block from Piccadilly Circus on Jermyn St., this women's only hostel is in a FANTASTIC location! Within walking distance of Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, parks, museums- I arrived, threw down my bag and within 10 minutes was touring Buckingham Palace grounds. The dorm rooms are kept clean. The microwave needs repair and the shower could be kept cleaner, but for the price...The elevator is a bit rickety. The only downside is that they don't open until 10 or 11 am on the weekend- I went for coffee and got locked out! I would recommend storing your bags with the office staff, several women had items stolen. Good place to rest after a day/night of London!

Room Tip: Change dorms if your roomates are noisy or sketchy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Hi dear Jamy,

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback after staying at 4 Star hostel at Piccadilly London.
Please note no website advertise we provide a microwave and that, as written on the information sheet we shows to all our guests at the check in our doors opens at midday.
Regarding guests and their belonging we always suggest to leave valuables at the main reception to avoid other girls taking or using other guests things.

Hope to see you again soon at 4 Star hostel. :)

Tallinn

- 2 days no hot water...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hi,

It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations.
We would like to apologize if the hot water in the showers was not working when you stayed here.
Please note no websites advertise we provide Kitchen facilities.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have never written a review before ad i have done lots of travel. But I couldn't help myself on this hostel! Despise the no locker situation and sharing a bathroom with loads of girls my stay was going ok, until...

I came back from a day trip to find my stuff GONE! Everything cleared out and bed made. Freaking out I went to reception and the man at the desk said "well you should have checked out shouldn't you?" in the most condescending tone you could imagine. Before even CHECKING to see if the hostel had made a mistake, I was made to feel like rubbish. After a 2 second check on an iPad another man goes "oh there was a mistake". He walks off to bring back my stuff while the other man turned to me and said "you have so much stuff, how do you expect to fit it in one bag? You just left it everywhere, all over the floor, it's unacceptable really."

I was in shock! My stuff was neatly packed under the bed when I left that morning. Always making an effort to keep stuff out of the way and when the other man returned, all my stuff was in black rubbish plastic bags. I am still horrified at the poor service, terrible manners and total lack of management skills. The most simple thing to do FIRST was to check their stupid iPad - instead of go through ALL my belongings and shove them (including my laptop and $2,000 camera) into rubbish bags.

Terrible hostel, I will never stay there again. They have no customer service and treat you like rubbish.

• Stayed June 2012
hostel4star, Guest Relations Manager at 4 Star Hostel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Tash,

It is a disappointment to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations back in June 2012.
We want to apologize for the mistake happened to you.

4 Star Hostel at Piccadilly London

Been to 4 Star Hostel? Share your experiences!