“Wish I'd stayed anywhere else” 1 of 5 stars

London Olympus Hotel
35 Romford Road | Stratford, London E15 4LY, England   |
Ranked #302 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wish I'd stayed anywhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I booked a room for one night, and I think it is probably one of the worst hotel rooms I have ever tried to sleep in. I arrived and my room stank of smoke - really stank! I am pretty certain that whoever it was that had the room before me must have been sitting in there puffing away all night.
The window opened out on to an alleyway, and there was no way to lock it in an open position, so it was either closed, or open so far that anyone could have hopped in my room! Which meant I had to sleep with the window shut and enjoy the scent of B&H all night. The bathroom had an unusual aroma, I'm still not totally sure what it was, but it was a mix of sewers, bananas and something really sweet - couldn't open the window so I just kept the door shut and tried not to breath in while I was in there.
The sheets on the bed were clean, so that was nice.
For £60 I would have been better off staying in a youth hostel and spending the rest on beer.

Room Tip: Go to the Ibis down the road, I heard it was much nicer
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Nice & Clean!
-A few minutes from buses, trains and the tube
-Not brand new but spacious and you get free wifi
-Supernice people who told us to "take our time" when we overslept and didn't make the checkout on time, they were also more than happy to take care of our luggage for a day after we left!
-Recomended for anyone on a budget!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Myself and a friend stayed for one night after booking on Booking.com. After walking from the main building to our room four doors down we were greeted by a front door that needed a lot of help to open. The room was of decent size with a double and single bed. The room was located at the front of the property. Traffic noise was terrible as was people hanging round smoking at the front door right next to our window. The curtains did not match or fit the windows not that the large bay window was much use as they had put a wardrobe in front of it. The bedding was clean which was the only plus side. The bathroom was tiny with rather odd cleaning supplies provided in there. I left my shampoo and shower gel just so the next poor sod had something decent. The general state of the accommodation was awful they should not be allowed to charge money for what they provide. Overall the worst nights sleep from the front door banging all the time, people running around and traffic noise. Avoid this hotel

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I went over for the olympic's in July. There was a mistake on Booking.com with the price and we got a double room for 75 pounds the real price should have been 350 pounds. We got a call advising us of this mistake and they wanted to charge us the extra money. Needless to say we did not allow the hotel to charge us anymore than what was payed for on booking.com.
This hotel is really a poor B&B at best, without breakfast. We stayed in the top room on the 3rd floor. It was tiny and had 2 beds in it. The beds where terrible. No phone or clock in the room. The bathroom was absolutly tiny. I mean tiny, if you were using the loo your knees are banging of the door. The shower was also tiny.
The only good thing was that we go free WiFi ( I can go to starbucks and get free WiFi ) and the fact that we got it for 75 pounds and we were only staying 1 night. If I had to stay another night I would have gone somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Most hotels are very grubby along the romford road stratford. I was expecting this from this hotel. Much to my suprise the hotel turned out to be excellent, clean, friendly staff, free wifi was available. Great budget hotel. If something is not right the staff are always happy to listen and resolve. Definately will be booking again for my next short stay in London. Thanks raj

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011 via mobile

Good value for price, considering we are in london.
Clean rooms, not so big, but confortable.
Receptionist guy very friendly.

• Stayed October 2011
Kettering, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I have travelled all over the world and stayed in hotels of all types and ratings. This is one of the worst I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Tiny room. Reception four doors along the street. Ill matched furniture and the tiniest shower cubicle imaginable. No breakfast available despite my company having paid for it. Worst of all it started raining in the middle of the night - inside the room. This is not a hotel it is a doss house. Do not stay here.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to London Olympus Hotel? Share your experiences!