“W Luxury - brilliant, but change the bathrooms!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W London Leicester Square

Save Saved
You added W London Leicester Square to your Saves list
W London Leicester Square
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Wardour Street, London W1D 6QF, England (Leicester Square / Shaftesbury Avenue)   |
Special Price
Get up to 20% off
Ranked #357 of 1,075 hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“W Luxury - brilliant, but change the bathrooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The W is great, if a little psychedelic looking on the outside with its fantastic colour changing walls that cover the whole hotel. This looks fabulous and also blocks out the noise from the street below when you are in your room. Once you are in the main hotel, it feels like walking around inside something that Apple designed, with lots of white and black decor, neon lighting and shiny surfaces. The corridors to lead you to the rooms are dark as night - felt a bit like you were in Abercrombie & Fitch as you could barely see anything but it felt luxurious! The bed in our room was ENORMOUS and deliciously firm and was such a feature with gorgeously fat, stiff pillows, cushions and duvet. The lighting in the room had loads of different settings to create different moods which are fun to play around with!

However, as the room was designed as an all-in-once living space, with the bathroom sink in the middle of the room, and the shower in separate sections, this presented 2 problems. First of all, as the shower was so minimalist there was no shower tray, so every time you took a shower, the water happily flooded the floor and headed threateningly towards the carpet. Thus, we had to surrender the W dressing gowns to mop up the flood each time. This only happened in one of the rooms we stayed in. On another visit, it was absolutely fine. The second problem is a little more delicate, as there is very little privacy to be had if you are in the toilet cubicle. The glass and metal doors are echoey and you can hear pretty much everything from the outside as essentially you are sitting in a frosted glass echo box! Also I just don't think separating the toilet from the sink is a good idea, why not keep it minimal but in the same place? The door also was super creaky when opened and closed and would wake the other person if you took a late night trip to the loo, but that could just be a case of needing a little WD40 on the hinges.

One other issue was the time we stayed on maybe the 5th floor, we seemed to be much nearer to the in-hotel bar and I had trouble sleeping as I could still hear the music late into the night. But the higher up the hotel you stay (7th floor was lovely and quiet)

The staff throughout were especially helpful, especially when I had been given a delicate orchid in a vase as a valentines gift by my boyfriend. On checkout day I wanted to go out and shop before I came to collect my things before my train, so they happily took care of the orchid and kept it with my belongings and even searched for a bag that would protect it on the way home which I really appreciated.

The whole experience was lovely, and great to leave behind the chaos of leicester square behind.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go as high as you can up the floors to avoid noise from the hotel bar on the w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Kristina J,

Thank you for sharing such a great review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. However, I was sorry to hear about your experience in the past. I appreciate your point about the décor, this is rather unique as our intention behind this concept is to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable.

It’s also great to hear that you appreciated our friendly team. I will happily pass these compliment‘s on to them as they have been working very hard to make every guest feel special.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

1,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have stayed at the W in Piccadilly twice and was equally impressed with both visits, immaculate rooms, the whole hotel has a very cool, modern vibe about it but with a relaxed atmosphere. Had dinner at The Spice Market which was amazing, staff so friendly and attentive. Cocktails although pricey, you get what you pay for - probably the best I've had in London. Rather fond of this hotel, especially its fabulous glittering décor!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LF220788,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is good to see a guest detailing their flawless guest experience. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including your dinner in Spice Market and your time in our W Lounge. Your kind words on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly be sharing these with all of them.

I hope to see you soon!

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed for two nights in June last year, and while it's very pricey it is very special inside. The lobby is very cool and modern in style, and the rooms are no different. While the rooms are a little on the small side, they offer a stylish stay in a fantastic location with plenty of dining and entertainment options in the vicinity.
I would definitely stay again, though would have to save up a bit first before going back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Steve W,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in June last year. It’s also wonderful to know you appreciated the design of our rooms and Welcome area including our excellent location. With regards to your point about the price, we do believe that our rates are competitive, however your feedback is important to us and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

I look forward to welcoming you back to W London – Leicester Square in the not to distance future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I am a Londoner and always looking for great Brunch spots. Leicester Square would usually be the last place I'd look but then I found the W Does Brunch on Sundays... a super chilled out vibe for Sunday mornings eating fab food, drinking cocktails and listening to some great tunes spun by one of London's most gorgeous female DJ's. Our brunch went until it got dark outside - we just couldn't leave. The staff are friendly and helpful - it's seems like they all really love their job. Even if you don't stay in this hotel, or if you are a local, check out this place on Sundays at 12.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear OMMTraveller,

Thank you for sharing such a great feedback about your recent visit to W London – Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed W Does Brunch including your time in our W Lounge. I am very happy to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations. I would also like to also thank you for your kind words on my team, I will certainly share this with all of them including our Chef at Spice Market.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Warm Regards,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

There is no better location, but it also means a lot of people and a lot of noise particularly at night.
It's a unique hotel with super service, the rooms are weird in size and layout. It's on the expensive side of things. I would return only if there is no other option in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Julio G,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear that overall you had a great time during your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to London!

Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

First - this is in a great location - very walkable to Soho, Piccadilly, South Bank, etc. That's really the only positive thing I have to say. You'd be best to find another hotel is the same West Bank - Leicester Square area.

You would think this hotel was built 20 or so years ago given the shape of the room. The furniture in the room was beat up, with scratches and missing edges and overall worn down-ness. There was a layer of dust on EVERYTHING - from the bathroom, to the bedroom, the phone, the desk, ick ick. It was exhausting cleaning the room so we can stay there.

The service was fine. We requested a Suite Upgrade as an SPG Platinum using my "Suite Upgrade" nights - and got a mildly larger room - "Cool Corner." But its not a suite -- and that is partially the hotel's fault and mostly Starwood's fault. There were additional issues with this - but I'll be handling those directly with Starwood.

By the way, that big post in the room is actually not cool, its totally in the way.

The room had a lot of cubbie space -- but very little hanging space. And everything was filled with W stuff - robes are nice, but please, I need to hang some clothing. They offered to bring a rack into the room - where would you put it? We ended up traveling out of the suitcase.

The bathroom was disgusting -- get some work done! The ceilings are peeling, the shower needs to be re-grouted, and as I said, layer of dust on everything. Example: the silver edges of the toilet paper holder - total layer of dust. That means they aren't cleaning time and time again.

Not worth our SPG points - very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrew_and_Kate,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and we always look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points you have highlighted in detail on a one to one basis. Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Georgetown, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Photos online are very deceiving.

Lobby ID is tacky and badly maintained.

First room we checked into - looks like a dungeon. The bathroom looks like the setting of one of the scenes in Texas chainsaw.

Second room we checked into by the receptionist who took 1.5 hrs - was occupied. Speechless.

Third room we checked into, has an envelop attn to the wrong person... Fine. Settled down, got into the shower... And realized the bathroom has no ventilation! Same goes with the toilet.

My experience in W London can be summarized into 3 words:
OW AM GEE

thanks.

• Stayed January 2014
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Serena T,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and we always look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points you have highlighted in detail. Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ian

Been to W London Leicester Square? Share your experiences!