“Memories of South India...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sagar Vegetarian Covent Garden Restaurant

Sagar Vegetarian Covent Garden Restaurant
31 Catherine Street | Covent Garden, London WC2B 5JS, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
020 7836 6377
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,888 of 17,940 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
Denver, Colorado
“Memories of South India...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

... and discovering the masala dosa. It was so gratifying to find a good Indian restaurant, and near Covent Garden. The dosas are excellent, with good midday specials offered too.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Norwalk, Connecticut
“Biggest. Dosa. Ever”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is a very nice vegetarian restaurant, with very nice servce, and convenient for pre-theater dinner. And they have the biggest dosas I've ever seen in my life.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Good food enjoyable for all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Very pleasantly surprised after eating here. Service was good from booking through to leaving through the door.
The food was tasty and a good variety. There was a few of us on this visit each with different tastes and pallets and the food satisfied all of us. Our party had vegan, veggie and omni at one table and we all left with the feeling of a satisfied stomach.
The samosas are defiantly a must have.
To start I was not convinced by he thought of a meatless menu but I can honestly say that I did not leave craving more food or meat. The menu also meant that our group could all share the food, the staff were helpful in pointing out options that were not vegan friendly and there was still a rather large menu left.
Would defiantly return for a good time.

The locked front door did confuse us but I'd rather have the door locked than it opening in the wind and having to eat my meal with my coat on, it is a restaurant after all.

Over all a very good visit

Visited January 2014
London
“Terrible decor and blunt food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Me and my girlfriend decided to visit this restaurant because of all good reviews but at the end of the dinner we were very disappointed. First of all, they lock the door for some reason so once you decide to come in and attempt a few pushes and pulls, the waiter comes and unlocks the door and let's you in (??? why??). The waiters are fast, but quite unfriendly, not one of them smiled to us or said something nice. The decor is absolutely horrible - the place looks like a waiting room in a train station, very sad and cold. My gf ordered a dosa and I ordered sagar thali, both meals were pretty much inedible, very blunt and tasteless. At first I thought it's only my taste buds acting funny, but then my gf said the same thing and she grew up eating Indian food every day! These two meals, 1 ice cream and 2 orange juices cost us around £30. Very disappointing evening.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Letchworth, United Kingdom
“Good food but prices have gone up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I've been going to Sagar for years and although the décor and facilities are basic I've always enjoyed the food. The dishes are authentic. Up until recently Sagar served a lunchtime 'special' for under a tenner which made a family pit-stop here good value and a welcome change from chain restaurants. However with the absence of the lunchtime specials, and a similar meal costing £15 + drinks, a trip to Sagar has slightly lost it's appeal.

• Visited February 2014