“Totally unreliable booking "system"” 2 of 5 stars

The William IV
4.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   786 Harrow Road, London NW10 5JX, England   |
Ranked #338 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Totally unreliable booking "system"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've been staying here on and off over the last few years (when I can't get into my preferred London hotel in W9). The rooms were cheap but good and I could get a meal and work on my laptop in the bar; met a few locals and generally was looked after well by friendly staff. Sometimes there were failings in the booking system but nothing catastrophic. However with my latest booking I turned up tired and hungry after travelling from Scotland and was told there was no booking. I had booked by phone and been given a price and room number which had all been agreed and confirmed. When I arrived I was told my booking had been changed to another hotel, in Kilburn (clearly an improvised lie) and the barmaid handling my booking was not able to help me, but kept phoning someone for instruction while I waited, eventually without being given a room, or an apology, or compensation. I found a room at The Edward Hotel near Paddington which was a little more pricey but stunningly efficient in comparison, nearer the centre of town and restaurants, tube stations etc. I won't be coming back after this total failure of service. Beware.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 3 as it is the size of a bed + 12 inches on two sides of it. Don't stay...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here because it was close to where our friends were getting married, and on paper seemed perfect. In reality the William IV was a strange mix of mid-renovation to boutique hotel, nice pub, and full-on hip hop club experience. Frankly while all these things may be nice, none of them work together.

The rooms had been recently renovated, everything was new, nicely styled and clean. Staff were a little disorganised, but reasonably friendly and helpful when asked.

However, the main problem for us was that big-name djs play both Friday and Saturday night until 2am. The staff then continued to party/make noise while clearing up, meaning no sleep until 4ish. Not ideal when you have an early start for a wedding!

Think the rooms are nice (though ours was very small, and there seemed to be single people staying in much larger rooms), the refurb to rooms and hotel corridors lovely, but nice hotel rooms don't go with the (admittedly great) music and sound system until club hours. I would suggest you only stay here if you are attending a night or event there, as it doesn't work for anyone else!

Room Tip: Request a large one!! Some of the rooms here (we took a peek) are huge, especially for London, but w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandbach, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stoped at this hotel twice, this summer, and I would stop again if I needed to be conveniently located near the Portobello Markets.

The first time, I went with my boyfriend and we stopped at the very upstairs room, which is very large, modern and comfortable. The hotel was then undergoing massive internal refurbishment and the whole situation was a bit comical: for three nights, we would say hello and good bye to the kitchen staff and access our room via a set of internal stairs. On our last night there, we went out to see a show at a theatre and when we returned, there was a private party that occupied the whole of the pub downstairs. We did feel the music was uncomfortably loud but we were the only ones who felt it, everybody else seemed to be having a great time. The atmosphere was very calm and friendly though, I think we could even have dared to stop at the pub with the guests if we'd wished to. Upstairs in our bedroom, there was still a bit of noise but that didn't disturb our sleep.

The second time I went was only two weeks ago and I was on my own. I had rung to see if I could stop at the same room I previously occupied and was told that sure, no problem I could. As it was midweek, I guessed it probably wouldn't matter much which room I stayed in, the pub should be quiet anyway, but I just fancied that room and was happy to get it. On my arrival, I was greetted by the new manageress, who was very friendly. (The previous manager was very nice too.) She showed me to the new stairs: yes, the refurbishment was then finished and the guests of the hotel could come in and get out through a separate door. These new stairs were also much easier to manage, as they were wider. Also this second time, the wifi was working only I didn't get the chance to use it because I'd left my netbook at home.

The breakfast was very good everyday of both my stays. I chose to have continental breakfast but once or twice regreted it after seeing some lovely laid out and very apetising fried breakfasts being served to other guests.

The William IV is definately a pub, with the hotel taking a second place of priority. The decor is very tasty and modern throught both pub and rooms. The building is historical and beautiful and its modern interiors make it justice. It is a bit of a shame that the music can be so loud at the weekends, maybe they should re-think their policy on that. Or you could just asked for the top floor room, like I did.
This hotel is definately good value for money and I'd stop there again any time :-)

Room Tip: choose room number 1 (top floor)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hermosa Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The William IV is not a hotel.... Guest House or B and B are more accurate. As many reviews have said, it is primarily a Pub, a sprawling, large, well-worn Pub. Above the Pub via steep winding stairs are recently renovated rooms. I've actually stayed in three of the rooms, 2 singles and a much larger room during my 8 nights there. All of the rooms have been renovated with new bathroom fixtures, bedding, etcetera. The 2 singles were very small; the Standard room much larger and had 2 beds, a couch, a comfy chair and a view of the Kensal Green cemetery. All of the rooms were very clean.

The employees were nice but they just aren't focused on the House guests. Breakfast is hit or miss.... a couple of mornings there wasn't any, on the weekend it was a wonderful full-on made-to-order British fry up.

The noise... as many have complained... Weekdays the Pub is open until midnight. Most of the time I was out late so it was a non-factor. Friday and Saturday nights the place has very loud music until 2 am. My first weekend there, I was on the 3rd floor and didn't even hear the music. My last night there I was on the 2nd floor and it was definitely loud.

The W IV is in an unremarkable neighborhood but it is a 10 minute walk to the Tube station on the Bakerloo line.

So why stay at the W IV..... value. I stayed at the William IV in July and August during the Olympics. Rooms in London were going for $500 to 1000 USD, I paid $150. I believe the rooms typically go for $75.

If you are a budget traveler and can live with the things outlined above, consider the W IV

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Wish I'd read these reviews before I booked as it's the worst place I've ever stayed! Fri & Sat night should not be advertised as accommodation due to the crazy level of noise! Tried to complain through lastminute.com who I booked through off their website but they were just as interested as the pub staff! Clueless! Path to my room was through the kitchen and numerous other rooms what a nightmare and never, ever again! Hope you read this before you decide against booking!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel! Simple!
Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed two night's (Sunday and Monday) and felt the place was great. It was quiet and comfortable with good spec rooms. I will recommend it to visiting friends and family. The staff were very nice, friendly and accommodating and the breakfast good. The room was warm, however it was probably the hottest day of the year so I would expect that at most Inn's!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Pleasant green themed boutique decor, wooden flooring. The customers didn't seem very happy. Decent cocktail menu but lack of atmosphere (something it had in the past I'm informed), left it lacking.

The pub served a fantastic pint of Red Stripe. Luckily admission was free. The cost for 2 pints was slightly more than Paradise by way of Kensal Green.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The William IV? Share your experiences!